-   -   what's cheapest desktop for ubuntustudio these days? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/629137-whats-cheapest-desktop-ubuntustudio-these-days.html)

Tom Poe 02-05-2012 11:02 AM

what's cheapest desktop for ubuntustudio these days?

Running Dell GX260 desktop now. What's cheapest upgrade desktop I might
look for, that will handle better graphics cards? Poor man's gaming
desktop?

Tom

Gustin Johnson 02-06-2012 06:29 AM

what's cheapest desktop for ubuntustudio these days?

I personally start here:http://pcper.com/leaderboard
Right now a midrange system built around the core i5 is a good start though I would drop the sound card (caveat, I already have an RME) and I would go with an ATI as opposed to the nVidia for better out of the box support. *I only put an ATI in my system to support 3 monitors, otherwise the onboard video should be good enough. *

The upcoming Ivy Bridge should have even better on board graphics and hopefully Intel does not miss the boat with drivers this time around.*Just my 2c*

"Hector A. Henry S." 02-06-2012 09:41 PM

*

Look on this link it will help you to decide, have in concideration your real need, it might not be so much as our ego.*http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/f3efg

--
Hector A. Henry Sjogreen