-   -   iPad and Linux audio (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/628660-ipad-linux-audio.html)

Ralf Mardorf 02-03-2012 06:13 PM

iPad and Linux audio

Hi :)

sorry for the cross posting. I'm interested if there's really an
important usage for Linux (especially audio/MIDI), perhaps within the
limits of a jailbreak, for an iPod.

Someone from a Linux mailing list already sent me this links:

> http://hexler.net/software/touchosc
> http://liine.net/en/products/lemur/

I won an iPod 2 and I flirt with selling it and then to buy some Android
thingy instead.

I own a KORG nanoKONTROL, costs less than 3O €, so I won't keep an iPod
for more than 600 €, providing not much more than the same features. To
safe costs for ink cartridges an e-reader would be able to do the job.

In wonder if there are really important realtime abilities provided by
an iPod 2 that can be used with Linux. At the moment I'm using it with
VirtualBox, running something very annoying, to use this tabled
computer.

Perhaps somebody has experiences with iPod vs Android?!

Regards,
Ralf

Paul Davis 02-03-2012 06:17 PM

iPad and Linux audio

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> sorry for the cross posting. I'm interested if there's really an
> important usage for Linux (especially audio/MIDI), perhaps within the
> limits of a jailbreak, for an iPod.
>
> Someone from a Linux mailing list already sent me this links:
>
>> http://hexler.net/software/touchosc
>> http://liine.net/en/products/lemur/
>
> I won an iPod 2 and I flirt with selling it and then to buy some Android
> thingy instead.

speaking personally, i consider this more interesting:

http://saitarasoftware.com/Site/Home.html

Ralf Mardorf 02-03-2012 06:28 PM

iPad and Linux audio

On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 14:17 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > Hi :)
> >
> > sorry for the cross posting. I'm interested if there's really an
> > important usage for Linux (especially audio/MIDI), perhaps within the
> > limits of a jailbreak, for an iPod.
> >
> > Someone from a Linux mailing list already sent me this links:
> >
> >> http://hexler.net/software/touchosc
> >> http://liine.net/en/products/lemur/
> >
> > I won an iPod 2 and I flirt with selling it and then to buy some Android
> > thingy instead.
>
> speaking personally, i consider this more interesting:
>
> http://saitarasoftware.com/Site/Home.html

Wow, thank you Paul. I still wonder if it's useful to own an iPad ;).

Regards,
Ralf

Janne Jokitalo 02-03-2012 06:44 PM

iPad and Linux audio

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 08:28:37PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Wow, thank you Paul. I still wonder if it's useful to own an iPad ;).

Depending on your line of profession, there was a recent article [0] about using it
in conjunction with a Linode account that could prove useful.

[0] http://yieldthought.com/post/12239282034/swapped-my-macbook-for-an-ipad

--
Jaska

Ralf Mardorf 02-03-2012 06:50 PM

iPad and Linux audio

On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 21:44 +0200, Janne Jokitalo wrote:
> http://yieldthought.com/post/12239282034/swapped-my-macbook-for-an-ipad

*lol*

Thanx, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" ;).

Cheers,
Ralf

Ralf Mardorf 02-03-2012 07:15 PM

iPad and Linux audio

On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 20:50 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 21:44 +0200, Janne Jokitalo wrote:
> > http://yieldthought.com/post/12239282034/swapped-my-macbook-for-an-ipad
>
> *lol*
>
> Thanx, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" ;).
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

PS: A German iPad user maintaining a blog claimed that he will sell his
iPad, but he didn't. I'm uncertain ;). At least I'll use a jailbreak, if
I should keep the iPod 2.

I won this thingy, but buying it does cost similar as my PC + a RME
audio card did cost, while neither my PC nor my RME audio card ask me
giving away personal data.

Apple sucks, but at the same time it's fascinating.

Regards,
Ralf

Janne Jokitalo 02-03-2012 07:24 PM

iPad and Linux audio

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 09:15:48PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I won this thingy, but buying it does cost similar as my PC + a RME
> audio card did cost, while neither my PC nor my RME audio card ask me
> giving away personal data.

Being an almost complete Apple ignorant (I have a used iPod Classic, but I don't
think it counts much), how does iPad give away your personal data? And isn't it
a good thing if it asks before doing that, anyway?

--
Jaska

Nick Copeland 02-03-2012 07:37 PM

iPad and Linux audio

> From: ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net
> To: paul@linuxaudiosystems.com
> > > I won an iPod 2 and I flirt with selling it and then to buy some Android
> > http://saitarasoftware.com/Site/Home.html
>
> Wow, thank you Paul. I still wonder if it's useful to own an iPad ;).

There was a discussion recently on andraudio regarding Linux audio and the*Google*platform. The going response was that Linux is Linux,*Android*is blahblah blah. In short, the teams felt that never the twain should meet.
Personally I found that not just a bit black and white, but worse that Linuxaudio which has lived a life in a corner of a far of field was missing out on the*chance to ride on the crest of a wave that android is continuing to bring home.
There is plenty to lament in what Android brings to audio but at the sametime it has an immensity to offer to the audio isolate that is Linux audio. It is*a shame that LAD/LAU has not jumped on the Andriod bandwagon, or even*bothered to hi-jack it for their own needs. This is probably the only chancethat any kind of Linux audio can become mainstream.
I think Paul has a perspective on this although he has not expressed an opinion.My personal feeling is that Linux audio is a dynamic, open and very capableenvironment but that it might never break out into mainstream without*embracing a major platform such as Android now is. There are ~500,000 systemsbeing sparked up every day, and it is almost greenfield for audio development.
Kind regards, nick.

Paul Davis 02-03-2012 07:44 PM

iPad and Linux audio

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think Paul has a perspective on this although he has not expressed an
> opinion.

my perspective is two-fold:

1) (care of lincoln spiteri):
http://subversion.ardour.org/svn/thirdparty/ardroid/

2) Android audio is unusable for anything related to music creation or
pro-audio.
The incredibly long bug report on this leaves me with only one
feeling: Android's
master's don't care. If they don't care, its hard for me to.

--p

Nick Copeland 02-03-2012 08:45 PM

iPad and Linux audio

> 1) (care of lincoln spiteri):
> http://subversion.ardour.org/svn/thirdparty/ardroid/
>
> 2) Android audio is unusable for anything related to music creation or
> pro-audio.
> The incredibly long bug report on this leaves me with only one
> feeling: Android's
> master's don't care. If they don't care, its hard for me to.

You make very relevant points here and they are hard to argue against.
There *is a bigger picture though. The performance of device such as the ASUS
and Lenovo quad core tablets means android does not need to be relegated to remotecontrol. I still fully acknowledge the issues of android's masters and audio*creation. The thing is that the same issues never stopped Linux audio from developing,LAD/LAU laid the grounds for things that the kernel developers are finally embracingand that the Android people will also be forced to address.
Perhaps Android will remain another world but I don't see any other development thatreally puts linux so close to mainstream, and it is being ignored by pretty much the wholeof LAD/LAU. It is fast becoming a missed opportunity - as soon as Android resolves itsissues of real-time then the commercial audio companies will invade the space, they havealready expressed that desire and that will leave Linux audio in even more of a niche.
Regards, nick.