Old 02-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Mike Holstein

Default Ubuntu Studio 11.10 repositories + an Ubuntu providing WLAN spport

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

Hi

I'll install a new Ubuntu Studio. I'm looking for a distro that comes

with a good Wi-Fi support by default. It's said that Mint should do so.

Are there any known issues with Mint 12 "Lisa" and Ubuntu Studio 11.10

"Oneiric Ocelot" repositories?

I'm uncertain what architecture to use. My stable DAW is 10.10 i386, but

my all-day Linux are 64bit.

Any opinions are welcome.

Regards,

Ralf

OT: Does anybody use a Sempre WU300-K1 wireless lan 11N 300MB USB

adaptor? It's a Realtek thingy.

i wouldnt choose mint over ubuntu for wifi support.. we would have the same drivers/kernels... i have heard good reports about using mint with the ubuntustudio packages... mint12 didnt do it for me though. if you are chasing a "gnome2 experience", i found MATE fell short... otherwise, its another solid mint release with a great team with support on irc.spotchat.org ...enjoy!*

MH
mikeholstein.info

Old 02-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 13:33 -0500, Mike Holstein wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'll install a new Ubuntu Studio. I'm looking for a distro
> that comes
> with a good Wi-Fi support by default. It's said that Mint
> should do so.
>
> Are there any known issues with Mint 12 "Lisa" and Ubuntu
> Studio 11.10
> "Oneiric Ocelot" repositories?
>
> I'm uncertain what architecture to use. My stable DAW is 10.10
> i386, but
> my all-day Linux are 64bit.
>
> Any opinions are welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
>
> OT: Does anybody use a Sempre WU300-K1 wireless lan 11N 300MB
> USB
> adaptor? It's a Realtek thingy.
>

> i wouldnt choose mint over ubuntu for wifi support.. we would have the
> same drivers/kernels... i have heard good reports about using mint
> with the ubuntustudio packages... mint12 didnt do it for me though. if
> you are chasing a "gnome2 experience", i found MATE fell short...
> otherwise, its another solid mint release with a great team with
> support on irc.spotchat.org ...enjoy!

I'm missing a mailing list for Mint, so I join a German forum. I
installed Mint Lisa - KDE 64-bit. KDE freeze after login and Xfce
doesn't show nm-applet. Changing the mouse cursor theme doesn't work.

Installation already was a PITA, since it forced me to install GRUB2. I
already used "GRUB legacy", fortunately it was easy to switch to "GRUB
legacy" for Mint, anyway it was unneeded work. Noveau was automatically
installed, a mega PITA.

OTOH the LED of the Wi-Fi USB stick is flashing, I didn't load a module
and I didn't installed firmware.

PolicyKit and ConsoleKit are not enough for Mint, they add AppArmor. IMO
it's like running three firewalls.

Until now I don't like Mint, btw. the mouse cursor theme even for Xfce
is annoying animated.

Haven't installed Ubuntu Studio meta packages until now. Perhaps I
should test what happens, when Ubuntu Studio themes are installed. Does
11.10 already include Xfce?

On Debian testing I had GNOME3 and Xfce4 installed and at the moment I'm
running Xfce4 only on Arch. There were and are not such issues as there
are for Mint.

Regards,
Ralf

Old 02-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Janne Jokitalo

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 01:32:12AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I'm missing a mailing list for Mint, so I join a German forum. I
> installed Mint Lisa - KDE 64-bit. KDE freeze after login and Xfce
> doesn't show nm-applet. Changing the mouse cursor theme doesn't work.
<snip>
> Haven't installed Ubuntu Studio meta packages until now. Perhaps I
> should test what happens, when Ubuntu Studio themes are installed. Does
> 11.10 already include Xfce?

Hi,

I am a little puzzled, over here. What does a Mint installation (and its
problems) have to do with Ubuntu Studio? We will not provide any official
support for such a combo, so I would suggest you find some elsewhere, for I do
not wish to encourage this sort of behaviour on our official support forums.

Thanks for understanding!

--
Jaska

Old 02-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Ralf Mardorf

PS: I didn't ask for support, I just reported that installing Mint may
not be the best way to go and that installing e.g. Ubuntu, Kubuntu,
Xubuntu etc. might be better, of cause with using Ubuntu Studio meta
packages.

I didn't know about the rule that this list is explicit for Ubuntu
Studio only.

IMO this is not good. Art productions usually are done using
environments that are mixed. You'll hardly find Ubuntu Studio hardware,
Synthesizers and even if there would be such gear. The policy of Linux
shouldn't become the same as it is e.g. for Apple.

If your claim is official Ubuntu Studio or Canonical, then good night
for this distro.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Janne Jokitalo

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:57:23PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> PS: I didn't ask for support, I just reported that installing Mint may
> not be the best way to go and that installing e.g. Ubuntu, Kubuntu,
> Xubuntu etc. might be better, of cause with using Ubuntu Studio meta
> packages.

Ok, maybe I read that wrong, then. Apologies if this made you feel upset.

> I didn't know about the rule that this list is explicit for Ubuntu
> Studio only.

Well, I suppose we have cleared this in the other emails now.

> IMO this is not good. Art productions usually are done using
> environments that are mixed. You'll hardly find Ubuntu Studio hardware,
> Synthesizers and even if there would be such gear. The policy of Linux
> shouldn't become the same as it is e.g. for Apple.

Of course we realize this. Again, I want to emphasize, the limitation concerns
support foremost (although we would like that the regular topics not deviating
too far from Ubuntu as a whole).

> If your claim is official Ubuntu Studio or Canonical, then good night
> for this distro.

That is totally uncalled for, and I will disregard such in the future. I'll say
it just this one time any longer. No need for drama. My request was to limit the
support requests to *buntu only. I would think it's not too hard to understand.
Again, please read the list's header with thought, and think about why it could
limit certain topics outside.

--
Jaska