Old 05-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Default New to this list -

On 05/31/2012 07:55 AM, bart deruyter wrote:

For writing scores I use lilypond, a very steep learning curve, but
superb output,
even better then it's propietary alternatives that have a gui and drag
and drop system. Otherwise Musescore
is a good alternative, though it has some limitations.

2012/5/31 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net
<mailto:ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>>

On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 08:56 +0200, bart deruyter wrote:
> Rosegarden does it all, and with a score. But I'm not a fan of
it... I
> had too many issues with it, but it might work out well for you.

+1

Thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm just starting with making music
into song tracks; I don't care about printing out the score. So far I
looked at MuseScore. Seems pretty easy, need to find the instruments
sounds I like.
RoseGarden is next on the list to try. And I'll have a look at Lilypond
too.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy on the internet.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 11:44 -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> On 05/31/2012 07:55 AM, bart deruyter wrote:
> >
> > For writing scores I use lilypond, a very steep learning curve, but
> > superb output,
> > even better then it's propietary alternatives that have a gui and drag
> > and drop system. Otherwise Musescore
> > is a good alternative, though it has some limitations.
>

> > 2012/5/31 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net
> > <mailto:ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>>
> >
> > On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 08:56 +0200, bart deruyter wrote:
> > > Rosegarden does it all, and with a score. But I'm not a fan of
> > it... I
> > > had too many issues with it, but it might work out well for you.
> >
> > +1
>
> Thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm just starting with making music
> into song tracks; I don't care about printing out the score. So far I
> looked at MuseScore. Seems pretty easy, need to find the instruments
> sounds I like.
> RoseGarden is next on the list to try. And I'll have a look at Lilypond
> too.

IIRC one of Rosegarden's drawbacks is that the system freeze, when
trying to use HPET. The HPET/hrtimer might be needed to decrease MIDI
jitter.

Btw. a drawback of Qtractor is the file management. It's hard to archive
snapshots or to play a song using different directories, e.g. to play a
copy of the song. Rosegarden does those jobs very good. OTOH does
Qtractor generate MIDI files, while IIRC Rosegarden has got it's own
format.

- Ralf