-   -   dssi-vst (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/672934-dssi-vst.html)

Douglas Regehr 05-31-2012 03:37 AM

dssi-vst

I want to install dssi-vst on my US12.04 box so I can run addictive drums.* But when I do "sudo apt-get install dssi-vst", it threatens to remove all sorts of other useful packages, including ardour:

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree******
Reading state information... Done
* libjack-jackd2-0:i386 liblo7:i386 libsamplerate0:i386
Suggested packages:
* jackd2:i386 liblo-dev:i386

The following packages will be REMOVED:
* ardour dssi-host-jack dssi-utils fluidsynth-dssi hexter jamin liblo7
* qtractor sooperlooper ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-generation
* ubuntustudio-recording ubuntustudio-video whysynth xjadeo xsynth-dssi

* dssi-vst:i386 libjack-jackd2-0:i386 liblo7:i386 libsamplerate0:i386
0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 16 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,718 kB of archives.

After this operation, 138 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

Is there something wrong with the dssi-vst package, or is there something wrong with me?

On a more general note, what is the best way to run VST plugins on Ubuntu Studio these days?* Is dssi-vst the way to go or should I be using something else e.g. festige, reaper, ...?

Thanks,

Doug

Ralf Mardorf 05-31-2012 06:16 AM

dssi-vst

It's the same dependency issue here. If I try to install dssi-vst:i386
0.9.2-1ubuntu5 it will remove important audio packages. Fortunately I'm
not interested in dssi-vst.

You need to run Reaper with wineasio, which will cause too much jitter
for serious work. Reaper is Windows software. You can compile some Linux
apps, such as Qtractor with VST support. AFAIK Steinberg's proprietary
headers will work better, than the Linux "VST" headers for Qtractor.

Anyway, you need to compile vst-dssi and/or at least some dependency
yourself.

- Ralf

Jean Huber 05-31-2012 11:03 AM

dssi-vst

According to me, DSSI-VST might be installed into standard
UbuntuStudio, unless I am mistaken and it is into TangoStudio...

Reaper does work fine with UbuntuStudio and lots of VST's do work
well within it. It is supposed to be one of the best when it comes
to running VST's. The only limitation I have encountered is that it
accepts only the number of material inputs from the soundcard under
Jack, using Wineasio.

E.G. :* Jack would let 32 outputs from Hydrogen (sorry, it's my drum
machine), but only 2 inputs toward Reaper.

But Reaper can allow X outputs from a given VST, depending on the
VST itself, so it may not be a worry for you.

Ther is also JOST : Jack Host,
http://www.anticore.org/jucetice/?page_id=4 , or
http://www.linuxmao.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=JOST for a
French description.

Supports VST, LADSPA and DSSI plugins...