Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default No audio output using Precise due to pulseaudio?

I've got a RME HDSPe AIO card for audio IOs and MIDI and I've got 2
TerraTec EWX 96/24 for MIDI.

The first and only audio test failed.

I played a Youtube music video with Firefox and there's no audio output.

The pulseaudio crap does show my TerraTec cards only. I rebooted until
the RME card became hw:0, but this doesn't improve anything.

How do I get audio output?

Regards,
Ralf

Old 04-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Ralf Mardorf

With Synaptic I simply removed some packages:

Commit Log for Sun Apr 29 19:56:05 2012

Completely removed the following packages:
pulseaudio

Removed the following packages:
indicator-sound
indicator-sound-gtk2
libcanberra-pulse
pulseaudio-module-gconf
pulseaudio-module-jack
pulseaudio-module-x11
ubuntustudio-desktop
ubuntustudio-generation
ubuntustudio-recording

Commit Log for Sun Apr 29 19:58:05 2012

Completely removed the following packages:
gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
libpulsedsp
pavucontrol
pulseaudio-utils

I rebooted.

Now there's sound for Firefox Youtube and if I use Thunar and click on a
mp3, everything is ok too. For the media player Thunar is using just a
Window pops up "No suitable mixer element found. snd_mixer_find_selem
failed.", but anyway everything is ok.
For QjackCtl and Yoshimi also everything is ok.
Removing the meta packages doesn't remove the apps. If needed I would
build a pulseaudio dummy package using equivs, at the moment it's
unneeded.

Regards,
Ralf