-   -   Ubuntu Studio Community Wiki updated (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/668417-ubuntu-studio-community-wiki-updated.html)

Kaj Ailomaa 05-18-2012 10:19 PM

Ubuntu Studio Community Wiki updated

On behalf of the Ubuntu Studio Dev Team I would like to present the
newly updated Ubuntu Studio Community Wiki, at:

http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio

All though this is a community driven Documentation project, the front
page is now laid out to be more in the style of official documentation,
with pointed out places for Ubuntu Studio users to contribute - the most
obvious being the HowTo's section at
http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/HowTos (which could
include anything from how to build your own kernel to converting audio
files).

Opinions are welcome, and also, contributions.

Satyen Sheth 05-19-2012 05:10 AM

Ubuntu Studio Community Wiki updated

I don't mean to be super critical, maybe something is up at 10:01 PST.. but page is very slow to load.
Example.. developer tools show some png's taking a *long* time to load.

Here is one which took 1.3 min to load

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToQjackCtlConnections?action="">

I'd imagine that other's would have pulled these assets and thus it would be served from cache?
Don't know if other's experience slow page loads.

-S

Kaj Ailomaa 05-19-2012 05:41 AM

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToQjackCtlConnections?action=AttachFile&do=get& target=TutQjackCtlConnections6.png

I'd imagine that other's would have pulled these assets and thus it would
be served from cache?
Don't know if other's experience slow page loads.

-S

No problems here. That page has been around for a long time. Only the
link to it has been moved to another page, so I don't think it is
because of any recent changes anyway. I do find that the wiki can be
slow at times, but only for short periods.

bart deruyter 05-19-2012 05:43 AM

Ubuntu Studio Community Wiki updated

Hey,

looks great:-), congrats.
I'm considering to contribute to it indeed. Noticed some small misconception. Lilypond is not used to write scores as if they were written by hand. No application could ever achieve that exept mypaint with a wacom tablet :-). It's used to write professional quality scores for printing and publishing, with ideals and the quality of by hand typesetting of scores of the old days in mind.

How far does the wiki go? I mean, what's the scope, limited to pure technical stuff of software installation and hardware setup, or can it go further, like actual tutorials about how to write a score in lilypond, or how to make a simple/complicated song with some applications?

grtz,

Bart
http://www.bartart3d.be/
On facebook

On Twitter
On Identi.ca
On Google+

Kaj Ailomaa 05-19-2012 06:03 AM

Ubuntu Studio Community Wiki updated

I'm considering to contribute to it indeed. Noticed some small
misconception. Lilypond is not used to write scores as if they were written
by hand. No application could ever achieve that exept mypaint with a wacom
tablet :-). It's used to write professional quality scores for printing and
publishing, with ideals and the quality of by hand typesetting of scores of
the old days in mind.

How far does the wiki go? I mean, what's the scope, limited to pure
technical stuff of software installation and hardware setup, or can it go
further, like actual tutorials about how to write a score in lilypond, or
how to make a simple/complicated song with some applications?

grtz,

Bart

As I was looking through the pages while looking through the old layout
for the wiki, I moved the links for some pages to
http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/HowTos, but I didn't look
through the contents very carefully. If something seems out of date, or
inaccurate, just go ahead and make changes.

I don't think there's any limitations to the range of what the wiki
could consist of. The howto section is a perfect place to add just about
anything. I think it would be nice to have some more activity on the
wiki as a whole.

http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/Resources is a good place
to add links to interesting sites. I've only begun populating it, and
I'm sure there's lots more that could be added, so feel free to do so.

Kaj Ailomaa 05-19-2012 06:11 AM

Ubuntu Studio Community Wiki updated

I don't think there's any limitations to the range of what the wiki
could consist of. The howto section is a perfect place to add just about
anything. I think it would be nice to have some more activity on the
wiki as a whole.

http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/Resources is a good place
to add links to interesting sites. I've only begun populating it, and
I'm sure there's lots more that could be added, so feel free to do so.

I suppose as long as it relates to using Ubuntu Studio, for whatever
media/artistic purpose.