Old 02-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default US 11.10. - No audio out

Pulseaudio is replaced by a dummy package, this always worked for my
Debian testing and is still working for my Arch Linux and it seemed to
be ok for US 11.10 to. But now I tried to listen to a Youtube song. No
audio out. I rebooted and was able to listen to one song, for the next
song again, no audio out. I rebooted again, but still no audio out.

- Ralf

Old 02-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> Pulseaudio is replaced by a dummy package, this always worked for my
> Debian testing and is still working for my Arch Linux and it seemed to
> be ok for US 11.10 to. But now I tried to listen to a Youtube song. No
> audio out. I rebooted and was able to listen to one song, for the next
> song again, no audio out. I rebooted again, but still no audio out.
>
> - Ralf

I can reinstall pulseaudio I simply wonder how to get audio out
working. Just having pulseaudio installed, there's no audio out on any
of my Linux installs, but Ubuntu Studio 11.10 is the first install where
audio doesn't work with or without pulseaudio. The HDSPe AIO is detected
as usual, new is the dbus error for hwinfo. The TerraTecs are used for
MIDI only.

$ hwinfo --sound
> hal.1: read hal dataprocess 7994: arguments to dbus_move_error() were
incorrect, assertion "(dest) == NULL || !dbus_error_is_set ((dest))"
failed in file ../../dbus/dbus-errors.c line 280.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
libhal.c 3483 : Error unsubscribing to signals, error=The name
org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files
28: PCI 200.0: 0401 Multimedia audio controller
[Created at pci.318]
Unique ID: B35A.MZ+CP9Apr_E
Parent ID: H0_h.9zE8Er2g1ED
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:06.0/0000:02:00.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:02:00.0
Hardware Class: sound
Model: "Xilinx RME Hammerfall DSP MADI"
Vendor: pci 0x10ee "Xilinx Corporation"
Device: pci 0x3fc6 "RME Hammerfall DSP MADI"
Revision: 0xd4
Driver: "RME Hammerfall DSP MADI"
Driver Modules: "snd_hdspm"
Memory Range: 0xfdef0000-0xfdefffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
IRQ: 18 (648104 events)
Module Alias: "pci:v000010EEd00003FC6sv00000000sd00000000bc04sc0 1i00"
Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: snd_hdspm is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe snd_hdspm"
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #10 (PCI bridge)

30: PCI 405.0: 0401 Multimedia audio controller
[Created at pci.318]
Unique ID: wJko.J4wu6rKmng4
Parent ID: qscc.ULOo3yhA66C
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.4/0000:04:05.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:04:05.0
Hardware Class: sound
Model: "TERRATEC EWX 24/96"
Vendor: pci 0x1412 "VIA Technologies Inc."
Device: pci 0x1712 "ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller"
SubVendor: pci 0x153b "TERRATEC Electronic GmbH"
SubDevice: pci 0x1130 "EWX 24/96"
Revision: 0x02
Driver: "ICE1712"
Driver Modules: "snd_ice1712"
I/O Ports: 0xbf00-0xbf1f (rw)
I/O Ports: 0xbe00-0xbe0f (rw)
I/O Ports: 0xbd00-0xbd0f (rw)
I/O Ports: 0xbc00-0xbc3f (rw)
IRQ: 20 (5335 events)
Module Alias: "pci:v00001412d00001712sv0000153Bsd00001130bc04sc0 1i00"
Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: snd_ice1712 is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe snd_ice1712"
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #22 (PCI bridge)

31: PCI 406.0: 0401 Multimedia audio controller
[Created at pci.318]
Unique ID: +QnG.J4wu6rKmng4
Parent ID: qscc.ULOo3yhA66C
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.4/0000:04:06.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:04:06.0
Hardware Class: sound
Model: "TERRATEC EWX 24/96"
Vendor: pci 0x1412 "VIA Technologies Inc."
Device: pci 0x1712 "ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller"
SubVendor: pci 0x153b "TERRATEC Electronic GmbH"
SubDevice: pci 0x1130 "EWX 24/96"
Revision: 0x02
Driver: "ICE1712"
Driver Modules: "snd_ice1712"
I/O Ports: 0xbb00-0xbb1f (rw)
I/O Ports: 0xba00-0xba0f (rw)
I/O Ports: 0xb900-0xb90f (rw)
I/O Ports: 0xb800-0xb83f (rw)
IRQ: 21 (no events)
Module Alias: "pci:v00001412d00001712sv0000153Bsd00001130bc04sc0 1i00"
Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: snd_ice1712 is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe snd_ice1712"
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #22 (PCI bridge)

$ hdspmixer

HDSPMixer 1.11 - Copyright (C) 2003 Thomas Charbonnel
<thomas@undata.org>
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
HDSPMixer is free software, see the file COPYING for details

Looking for RME cards:
Card 0: TerraTec EWX24/96 at 0xbf00, irq 20
Card 1: TerraTec EWX24/96 at 0xbb00, irq 21
Card 2: RME AIO S/N 0x579bcc at 0xfdef0000, irq 18
RME AIO found!
1 RME cards card found.
Restoring last presets used

Regards,
Ralf

Old 02-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> Card 2: RME AIO S/N 0x579bcc at 0xfdef0000, irq 18

One of the issues obviously is that the RME card don't become hw:0 all
the times.

This reminds me at the old times when I used the excellent 64 Studio:

"I have multiple audio interfaces. How can I make sure they are given
consistent device numbers by ALSA?

As root, add lines like these to the end of
your /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file:

alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1

options snd-emu10k1 index=0

alias snd-card-1 snd-rme9652

options snd-rme9652 index=1

alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio

options snd-usb-audio index=2

In this example, a Creative Labs Audigy is set to card 0 for normal file
playback, an RME Hammerfall is card 1 for jackd, and a USB midi
connector is card 2." http://www.64studio.com/faq_user

I don't had/have to do that for some other up to date installs. I
experienced this as obsolet. No big deal, but that isn't the cause that
I can play one Youtube song and when trying to play another song, I
first need to reboot.

- Ralf

Old 02-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Mike Holstein

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> Card 2: RME AIO S/N 0x579bcc at 0xfdef0000, irq 18

One of the issues obviously is that the RME card don't become hw:0 all

the times.

This reminds me at the old times when I used the excellent 64 Studio:

"I have multiple audio interfaces. How can I make sure they are given

consistent device numbers by ALSA?

As root, add lines like these to the end of

your /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file:

alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1

options snd-emu10k1 index=0

alias snd-card-1 snd-rme9652

options snd-rme9652 index=1

alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio

options snd-usb-audio index=2

In this example, a Creative Labs Audigy is set to card 0 for normal file

playback, an RME Hammerfall is card 1 for jackd, and a USB midi

connector is card 2." http://www.64studio.com/faq_user

i have a firewire interface that i use on my production machine, and some USB devices, but i have found that those device identifiers can jump around when using devices with JACK that use the same driver. i have found that those numbers have jumped around for a long time (i noticed this was an issue first hand in 10.04). when providing support, i usually suggest to folks to disable the internal sound card in the bios (assuming that is a possibility, and i guess its not for you). there were several "solutions" to this challenge discussed in the #opensourcemusicians channel on freenode.
*
I don't had/have to do that for some other up to date installs. I

experienced this as obsolet. No big deal, but that isn't the cause that

I can play one Youtube song and when trying to play another song, I

first need to reboot.

youtube?*

- Ralf

MH
mikeholstein.info

Old 02-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 08:48 -0500, Mike Holstein wrote:

> i usually suggest to folks to disable the internal sound card in the
> bios (assuming that is a possibility, and i guess its not for you).

Exactly!

$ cat /proc/asound/modules
0 snd_ice1712
1 snd_ice1712
2 snd_hdspm

I'll report what I did to get the HDSP card always as hw:0. That I use 2
Envy24 cards for MIDI, the same model, from the same vendor, cause
another issue for auto-connecting MIDI, while manually connecting is no
problem.

Yes, Youtube, flashplayer ALSA --> hw audio out, I didn't test anything
audio related else. Perhaps it's not possible anymore to simply replace
pulseaudio by a dummy package.

Today I've got a day off, so I'll continue getting that WLAN issue
fixed, since I don't have knowledge about this, I need much time for
this. I'll try to fix audio during the week after finishing time,
because I've got some knowledge about audio, this shouldn't be that hard
to do.

I'm curios about the next Ubuntu Studio LTS and about Quentin's write-up
about openDAW. I'm uncertain to buy a Windows for stuff like WLAN. From
time to time I need something that's time consuming to set up with
Linux, if it's something I never used before and that isn't important
for me.

Regards,
Ralf