Old 04-03-2008, 03:50 PM
"Cory K."

Default Ubuntu Studio report

hollunder@gmx.at wrote:
> Thanks for guidance... don't complain if the report is not to your
> liking.
>
> Bugs and issues, Ubuntu Studio related:
>
> The colour set still causes problems, klick any of the 'unlock' buttons
> and on 'advanced' or whatever it was, and you will see a dark-blue link
> on dark-grey background, unreadable.

I'm not sure what you mean. Steps to reproduce?

> Also, there happen to be websites where drop-down menus (I mean
> something like a font combo box) are dark-grey in background with black
> letters, the same old unreadable stuff.

We can't be responsible for apps that use GTK in non-standard ways. This
is a BIG deal and I have a running list of bugs to submit to upstreams.

> I noticed that the ubuntu studio theme has the black background as
> default, not one of the custom made ones.

I'm not seeing this at all. Could you be more specific?

> jackd could have saner default settings, for example the rt-option
> could be set as default, periods to 3, .. whatever.

Might be something we could do foe Intrepid *but* this is such an
opinion kinda thing I would be reluctant.

> By default, the alsa-pcm level is set to 80%, does that make sense or
> serve a certain purpose?

I'm not sure. I'll leave this for others.

> Some menu items don't have a 'tool tip', example: pure data.

That's an upstream bug. Please file.

> Rants and stuff for Intrepid:
>
> IMHO the colours aren't any good, they cause problems in readability,
> have low contrast and don't serve a purpose besides 'being cool', and
> that is up to debate.

It does serve a purpose. The theme has come from the fact that Pro
multimedia apps often use like colors. Our theme is under constant work
and we do what we can. It will not change from the dark, "Pro" look.
Fixes that don't break other apps are welcome.

> I don't like the menu structure, I'd love to see it more geared towards
> fast access. I'd like more categories in a flatter hierarchy.

The current structure was the best effort from long ML chats. You're
free to make a proposal.

> After using ubuntu studio since it's there I'd really like to have an
> official abbreviation, a two-or-so letter acronym.
> Writing Ubuntu Studio as a whole all the time sucks.

"Officially" it's Ubuntu Studio or ubuntustudio in packages. Never
hyphenated. But in the end, do what ya like. :P

This is on the wiki. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio

> Some other bugs I encountered and haven't reported yet:
>
> 'Clock Preferences' -> 'Time Settings' -> 'Set System Time' just gave
> me an authentication dialogue that wasn't in the foreground and
> therefore invisible, which rendered everything unusable until one
> blindly enters the password. It didn't do anything thereafter.
>
> 'About me' doesn't come up. 'There was an error while trying to get the
> addressbook information Evolution Data Server can't handle the protocol'
>

> General Rant:
>
> The now easy x-server configuration makes my life harder, since
> 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' doesn't include monitor options (and I
> think keyboard settings) anymore. Which means that I have to hand-edit
> xorg.conf to get a higher resolution than 1024x768.
> Also, the keyboard settings during install appear to have been stripped
> down, so I couldn't select my language-sub-layout.

^^^ All stuff best left to Ubuntu and upstreams. ^^^

> In case you're still reading that: Thank you, nice work, it's good to
> have this distro.

np.

-Cory m/

Old 04-03-2008, 10:50 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

To comment where no comment was needed:

'About me' doesn't come up. 'There was an error while trying to get the

> addressbook information Evolution Data Server can't handle the protocol'

Studio always did that to me. Since 7.04

:-)

np.

-Cory m/

Christopher Stamper
christopherstamper@gmail.com
http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg

Skype: cdstamper

Old 04-03-2008, 11:23 PM

Ok, I wasn't clear enough on some points, here it comes.

> > The colour set still causes problems, klick any of the 'unlock'
> > buttons and on 'advanced' or whatever it was, and you will see a
> > dark-blue link on dark-grey background, unreadable.
> >

> I'm not sure what you mean. Steps to reproduce?

Try: main menu -> system -> administration -> network Press the 'Unlock' Button and then on 'Details'.
You should see something unreadable next to 'Action:'

> > I noticed that the ubuntu studio theme has the black background as
> > default, not one of the custom made ones.
> >

> I'm not seeing this at all. Could you be more specific?

I was talking about the 'Appearance' dialogue. Fun thing is that it is gone now, the default is the mixing console now.

> > jackd could have saner default settings, for example the rt-option
> > could be set as default, periods to 3, .. whatever.
> >

> Might be something we could do foe Intrepid *but* this is such an
> opinion kinda thing I would be reluctant.

Well, since UbStu already ships only an rt-kernel and does about everything else, why not do this as well?

> > By default, the alsa-pcm level is set to 80%, does that make sense
> > or serve a certain purpose?
> >

> I'm not sure. I'll leave this for others.

I guess it is default in ubuntu but I'm not sure about the reason.

> > Some menu items don't have a 'tool tip', example: pure data.
> >
> That's an upstream bug. Please file.

By 'tool tip' I meant the tool tip in the main menu. The thing that gives a short description on the application.
I noticed the lack of such a tool tip for:
Jack time machine
puredata
sooperlooper

> > Rants and stuff for Intrepid:
> >
> > IMHO the colours aren't any good, they cause problems in
> > readability, have low contrast and don't serve a purpose besides
> > 'being cool', and that is up to debate.
> >

> It does serve a purpose. The theme has come from the fact that Pro
> multimedia apps often use like colors. Our theme is under constant
> work and we do what we can. It will not change from the dark, "Pro"
> look. Fixes that don't break other apps are welcome.

Well, the dark makes the apps a lot more pro for sure...

> > I don't like the menu structure, I'd love to see it more geared
> > towards fast access. I'd like more categories in a flatter
> > hierarchy.
>
> The current structure was the best effort from long ML chats. You're
> free to make a proposal.

What form would be best for that?

> > After using ubuntu studio since it's there I'd really like to have
> > an official abbreviation, a two-or-so letter acronym.
> > Writing Ubuntu Studio as a whole all the time sucks.
> >

> "Officially" it's Ubuntu Studio or ubuntustudio in packages. Never
> hyphenated. But in the end, do what ya like. :P

Yeah, I'll try to come up with some that are even more stupid than UbStu and use them at random to further confusion.

> > It would be somehow nice to have Information on the applications
> > available. Documentation? How's the status?
> >

> This is on the wiki. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio

I thought there was someone leading a documentation team, I wonder about the status of that.

Best Regards,
Philipp

Old 04-03-2008, 11:25 PM

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 18:50:37 -0400
"Christopher Stamper" <christopherstamper@gmail.com> wrote:

> To comment where no comment was needed:
>
> 'About me' doesn't come up. 'There was an error while trying to get
> the
> > addressbook information Evolution Data Server can't handle the
> > protocol'
>
> Studio always did that to me. Since 7.04
>
> :-)

Thanks for that little bit of information, it probably means that Ubstu
doesn't include some strange gnome-thing nobody needs anyway, which
would mean that it is not a bug but a feature.

Regards,
Philipp

Old 04-04-2008, 12:46 AM
"Cory K."

hollunder@gmx.at wrote:
> Ok, I wasn't clear enough on some points, here it comes.
>

>>> The colour set still causes problems, klick any of the 'unlock'
>>> buttons and on 'advanced' or whatever it was, and you will see a
>>> dark-blue link on dark-grey background, unreadable.
>>>

>> I'm not sure what you mean. Steps to reproduce?
>>

> Try: main menu -> system -> administration -> network Press the 'Unlock' Button and then on 'Details'.
> You should see something unreadable next to 'Action:'

Yeah. I see it. "org.freedesktop.systemtoolsbackends.set" Plenty
readable for me. But yeah, this is yet another example of apps that
use hard-coded values that do not respect the theme. I have a running
list of apps that do this.

>>> I noticed that the ubuntu studio theme has the black background as
>>> default, not one of the custom made ones.
>>>

>> I'm not seeing this at all. Could you be more specific?
>>

> I was talking about the 'Appearance' dialogue. Fun thing is that it is gone now, the default is the mixing console now.
>

>>> jackd could have saner default settings, for example the rt-option
>>> could be set as default, periods to 3, .. whatever.
>>>

>> Might be something we could do foe Intrepid *but* this is such an
>> opinion kinda thing I would be reluctant.
>>

> Well, since UbStu already ships only an rt-kernel and does about everything else, why not do this as well?

It would need lots of discussion as to what would be sane defaults. This
would also *not* make Hardy.

>>> By default, the alsa-pcm level is set to 80%, does that make sense
>>> or serve a certain purpose?
>>>

>> I'm not sure. I'll leave this for others.
>>

> I guess it is default in ubuntu but I'm not sure about the reason.
>

>>> Some menu items don't have a 'tool tip', example: pure data.
>>>

>> That's an upstream bug. Please file.
>>

> By 'tool tip' I meant the tool tip in the main menu. The thing that gives a short description on the application.
> I noticed the lack of such a tool tip for:
> Jack time machine
> puredata
> sooperlooper

Sure. All things that should go in the upstreams .desktop file. File a
bug where you see fit.

>>> Rants and stuff for Intrepid:
>>>
>>> IMHO the colours aren't any good, they cause problems in
>>> readability, have low contrast and don't serve a purpose besides
>>> 'being cool', and that is up to debate.
>>>

>> It does serve a purpose. The theme has come from the fact that Pro
>> multimedia apps often use like colors. Our theme is under constant
>> work and we do what we can. It will not change from the dark, "Pro"
>> look. Fixes that don't break other apps are welcome.
>>

> Well, the dark makes the apps a lot more pro for sure...
>

>>> I don't like the menu structure, I'd love to see it more geared
>>> towards fast access. I'd like more categories in a flatter
>>> hierarchy.
>>>
>> The current structure was the best effort from long ML chats. You're
>> free to make a proposal.
>>

> What form would be best for that?

The -devel ML would be best.

>>> After using ubuntu studio since it's there I'd really like to have
>>> an official abbreviation, a two-or-so letter acronym.
>>> Writing Ubuntu Studio as a whole all the time sucks.
>>>

>> "Officially" it's Ubuntu Studio or ubuntustudio in packages. Never
>> hyphenated. But in the end, do what ya like. :P
>>

> Yeah, I'll try to come up with some that are even more stupid than UbStu and use them at random to further confusion.

For general stuff, I'm fine with UbuStu. :P

>>> It would be somehow nice to have Information on the applications
>>> available. Documentation? How's the status?
>>>

>> This is on the wiki. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio
>>

> I thought there was someone leading a documentation team, I wonder about the status of that.

Yes. We have a lead but he has had one hell of a month or so. Can't go
into details as it's personal but hopefully we can get that effort up
and running soon.

-Cory m/

Old 04-04-2008, 08:01 AM

> >> That's an upstream bug. Please file.
> >>

> > By 'tool tip' I meant the tool tip in the main menu. The thing that
> > gives a short description on the application. I noticed the lack of
> > such a tool tip for: Jack time machine
> > puredata
> > sooperlooper
> >

> Sure. All things that should go in the upstreams .desktop file. File a
> bug where you see fit.

I thought that it might be your piece of cake because you resolved the
missing icons problem as well.
Those apps could need a description..
upstream as debian or the actual developer of each app?

> >> The current structure was the best effort from long ML chats.
> >> You're free to make a proposal.
> >>

> > What form would be best for that?
> >

> The -devel ML would be best.

The question was supposed to mean something similar to: Is there a file
I can send after I restructure the menu, or something similar?
This heavy mail exchange alone somewhat proofs that words, or at least
my words, are prone to be misunderstood.

> >> "Officially" it's Ubuntu Studio or ubuntustudio in packages. Never
> >> hyphenated. But in the end, do what ya like. :P
> >>

> > Yeah, I'll try to come up with some that are even more stupid than
> > UbStu and use them at random to further confusion.
>
> For general stuff, I'm fine with UbuStu. :P

Ok, so I'll use variations of UbuStew :P

> >> This is on the wiki. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio
> >>

> > I thought there was someone leading a documentation team, I wonder
> > about the status of that.
>
> Yes. We have a lead but he has had one hell of a month or so. Can't go
> into details as it's personal but hopefully we can get that effort up
> and running soon.

Ok, good to hear. _IF_ I get my ass up I'll be glad to help, huge if.

Best Regards
Philipp

Old 04-04-2008, 11:58 AM
"Cory K."

hollunder@gmx.at wrote:

>>> By 'tool tip' I meant the tool tip in the main menu. The thing that
>>> gives a short description on the application. I noticed the lack of
>>> such a tool tip for: Jack time machine
>>> puredata
>>> sooperlooper
>>>

>> Sure. All things that should go in the upstreams .desktop file. File a
>> bug where you see fit.
>>

> I thought that it might be your piece of cake because you resolved the
> missing icons problem as well.
> Those apps could need a description..
> upstream as debian or the actual developer of each app?

Sure, but it's just patchwork if we do it. Best that upstream app
developers do things like this so everyone benefits.

>>> What form would be best for that?
>>>

>> The -devel ML would be best.
>>

> The question was supposed to mean something similar to: Is there a file
> I can send after I restructure the menu, or something similar?

No. Editing the menu structure the way we already have, and the way you
would have to for an example is much more complex than a single file.
Pull the source for ubuntustudio-menu if you wanna see what we did.

> This heavy mail exchange alone somewhat proofs that words, or at least
> my words, are prone to be misunderstood.

Well, I wish we could all be in the same office all the time. :P This is
what we got.

>>> Yeah, I'll try to come up with some that are even more stupid than
>>> UbStu and use them at random to further confusion.
>>>
>> For general stuff, I'm fine with UbuStu. :P
>>

> Ok, so I'll use variations of UbuStew :P

>>> I thought there was someone leading a documentation team, I wonder
>>> about the status of that.
>>>
>> Yes. We have a lead but he has had one hell of a month or so. Can't go
>> into details as it's personal but hopefully we can get that effort up
>> and running soon.
>>

> Ok, good to hear. _IF_ I get my ass up I'll be glad to help, huge if.

We'll wait patiently. :P

-Cory m/