-   -   workflow in ardour? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/630117-workflow-ardour.html)

Hartmut Noack 02-07-2012 10:46 PM

workflow in ardour?

Am 08.02.2012 00:26, schrieb mentoj_dija@gmx.de:

hi,

i just started a little project. a kind of podcast.. but what ever.

i record 3 signals at a time with ardour and edit them after the recording to get best results. stuff i do is: limiting, expanding, compressing.
what i always did was: i played the signals - in realtime - back, put them through a calf-compressor (for example) and re-record them on another track in ardour. that needs time. even if the recording is just 20 minutes, i need at least 1,5 hours to get it done. is there a way around it?

of course there is

can i play the signal back faster than realtime for this workaround?

kind of:

1.) set compressor, limiter etc. as desired

2.) use the range-tool to select the part of the track you want to
manipulate

3.) right klick the range and select "Consolidate range with processing"

Ardour will render a new region with all your processing as fast as your
CPU can deliver ;-)

Mike Holstein 02-07-2012 11:04 PM

workflow in ardour?

[...]

yup... export the track, and that can happen faster than realtime, and if not, at least you only need to do it one time...*

MH
mikeholstein.info

mentoj dija 02-08-2012 10:27 PM

workflow in ardour?

thanks. that will help...

[...]

02-21-2012 03:57 PM

workflow in ardour?

i tried to do it after your descripton, but i'm still not able to do so

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 00:27:45 +0100
> Von: mentoj dija <mentoj_dija@gmx.de>
> An: Ubuntu Studio Users Help and Discussion <ubuntu-studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Betreff: Re: workflow in ardour?

> thanks. that will help...
>

> Am 08.02.2012 01:04, schrieb Mike Holstein:
> > On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@linuxuse.de
> > <mailto:zettberlin@linuxuse.de>> wrote:
> >
> > Am 08.02.2012 00:26, schrieb mentoj_dija@gmx.de
> > <mailto:mentoj_dija@gmx.de>:
> >
> > hi,
> >
> > i just started a little project. a kind of podcast.. but what
> > ever.
> >
> > i record 3 signals at a time with ardour and edit them after
> > the recording to get best results. stuff i do is: limiting,
> > expanding, compressing.
> > what i always did was: i played the signals - in realtime -
> > back, put them through a calf-compressor (for example) and
> > re-record them on another track in ardour. that needs time.
> > even if the recording is just 20 minutes, i need at least 1,5
> > hours to get it done. is there a way around it?
> >

> > of course there is
> >

> > can i play the signal back faster than realtime for this
> > workaround?
> >

> > kind of:
> >
> > 1.) set compressor, limiter etc. as desired

means, i put plugins in the post-fader section?

> > 2.) use the range-tool to select the part of the track you want to
> > manipulate
> >
> > 3.) right klick the range and select "Consolidate range with
> > processing"

i cant find this entry in the menu. i still work with ubuntu 10.04 and ardour 2.8.6. does this matter?

> > Ardour will render a new region with all your processing as fast
> > as your CPU can deliver ;-)

does ardour write the new processed region in a new track? or will the old track be overwritten?

> > yup... export the track, and that can happen faster than realtime, and
> > if not, at least you only need to do it one time...

hm, yes this is also a way, but then i have to import the result again, to do further edits.

Hartmut Noack 02-21-2012 05:21 PM

workflow in ardour?

i tried to do it after your descripton, but i'm still not able to do so

where do you got stuck?

it would be best if you would quote my initial mail to point us to the
problem...

best regs

HZN

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Hartmut Noack 02-21-2012 05:28 PM

workflow in ardour?

Big sorry for not seeing the quotes below :-)

[...]

exactly

2.) use the range-tool to select the part of the track you want to
manipulate

3.) right klick the range and select "Consolidate range with
processing"

i cant find this entry in the menu. i still work with ubuntu 10.04 and ardour 2.8.6. does this matter?

could be but should not, I am not sure ift that functionality was
implemented in 2.8.6

But you have used the range-tool for sure? Because in the region-menu
there is no such entry.

Ardour will render a new region with all your processing as fast
as your CPU can deliver ;-)

does ardour write the new processed region in a new track? or will the old track be overwritten?

It would look like the old track is being "overwritten" but the original
material is not changed in the process, you can still find the pristine
recordings in the regions-list.

If you do not want it to look that way, choose "Export to region list".

yup... export the track, and that can happen faster than realtime, and
if not, at least you only need to do it one time...

hm, yes this is also a way, but then i have to import the result again, to do further edits.

No, the result is immediately available in the Ardour-project. You can
choose, if it replaces the original regions (without overwriting the
original material as described above...) or if it shall be available in
the region - list.

best regards

HZN

"Mentoj Dija" 02-21-2012 05:58 PM

workflow in ardour?

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 19:28:53 +0100
> Von: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@linuxuse.de>
> An: ubuntu-studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Betreff: Re: workflow in ardour?

> Big sorry for not seeing the quotes below :-)
>

> Am 21.02.2012 17:57, schrieb mentoj_dija@gmx.de:
> > i tried to do it after your descripton, but i'm still not able to do so
> >

> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> >> Datum: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 00:27:45 +0100
> >> Von: mentoj dija<mentoj_dija@gmx.de>
> >> An: Ubuntu Studio Users Help and
> Discussion<ubuntu-studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> >> Betreff: Re: workflow in ardour?
> >
> >> thanks. that will help...

> > means, i put plugins in the post-fader section?
>
> exactly

> > i cant find this entry in the menu. i still work with ubuntu 10.04 and
> ardour 2.8.6. does this matter?
>
> could be but should not, I am not sure ift that functionality was
> implemented in 2.8.6
>
> But you have used the range-tool for sure? Because in the region-menu
> there is no such entry.

ah, thats what i missed. i'll check that out.

but this is not working with external effects like the extern calf plugin pack (with the nice graphical output ;) ), does it?

"Mentoj Dija" 02-21-2012 05:58 PM

workflow in ardour?

Hartmut Noack 02-22-2012 08:10 PM

workflow in ardour?

[...]

I am afraid it does not indeed. But I use the LV2-Plugins from CALF in
Ardour -- no drawbacks compared to CALFS own host ;-)