Old 04-27-2012, 01:27 PM
G L Romeu

Default 12.04 studio release...

well done Scott. I had a flawless install of Xubuntu as per your
request last week, i am downloading studio as i am typing this (on
another computer!).
thank you for your efforts...gabriel

Old 04-27-2012, 02:58 PM
george dicegeorge

ubuntustudio installed like a dream on this win7 laptop as dual boot today,
back in win7 now as i havent time to transfer email etc over today.

thanks team

[george]

Old 04-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Ralf Mardorf

To much traffic now .

spinymouse@oz:~/Downloads$ wget
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/precise/release/ubuntustudio-12.04-dvd-amd64.iso
--2012-04-27 17:49:30--
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/precise/release/ubuntustudio-12.04-dvd-amd64.iso
Resolving cdimage.ubuntu.com... 91.189.92.168
Connecting to cdimage.ubuntu.com|91.189.92.168|:80... ^C
spinymouse@oz:~/Downloads$ wget
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/precise/release/ubuntustudio-12.04-dvd-amd64.iso
--2012-04-27 17:51:41--
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/precise/release/ubuntustudio-12.04-dvd-amd64.iso
Resolving cdimage.ubuntu.com... 91.189.92.168
Connecting to cdimage.ubuntu.com|91.189.92.168|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... ^C
spinymouse@oz:~/Downloads$ wget
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/precise/release/ubuntustudio-12.04-dvd-amd64.iso
--2012-04-27 17:52:08--
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/precise/release/ubuntustudio-12.04-dvd-amd64.iso
Resolving cdimage.ubuntu.com... 91.189.92.168
Connecting to cdimage.ubuntu.com|91.189.92.168|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... ^C
[snip]
spinymouse@oz:~/Downloads$ wget
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/precise/release/ubuntustudio-12.04-dvd-amd64.iso
--2012-04-27 17:54:44--
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/precise/release/ubuntustudio-12.04-dvd-amd64.iso
Resolving cdimage.ubuntu.com... 91.189.92.168
Connecting to cdimage.ubuntu.com|91.189.92.168|:80... connected.
Length: 2066460672 (1.9G) [application/x-iso9660-image]
Saving to: `ubuntustudio-12.04-dvd-amd64.iso'

0% [
] 10,595,196 214K/s eta 2h 41m ^
1% [> ]

Ralf

Old 04-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Rob

On 04/27/2012 11:59 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> To much traffic now .

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/12.04/release/ubuntustudio-12.04-dvd-amd64.iso.torrent
ought to work fine... at least the 386 version of it downloaded in like
half an hour for me, and still seeding.

Rob

Old 04-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 12:06 -0400, Rob wrote:
> On 04/27/2012 11:59 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > To much traffic now .
>
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/12.04/release/ubuntustudio-12.04-dvd-amd64.iso.torrent
> ought to work fine... at least the 386 version of it downloaded in like
> half an hour for me, and still seeding.
>
> Rob

Good idea Rob,

next time I should use torrent too. Thank you for seeding .
Today I'll stay at the wget download. It's at 37% and it will still take
96 minutes. Time for me to read and answer tons of old emails.

Regards,
Ralf

Old 04-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Janne Jokitalo

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 06:53:41PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
<snip>
> Today I'll stay at the wget download. It's at 37% and it will still take
> 96 minutes. Time for me to read and answer tons of old emails.

Ralf, you do know the -c switch for wget? It's continuing from where it left
off, if the connection drops at some point.

--
Jaska

Old 04-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 21:41 +0300, Janne Jokitalo wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 06:53:41PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> <snip>
> > Today I'll stay at the wget download. It's at 37% and it will still take
> > 96 minutes. Time for me to read and answer tons of old emails.
>
> Ralf, you do know the -c switch for wget? It's continuing from where it left
> off, if the connection drops at some point.

Sometimes, if it doesn't start immediately, I experienced that Ctrl + C
and trying again is faster than to wait. Once it started, it didn't
stop, there was no need to continue.

$ wget [snip]
--2012-04-27 17:54:44--
[snip]
100%[================================================== ===================>] 2,066,460,672 221K/s in 2h 34m

2012-04-27 20:29:02 (218 KB/s) - `ubuntustudio-12.04-dvd-amd64.iso'
saved [2066460672/2066460672]

Anyway, I had time to search the web for command line torrent clients.
IMO it's smarter to download and upload by torrent, if we all try to get
a new release .

Btw. are there already recommendations how to disable PA? I'll test the
bridge, but I guess I'll disable PA later.

Can I assume that I will be forced to install GRUB 2 and that I have to
restore my GRUB Legacy after installing Ubuntu Studio?

Regards,
Ralf

Old 04-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 21:00 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 21:41 +0300, Janne Jokitalo wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 06:53:41PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Today I'll stay at the wget download. It's at 37% and it will still take
> > > 96 minutes. Time for me to read and answer tons of old emails.
> >
> > Ralf, you do know the -c switch for wget? It's continuing from where it left
> > off, if the connection drops at some point.
>
> Sometimes, if it doesn't start immediately, I experienced that Ctrl + C
> and trying again is faster than to wait. Once it started, it didn't
> stop, there was no need to continue.
>
> $ wget [snip]
> --2012-04-27 17:54:44--
> [snip]
> 100%[================================================== ===================>] 2,066,460,672 221K/s in 2h 34m
>
> 2012-04-27 20:29:02 (218 KB/s) - `ubuntustudio-12.04-dvd-amd64.iso'
> saved [2066460672/2066460672]
>
> Anyway, I had time to search the web for command line torrent clients.
> IMO it's smarter to download and upload by torrent, if we all try to get
> a new release .
>
> Btw. are there already recommendations how to disable PA? I'll test the
> bridge, but I guess I'll disable PA later.
>
> Can I assume that I will be forced to install GRUB 2 and that I have to
> restore my GRUB Legacy after installing Ubuntu Studio?
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

PS: Thank you for remembering me, that I can continue, if needed. I did
know that, IIRC today even Firefox and other browsers are able to
continue.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Gustin Johnson

Anyway, I had time to search the web for command line torrent clients.

IMO it's smarter to download and upload by torrent, if we all try to get

a new release .

Btw. are there already recommendations how to disable PA? I'll test the

bridge, but I guess I'll disable PA later.

Can I assume that I will be forced to install GRUB 2 and that I have to

restore my GRUB Legacy after installing Ubuntu Studio?

Forced to install Grub2? *Yes it is the default but you are free to mangle your install after the fact.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:10 PM
"laurent.bellegarde"

Hi all,

i've been testing ubuntu 12.04 since 1 month, on alpha and then beta
releases.

This release is excellent, very stable and work faster (+15%) on my old
laptop. I'm running now 12.04 amd 64 with this kernel :

3.2.0-23-generic (ubuntu's standard one)

and I use synaptic to add qjacktl, jackd, ardour and hydrogen.

I've tested today this kernel in realtime with hydrogen, and i succeded
to work at 11,6ms with my simple via integrated audiocard with no
x-runs... Jack indicate 3% of charge when hydrogen was playing.

Another thing, i've done nothing to configure right and access, and
everything is working out of the box.

So congratulations to all the developpement and packaging job done.

I'm re-writing at this time the second release of my book, and i'm going
to talk again about ubuntu/ubuntu studio/audio and video tools and all
improvements done.
the adress of the book : (only in french language at this time) :
http://www.lprod.org/wiki/doku.php/association:livre_eyrolles

Laurent