Old 03-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Matthias Beyer

Default Hi there, I need help to configure Ubuntustudio on my machine

Hi there!
I'm new to this mailinglist, so hello everybody!

Firstly, because I'm new, please tell me where I can find the terms of
use of this ML!
Secondly, I'm from germany and my english is not as good as it should
be! So if you don't understand what I'm talking about, please tell me
and I will find a better wording for what I mean.

---

I need help to configure my Ubuntustudio on my machine. Currently, I
have _nothing_, just installed it on my Machine.

It's an Oneiric Ocelot Ubuntu Studio.
My Hardware:
- Soundcard: ESI Juli@
- Midikeyboard: Midistart 3
- Drumcontroller: Akai MPD24
- Speakers: Fostex PM04
- Microphone: AT3035
- Amp: Presonus TubePre

Usergroups I'm in: adm, dialout, cdrom, audio, plugdev, lpadmin, admin,
sambashare

Kind of machine I run on:
It's Fujitsu Siemens machine, 6497MC. ( Info from with dmidecode )
lspci gives me the following:

matthias@ustudio:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS649 Host (rev 10)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] PCI-to-PCI bridge
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS965 [MuTIOL
Media IO] (rev 48)

00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev 01)
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
SiS7012 AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1
Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1
Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1
Controller (rev 0f)

00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:05.0 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 182 SATA/RAID
Controller (rev 01)
00:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24
[Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72 [GeForce 7300
SE/7200 GS] (rev a1)

The Midikeyboard is conected to the Soundcard by an Midi-cable, the MPD
via USB.
"cat /proc/asound/cards" tells me that the soundcard is deteced! It's
listed as 3rd device. I don't know what the second one is, because there
is just the default (onboard) soundcard and the ESI.
If I open alsamixer and select the ESI via F6, there is still no sound.
I don't know where my problem is and google just tells me to use
alsamixer and cat /proc...
I test by playing the File in /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
with aplay or with the default music player by clicking on a Music file.

If I use aplay there's an error output:

ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition
'defaults.namehint.basic'
ALSA lib conf.c:4184_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer
returned error: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden (1)
ALSA lib conf.c:4663snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: Datei oder
Verzeichnis nicht gefunden (1)

ALSA lib pcm.c:2212snc_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
aplay: main:660: Fehler beim ÷ffnen des Gerštes: Datei oder Verzeichnis
nicht gefunden (2)

(1) File or Directory not found
(2) Error opening device: File or Directory not found

Can anyone tell me what I should do now? How can I get that stuff
working? I hope you have enough information to help me. If not, tell me
I will post it!

Best regards from Sunny-South-Germany,
Matthias Beye

Old 03-29-2012, 10:29 AM
alexander dahlberg

Hello Matthias!

firstly do yourself a favour and bookmark this site.

http://en.flossmanuals.net/ardour/index/

its the manuall for Ardour but goes through alot of other things you need to know about recording and music production. i find myslef visiting it on a daily basis.

although Ubuntu studio is great and solid in many ways* i personally found myself to switch to kxstudio (witch is built from ubuntu studio ) some* tools provided by falkTX and his team sovled aloth of time consuming tasks.

http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

music creation with linux is the reason i switched in the first place. my band is on a tight budget like many others and we have done recordings on a 6 year old laptop from Zepto. its a bit time consuming to learn in the begining but trust me. you wont ever go back to windows or mac

kind regards
Alexander*
www.prostaten.se

[...]

ALSA lib conf.c:4663snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden (1)

Old 03-29-2012, 10:54 AM

Hi!

From your output list of the pci components, the onboard soundcard is also being detected and its modules loaded. I would suspect that this card is known as hw:0
I also see a second pci sound card in the list which is more than likely hw:1. I would try a quick test with aplay but with the option switch to use device hw:3.
The other way to test would be to go to your bios and turn off the onboard soundcard(s).

Cheers!