Old 08-06-2012, 01:03 PM
"C. F. Howlett"

Default Linux Tools for Serious Photographers

A little insight into the whole photo processing theme

Linux Tools for Serious Photographers

Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Scott Lavender

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:03 AM, C. F. Howlett <seattlechaz@gmail.com> wrote:

A little insight into the whole photo processing theme

Linux Tools for Serious Photographers

heh, i just learned that digikam can edit the raw picture.
i thought that digikam only would import and manage the library, that begins to explain why digikam is such a large download :P

Old 08-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 21:03 +0800, C. F. Howlett wrote:
> A little insight into the whole photo processing theme
>
> Linux Tools for Serious Photographers

Interesting.

I'm missing apps to scan photographic negatives, slides and photos on
paper. Dunno if this is possible with getting good quality results,
since all I've seen caused a bad quality. I suspect more old
photographers still need to handle those, but just a few perhaps do
cartography photos with digi cams.
Btw. I'm not a photographer, but I learned all kinds of arts and had to
learn photography too. I still own a 35mm camera and never bought a digi
cam. I can't pay professional photo laboratories, my photo laboratory
mouldered in cartons and there are no "averaged" payable photo
laboratories today that do a good job, at least I don't know them.
My former girlfriend is also not a photographer, but during her studying
she also had to learn it. She did use 35mm to shoot photos for large
posters, no medium format camera or larger format was needed. I suspect
that we got a quality loss for photography too. At least for audio I'm
missing my old analog equipment, but for audio digital stuff is less
expensive, while for photography it seems to be the other way round.

Am I mistaken, regarding to a lack of knowledge?
Is good quality digital photography payable?

Regards,
Ralf

Old 08-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Ralf Mardorf

PS: For film Werner Nekes (I sometimes made audio for his films) did
(perhaps still does) use a digital version of the Sony Betacam. There
are no prices for professional Sony cameras in the Internet
available .

From Canon to Hasseblad there are already prices from 300,-€ to 30000,-€
and my impression is that those 300,-€ cameras are crap, while an analog
300,-€ camera already was a good camera.

Any informing link is welcome. I won't buy a camera, but I like to get
knowledge about modern digi cams.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Set Hallstrm

Some of you may be happy to find out about http://www3.elphel.com/index.php especialy film makers.

Make sure you check out the project called "apertus"

Open hardware / libre software photography at its best

Have a good evening/morning/night/day all!
--
Set Hallstrm
AKA Sakrecoer

Sent from my Phonografic Computer-Integrated Camera with K-9 Mail (Open source libre software)
Excuse my brevity and my spellign.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 22:23 +0200, Set Hallstrm wrote:
> http://www3.elphel.com/index.php

"Make two cameras. One with a big sensor for the pros and one with a
smaller sensor for us enthusiasts." - http://apertus.org/en/node/152

Perhaps good, but how much without lens and how much with lens?

http://apertus.org/en/audio

*chuckle* Everything is better than analog optical soundtrack. One of
the issues where digital is better, than analog.

Somebody asked for a recorder, I didn't read everything, only had a
brief look, but IIUC it's a camera for a special software, right?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Set Hallstrom

I guess the difference depends on what lens you buy, iiuc the lens
mounting thing is standard, so the request the commenteer you quote is
doing wouldn't really be relevant. Amateurs could just opt for a cheaper
lens. http://youtu.be/mvI7rJ_AZys

> Somebody asked for a recorder, I didn't read everything, only had a
> brief look, but IIUC it's a camera for a special software, right?

I'm not sure i understand your question about the "special software". I
never really got interested in doing video, so my knowledge is little in
that field. The little i know is that it can record in several video
formats, with pretty insane resolutions and frame rates, which (i think
at least some) are editable in various videosequencers. But what makes
the particular software that apertus team is offering special imho is
that it is very powerfull open source libre software (and i believe
google used some of elphels cameras for google street view.) Hence the
reason i thought there could be interest for their project on this list.

Yours,
Set

Old 08-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 00:14 +0200, Set Hallstrom wrote:
> http://youtu.be/mvI7rJ_AZys

Thank you. I'll watch it later.

Regards,
Ralf
Hair Model & Bomb Planter

Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Stuart McQuade

You're right. There's aren't any specific prices for the Sony Pro range on their website, but there are plenty of Sony resellers who offer prices. You can get a rough idea of the prices from this site: creativevideo.co.uk.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 11:14 +0300, Stuart McQuade wrote:
> You're right. There's aren't any specific prices for the Sony Pro
> range on their website, but there are plenty of Sony resellers who
> offer prices. You can get a rough idea of the prices from this site:
> creativevideo.co.uk.

So Camcorders - Broadcast & Professional > HD Professional Shoulder
Mount today are around 10000 Britische Pfund = 12578 Euro some with,
others without lens. IIRC the old analog and later the old digital
Betacam from Sony was more expensive, but e.g. the first analog Betacam
already was as good as the Bosch studio cams from that time, the early
80s. IIRC the Bosch I know had Schneider lenses. However, it seems to be
that the averaged private citizen can pay to get a relative professional
audio studio, but video still seems to be unattainable.

For audio we can buy some professional gear and use it with some
semi-pro and consumer gear, just for fun.
For video some might be able to do a similar mix for video gear, but at
least I suspect that those people must work semi-pro or they simply must
be rich.

However, quality seems to increase and prices seem to decrease.

Interesting, but also frustrating, since I have got no hope to get a
"home video studio" ever in my life, even not with muuuuuuuuch lower
quality.

Thank you for the link,
Ralf