Old 07-06-2012, 01:43 PM
"John T. Dillon III"

Default DVD Drive not recognized after install

I recently download the 12.04*version*64 bit and*installed*and it went*smooth*(nice*job). *After the reboot and working with the system, I was going to work with getting some music and play a movie or two. While doing this the machine no longer sees the dvd drive. *The machine is an acer aspire timeline 5810. *It is the same drive I used to install ubuntu from. *I used to ubuntu 11.10 and the drive worked fine.
Thanks for any guidance in this matter as I have been searching on it and to this point no luck.John

Old 07-11-2012, 12:39 PM
"laurent.bellegarde"

Le 06/07/2012 15:43, John T. Dillon III
I recently download the 12.04*version*64 bit and*installed*and
it went*smooth*(nice*job). *After the reboot and working with
the system, I was going to work with getting some music and play
a movie or two. While doing this the machine no longer sees the
dvd drive. *The machine is an acer aspire timeline 5810. *It is
the same drive I used to install ubuntu from. *I used to ubuntu
11.10 and the drive worked fine.

Thanks for any guidance in this matter as I have been
searching on it and to this point no luck.
John

Hi,

to know more about what is wrong,

launch a terminal and then open the DVD drive, put a CD-R with data,
or a DVD-R with data, or a dvd-video, close the drive.

After 2 or 3 seconds, something should happen on your screen if the
install is ok, a program such as nautilus or totem. This mean that
your optical drive is well know by ubuntu.

if not, in the terminal, write this command : dmesg

a long list is going to appear, have a look to the last lines, they
talk about want happen when you put the CD or DVD into the optical
drive.

copy and cut theses lines in your next email, maybe we can have a
start of solution for you.

Laurent