-   -   Thank you for US Precise :) (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/661706-thank-you-us-precise.html)

Ralf Mardorf 05-01-2012 07:52 AM

Thank you for US Precise :)

I didn't test audio/MIDI production until now, but for my "average
consumer desktop usage needs" I nearly had to change nothing.

I got rid of pulse (and it was possible without any issue).
I needed to edit one color for the terminal.
I had to change the sub pixel setting and I increased the fonts.
I did minimal changes for the top panel and minimal changes for the
button panel.
(I had to copy xorg.conf from another install)
Until now multimedia works perfect, the DE layouts are very good
(excepted of this unreadable color for the terminal).
The menu order is better than the "common menu order", the only problem
is that I'm still accustomed to the "common, bad style" ;).

Since I can't say anything about production quality, I at least would
install US Precise for "averaged home-computer users".

When installing US I only didn't like that I have to install a boot
loader, so I needed to boot the Linux with the bootloader(-menu) I wish
to use and rewrite GRUB Legacy to the HHD, not really a big deal and
OTOH, I only had to copy the entry from grub.cfg and do some minimal
changes, since I don't use GRUB 2. A GRUB 2 user could simply copy and
paste, so being forced to install a bootloader has also an advantage.

Users anyway need different apps, such as e.g. MUAs.

Dunno, perhaps K3b by default would be a better choice, I kept Brasero
and add K3b. I removed the screenshot utility and installed Shutter.

Anyway, the default IMO is nearly perfect, for the next installer I
would like to have an option to choose a meta-package for compiling
software and kernels, not everybody needs this, but some people (like
me) install this equipment.

Resume: I recommend averaged computer users to install US Precise.
Perhaps it's good for production too.

Nearly forgot:

I prefer single clicks and Thunar, since it provides "View > Location
Selector > Toolbar Style", I guess this is dropped for Nautilus.

Thank you, you did a very good job :)! I'm glad that it's a LTS :).

Regards,
Ralf

Ralf Mardorf 05-01-2012 07:54 AM

Thank you for US Precise :)

> I did minimal changes for the top panel and minimal changes for the
> button panel.
^^^^^^ bottom ;)

Ralf Mardorf 05-01-2012 08:03 AM

Thank you for US Precise :)

PPS: I forgot that I didn't solve the RAM issue. I don't need 4GB, I'm
comfortable with 3.8GB. I've got the money to get more RAM, but I really
don't need it. I wonder if people who need more than 3.8GB are able to
access their RAM on x86_64. It shouldn't be an issue for 64-bit
architecture.