Old 04-08-2008, 06:44 PM
altern

Default kernel question

hi

i have an up to date Ubuntu Studio system, i am a bit confused about
which kernel i should boot my system with 2.6.21-1-multimedia-486 or
2.6.22-14-generic?

I would need to use the one that gets most of the sound apps. I use
freebob with external soundcard

thanks

enrike

Old 04-08-2008, 07:48 PM
"David Adler"

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:44 PM, altern <altern2@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi
>
> i have an up to date Ubuntu Studio system, i am a bit confused about
> which kernel i should boot my system with 2.6.21-1-multimedia-486 or
> 2.6.22-14-generic?

For audio work you should always boot the multimedia-kernel to make
sure your audio-apps can nicely work in realtime without xruns
occurring in Jack, especially when CPU-usage runs high.

The advantage of the generic kernel is IMHO lower power consumption,
which is relevant on Laptops but apart from that the multimedia-kernel
works fine for all tasks.

You might have a look at this thread
http://www.nabble.com/Realtime-Kernel-to16126537.html#a16382326
where a similar question was discussed in more depth.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:53 PM
"Toby Smithe"

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:48 PM, David Adler <david.jo.adler@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:44 PM, altern <altern2@gmail.com> wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > i have an up to date Ubuntu Studio system, i am a bit confused about
> > which kernel i should boot my system with 2.6.21-1-multimedia-486 or
> > 2.6.22-14-generic?
>
> For audio work you should always boot the multimedia-kernel to make
> sure your audio-apps can nicely work in realtime without xruns
> occurring in Jack, especially when CPU-usage runs high.

Erm, no. Ubuntu doesn't ship any -multimedia kernel, nor any 2.6.21
kernel. Is this from Debian? Whatever it is, it's not supported.

Please install the linux-rt package to get a supported realtime kernel.

-- Toby

Old 04-08-2008, 08:04 PM
"David Adler"

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Toby Smithe <tsmithe@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:48 PM, David Adler <david.jo.adler@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:44 PM, altern <altern2@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > hi
> > >
> > > i have an up to date Ubuntu Studio system, i am a bit confused about
> > > which kernel i should boot my system with 2.6.21-1-multimedia-486 or
> > > 2.6.22-14-generic?
> >
> > For audio work you should always boot the multimedia-kernel to make
> > sure your audio-apps can nicely work in realtime without xruns
> > occurring in Jack, especially when CPU-usage runs high.
>
> Erm, no. Ubuntu doesn't ship any -multimedia kernel, nor any 2.6.21
> kernel. Is this from Debian? Whatever it is, it's not supported.
>
> Please install the linux-rt package to get a supported realtime kernel.
>
> -- Toby

Sorry for that, I am not on ubuntu here anymore, i just naively
expected the kernel named *multimedia* to be the default
ubuntu-studio-rt-kernel. Of course, Toby is right, install linux-rt.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:07 PM
altern

Toby Smithe(e)k dio:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:48 PM, David Adler <david.jo.adler@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:44 PM, altern <altern2@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > hi
>> >
>> > i have an up to date Ubuntu Studio system, i am a bit confused about
>> > which kernel i should boot my system with 2.6.21-1-multimedia-486 or
>> > 2.6.22-14-generic?
>>
>> For audio work you should always boot the multimedia-kernel to make
>> sure your audio-apps can nicely work in realtime without xruns
>> occurring in Jack, especially when CPU-usage runs high.
>
> Erm, no. Ubuntu doesn't ship any -multimedia kernel, nor any 2.6.21
> kernel. Is this from Debian? Whatever it is, it's not supported.

mmm... maybe is from debian, i did some tests last month

> Please install the linux-rt package to get a supported realtime kernel.

ok, i thought it was weird not to get a RT kernel, I guess when I
upgraded I did something wrong, or skipped some step. I guess I need to
clean up my system...

thanks!

enrike

Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 PM
altern

David Adler(e)k dio:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Toby Smithe <tsmithe@ubuntu.com> wrote:

>> > For audio work you should always boot the multimedia-kernel to make
>> > sure your audio-apps can nicely work in realtime without xruns
>> > occurring in Jack, especially when CPU-usage runs high.
>>
>> Erm, no. Ubuntu doesn't ship any -multimedia kernel, nor any 2.6.21
>> kernel. Is this from Debian? Whatever it is, it's not supported.
>>
>> Please install the linux-rt package to get a supported realtime kernel.
>>
>> -- Toby
>>
> Sorry for that, I am not on ubuntu here anymore, i just naively
> expected the kernel named *multimedia* to be the default
> ubuntu-studio-rt-kernel. Of course, Toby is right, install linux-rt.

i think it was the previous release that had the multimedia name

enrike

Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 PM
"Cory K."

altern wrote:
> i think it was the previous release that had the multimedia name
>
> enrike

The Feisty release used -lowlatency. Then it became -rt. That's it.

64Studio uses -multimedia.

-Cory K. m/

Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 PM
altern

Toby Smithe(e)k dio:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:48 PM, David Adler <david.jo.adler@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:44 PM, altern <altern2@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > hi
>> >
>> > i have an up to date Ubuntu Studio system, i am a bit confused about
>> > which kernel i should boot my system with 2.6.21-1-multimedia-486 or
>> > 2.6.22-14-generic?
>>
>> For audio work you should always boot the multimedia-kernel to make
>> sure your audio-apps can nicely work in realtime without xruns
>> occurring in Jack, especially when CPU-usage runs high.
>
> Erm, no. Ubuntu doesn't ship any -multimedia kernel, nor any 2.6.21
> kernel. Is this from Debian? Whatever it is, it's not supported.
>
> Please install the linux-rt package to get a supported realtime kernel.

just installed this and upgraded the system and my wifi network is gone,
freebob fails to start ... nice one it upgraded few things on top of
installing the linux-rt package, like network manager and linux modules.

enrike

Old 04-09-2008, 06:30 PM
altern

hi all again

> Toby Smithe(e)k dio:
>> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:48 PM, David Adler <david.jo.adler@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> For audio work you should always boot the multimedia-kernel to make
>>> sure your audio-apps can nicely work in realtime without xruns
>>> occurring in Jack, especially when CPU-usage runs high.
>>
>> Erm, no. Ubuntu doesn't ship any -multimedia kernel, nor any 2.6.21
>> kernel. Is this from Debian? Whatever it is, it's not supported.
>>
>> Please install the linux-rt package to get a supported realtime kernel.
>
> just installed this and upgraded the system and my wifi network is gone,
> freebob fails to start ... nice one it upgraded few things on top of
> installing the linux-rt package, like network manager and linux modules.

sorry if i am asking too many questions ... i just want to get this
system up and running before tomorrow.

I decided to reinstall Ubuntu Studio, I had a bit of a mess with jack
and some apps in my prev system. Better to have a fresh one.

Now with the generic kernel I get all general stuff working fine, only
jack with freebob is not stable. Then with the RT kernel jack runs fine
so far but I dont get wifi connection. My card is not displayed by lspci.

Is this normal? For me it is good and bad, good because it was causing
conflicts with freebob and bad because sometimes i need network when
working with sound. I guess the module that deals with my wifi card is
not loaded, maybe I should compare a lsmod with both kernels? then i
guess i would need to load the module with the RT kernel and see if it
works.

Otherwise all seems to work fine. BTW, is there is a mode to switch
kernels without rebooting?

thanks!

enrike

Old 06-18-2008, 12:45 PM
"Paul Melvin"

Hi,

*

I have three questions please:

*

1.******
If I compile my own kernel will it ruin anything that
ubuntu has done, I have read that ubuntu does some special stuff and I don’t
really want to break anything.

2.******
How can I find out exactly what my kernel is using
(i.e. exactly what it has, whether it is built-in or modules), for example could
I use make menconfig.

3.******
Can I just use the build-dep linux-source… to get
everything for me?

*

Cheers

*