Old 02-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default NetworkManager - Was: Sharing "things" between Ubuntu Studio 11.10 and...

> Connection name: Wireless connection 1
> [x] Connect automatically
> [x] Available to all users
> Tab "Wireless"
> SSID: oz
> Mode: Ad-hoc
> Band: Automatic
> (Channel: default)
> BSSID:
> Device MAC address:
> Cloned MAC adresse:
> MTU: automatic
> Tab "IPv4 Settings"
> Method: Shared to other computers
> (Adress:
> Netmask:
> Gateway:
> DNS servers:
> Search domains:
> DHCP client ID
> [x] Require IPv4 addressing for this connection to complete
> (Nothing edited for "Routes...")
> Nothing edited for tab "IPv6 Settings"
> Tab "Wireless security"
> Security: WE 128-bit Passphrase
> Key: 1234567890

I figured out that the key 1234567890 is the Password I need to type
using the iPad, nm shows "Wireless connection Last used now". Regarding
to http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/assistant/wifi/#section_1 I don't
have to set any Proxy settings on the iPad. Anyway, the iPad get no
access to the Internet. While the wireless connection is reconnecting
again and again and again, managed by nm, I need to run sudo poff -a and
sudo pon dsl-provider again and again and again. Using nm to do the
PPPoE connection doesn't work. Isn't there any howto for Debian and/or
Ubuntu?

Regards,
Ralf

Old 02-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 13:13 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Connection name: Wireless connection 1
> > [x] Connect automatically
> > [x] Available to all users
> > Tab "Wireless"
> > SSID: oz
> > Mode: Ad-hoc
> > Band: Automatic
> > (Channel: default)
> > BSSID:
> > Device MAC address:
> > Cloned MAC adresse:
> > MTU: automatic
> > Tab "IPv4 Settings"
> > Method: Shared to other computers
> > (Adress:
> > Netmask:
> > Gateway:
> > DNS servers:
> > Search domains:
> > DHCP client ID
> > [x] Require IPv4 addressing for this connection to complete
> > (Nothing edited for "Routes...")
> > Nothing edited for tab "IPv6 Settings"
> > Tab "Wireless security"
> > Security: WEP 128-bit Passphrase
> > Key: 1234567890
>
> I figured out that the key 1234567890 is the Password I need to type
> using the iPad, nm shows "Wireless connection Last used now". Regarding
> to http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/assistant/wifi/#section_1 I don't
> have to set any Proxy settings on the iPad. Anyway, the iPad get no
> access to the Internet. While the wireless connection is reconnecting
> again and again and again, managed by nm, I need to run sudo poff -a and
> sudo pon dsl-provider again and again and again. Using nm to do the
> PPPoE connection doesn't work. Isn't there any howto for Debian and/or
> Ubuntu?
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Switching to "WPA & WPA2 personal" nm disconnect all the time. The
padlock icon on the iPad isn't shown anymore. The situation is more
worse as when using WEP.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Gustin Johnson

I have never used the network-manager for this sort of thing. *AFAIK WPA requires hostap to be installed and configured.
I have also never used ad-hoc networking, I only use radios that can be run as an AP.

For network devices I use a Debian variant called Voyage Linux. *CLI only by default, not particularly novice friendly (you pretty much need to know how networking works for this to be useful), but the /etc/network/interface that they ship with has a ton of examples. *You can extract it from the tarball that you can download from their site. *

I would also be careful on their mailing list. *Your, uh, unique style of interaction will just get you banned. *RTFM is a lifestyle there.
You might also want to have a look at Arno's iptables firewall. *It does not take much configuration to get a NAT/Masquerade ruleset in place (only a handful of settings in a well documented conf file to change). *You still will need to sort out the wifi link*separate*from this though. *Depending on the hardware, what you want to do may or may not be possible. *