Old 11-28-2007, 02:32 AM
"Darrin Goodman"

Default My single quote key is misbehaving

Greetings,

Ive been using Ubuntu since Dapper (and have also used Kubuntu,
Fluxbuntu, Nubuntu...) and have been using Ubuntu Studio now since it
came out under Feisty last year. Never before have I seen this sort
of behavior, but when I installed the Gutsy version of Ubuntu Studio,
my single quote key on my laptop keyboard started misbehaving.

Essentially, when I hit the single quote key, on the first click,
nothing happens, or sometimes my computer will beep at me but it wont
print the quote. Usually, the single quote appears after the second
click of the key. Also, the single quote is not the standard tick
mark, but is rather a very sloped single quote. Not sure if the slope
comes across or not in this email. ( )

The machine is a Thinkpad X60. Anyone have any ideas? This is
strange behavior. Thanks!

- Darrin

Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 AM
"Luis de Bethencourt"

Fix the keyboard layout. What you are seeing is not a single quote but
a latin accent.

' -> quote
` -> accent
-> other accent

Why you have to press it twice? Because ccnts g with lttrs. So
you prss the accent and then the lttr it goes with. And if you want
it alone, you press it twice.

Luis de Bethencourt

On Nov 28, 2007 9:08 AM, adam faranda <adam.faranda@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had a problem similar to this in 7.04, after I installed an update. Some
> how the keyboard layout was changed. Reseting the keyboard layout to the
> standard US keyboard worked for me.
>

> On Nov 27, 2007 10:32 PM, Darrin Goodman <darrin.goodman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Ive been using Ubuntu since Dapper (and have also used Kubuntu,
> > Fluxbuntu, Nubuntu...) and have been using Ubuntu Studio now since it
> > came out under Feisty last year. Never before have I seen this sort
> > of behavior, but when I installed the Gutsy version of Ubuntu Studio,
> > my single quote key on my laptop keyboard started misbehaving.
> >
> > Essentially, when I hit the single quote key, on the first click,
> > nothing happens, or sometimes my computer will beep at me but it wont
> > print the quote. Usually, the single quote appears after the second
> > click of the key. Also, the single quote is not the standard tick
> > mark, but is rather a very sloped single quote. Not sure if the slope
> > comes across or not in this email. ( )
> >
> > The machine is a Thinkpad X60. Anyone have any ideas? This is
> > strange behavior. Thanks!
> >
> > - Darrin
> >
> > --

Luis de Bethencourt Guimer
luisbg
<luisbg@ubuntu.com>
GPG: B0ED1326

Old 11-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Yvan Vander Sanden

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 20:32 -0700, Darrin Goodman wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I´ve been using Ubuntu since Dapper (and have also used Kubuntu,
> Fluxbuntu, Nubuntu...) and have been using Ubuntu Studio now since it
> came out under Feisty last year. Never before have I seen this sort
> of behavior, but when I installed the Gutsy version of Ubuntu Studio,
> my single quote key on my laptop keyboard started misbehaving.
>
> Essentially, when I hit the single quote key, on the first click,
> nothing happens, or sometimes my computer will beep at me but it won´t
> print the quote. Usually, the single quote appears after the second
> click of the key. Also, the single quote is not the standard tick
> mark, but is rather a very sloped single quote. Not sure if the slope
> comes across or not in this email. ( ´ )

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

If you want the standard tick mark, press the quote followed by a space.
This is also very handy for making characters with accents. Just type
the quote followed by the character: é á ź ć

backwards accents can be formed with the quote left from the number one:

* è

Trema's with the double quote ä ë etc.

You should be able to change this behaviour using
System->preferences->keyboard but I don't know what option you should
choose. Guess you have to experiment a bit. On the other hand, this
feature is really handy if you get used to it. Maybe you should try it
for a few weeks.

yvan

Old 11-28-2007, 11:24 AM
"Fernando M Lacerda"

Hi there!

Seems like you don't want the "key composing" feature. If you want to
type and get with only one move, then you should disable "key
composing" on your "keyboard preferences". But you will be unable to
easily type the composed characters
... If this feature means nothing to you at all, this is all up to
you.

But Luis is right, you should know the actual single quote is not the
key, but the ' (mine is left from #1, I use a brazilian keyboard
layout).

Cheers!

Fernando M. Lacerda

Old 11-28-2007, 11:33 AM
"Luis de Bethencourt"

Mine is below the ? key.
' -> without shift
? -> with shift

Spanish keyboard. No clue why they make the international keyboards so
different from each other. All the latin languages should have a
similar one and they don't. Portuguese isn't that different from
spanish.

Luis

On Nov 28, 2007 1:24 PM, Fernando M Lacerda <fernandomlac@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> Seems like you don't want the "key composing" feature. If you want to
> type and get with only one move, then you should disable "key
> composing" on your "keyboard preferences". But you will be unable to
> easily type the composed characters
> ... If this feature means nothing to you at all, this is all up to
> you.
>
> But Luis is right, you should know the actual single quote is not the
> key, but the ' (mine is left from #1, I use a brazilian keyboard
> layout).
>
> Cheers!
>
> Fernando M. Lacerda
>

> On Nov 28, 2007 1:32 AM, Darrin Goodman <darrin.goodman@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Ive been using Ubuntu since Dapper (and have also used Kubuntu,
> > Fluxbuntu, Nubuntu...) and have been using Ubuntu Studio now since it
> > came out under Feisty last year. Never before have I seen this sort
> > of behavior, but when I installed the Gutsy version of Ubuntu Studio,
> > my single quote key on my laptop keyboard started misbehaving.
> >
> > Essentially, when I hit the single quote key, on the first click,
> > nothing happens, or sometimes my computer will beep at me but it wont
> > print the quote. Usually, the single quote appears after the second
> > click of the key. Also, the single quote is not the standard tick
> > mark, but is rather a very sloped single quote. Not sure if the slope
> > comes across or not in this email. ( )
> >
> > The machine is a Thinkpad X60. Anyone have any ideas? This is
> > strange behavior. Thanks!
> >
> > - Darrin
> >
> > --

Luis de Bethencourt Guimer
luisbg
<luisbg@ubuntu.com>
GPG: B0ED1326

Old 11-28-2007, 02:46 PM
"Darrin Goodman"

Nice! Thank you all for your help. I will check this out further
when I get home tonight.

Although I studied French and German in my younger years, English is
really the only language that I am typing these days; I don't often
need to type accents, but I am frequently needing to use an apostrophe
or needing a single quote when writing code.

Since I didn't find this feature in Ubuntu, I made the incorrect
assumption that this was a bug.

Thanks again for all of your help!

- Darrin

On Nov 28, 2007 5:33 AM, Luis de Bethencourt <bethencourt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mine is below the ? key.
> ' -> without shift
> ? -> with shift
>
> Spanish keyboard. No clue why they make the international keyboards so
> different from each other. All the latin languages should have a
> similar one and they don't. Portuguese isn't that different from
> spanish.
>
> Luis
>

> On Nov 28, 2007 1:24 PM, Fernando M Lacerda <fernandomlac@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there!
> >
> > Seems like you don't want the "key composing" feature. If you want to
> > type and get with only one move, then you should disable "key
> > composing" on your "keyboard preferences". But you will be unable to
> > easily type the composed characters
> > ... If this feature means nothing to you at all, this is all up to
> > you.
> >
> > But Luis is right, you should know the actual single quote is not the
> > key, but the ' (mine is left from #1, I use a brazilian keyboard
> > layout).
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Fernando M. Lacerda
> >

> > On Nov 28, 2007 1:32 AM, Darrin Goodman <darrin.goodman@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > Ive been using Ubuntu since Dapper (and have also used Kubuntu,
> > > Fluxbuntu, Nubuntu...) and have been using Ubuntu Studio now since it
> > > came out under Feisty last year. Never before have I seen this sort
> > > of behavior, but when I installed the Gutsy version of Ubuntu Studio,
> > > my single quote key on my laptop keyboard started misbehaving.
> > >
> > > Essentially, when I hit the single quote key, on the first click,
> > > nothing happens, or sometimes my computer will beep at me but it wont
> > > print the quote. Usually, the single quote appears after the second
> > > click of the key. Also, the single quote is not the standard tick
> > > mark, but is rather a very sloped single quote. Not sure if the slope
> > > comes across or not in this email. ( )
> > >
> > > The machine is a Thinkpad X60. Anyone have any ideas? This is
> > > strange behavior. Thanks!
> > >
> > > - Darrin
> > >
> > > --

> Luis de Bethencourt Guimer
> luisbg
> <luisbg@ubuntu.com>
> GPG: B0ED1326

. __o
._ <,
(*)/,(*)
----------------^----------^^-------------------------^---^--^^-^--------------------^^----------------
Personally, I'd argue that MS is the dark side. Linux is
enlightenment. Obi-won would have used Linux. Yoda probably BSD
without GUI. Han would have used Sabayon (lots of glitz). Luke would
have used a Mac
-- Jim Hutchinson

Old 11-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Larry Lines

I just had this problem the other day. I re-installed ubuntu studio on
my laptop and I ended up with this crazy ' only happening when I typed
it twice. If I typed 's it gave me a different character that kind of
looked like 's but was some other character.

I apparently missed a character during the keyboard test during setup
and it gave me a U.S. English International (with dead keys) default
keyboard layout.

You have to go to system-preferences keyboard and change the layout. It
took some experimentation until I figured out which one I actually
needed and I ended up with U.S. English and now it is fine.

Larry Lines