Old 02-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default iPad and Linux audio

On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 22:45 +0100, Nick Copeland wrote:
> > 1) (care of lincoln spiteri):
> > http://subversion.ardour.org/svn/thirdparty/ardroid/
> >
> > 2) Android audio is unusable for anything related to music creation
> or
> > pro-audio.
> > The incredibly long bug report on this leaves me with only one
> > feeling: Android's
> > master's don't care. If they don't care, its hard for me to.
>

> You make very relevant points here and they are hard to argue against.
>

> There is a bigger picture though. The performance of device such as
> the ASUS
> and Lenovo quad core tablets means android does not need to be
> relegated to remote
> control. I still fully acknowledge the issues of android's masters and
> audio
> creation. The thing is that the same issues never stopped Linux audio
> from developing,
> LAD/LAU laid the grounds for things that the kernel developers are
> finally embracing
> and that the Android people will also be forced to address.
>

> Perhaps Android will remain another world but I don't see any other
> development that
> really puts linux so close to mainstream, and it is being ignored by
> pretty much the whole
> of LAD/LAU. It is fast becoming a missed opportunity - as soon as
> Android resolves its
> issues of real-time then the commercial audio companies will invade
> the space, they have
> already expressed that desire and that will leave Linux audio in even
> more of a niche.
>

> Regards, nick.

Hi Nick,

this leads me to the issue how much people use tablet computers and for
what usage?
A friend said that lot's of her workmates don't use their PCs and
Laptops anymore, but an iPad instead. None of them is using an Android
tablet computer.
Personally I don't know anybody who owns a tablet computer, neither
Android based, nor an Apple. Only one friend is exited that I won such a
thingy, the others advice me to play a little bit with the iPad and then
I should sell it.

Are those tablet computers just a fashion or are they forerunners of
what we all will use in the future?
Stability? Hazardous waste? I guess to much people will through away
their tablet computers and get a new one, much before the batteries are
dead. PCs and Laptops IMO are used a while longer.

Some friends and I already stopped using mobile phones. There's nothing
wrong with using a mobile phone. I just want to say that there's not
only a trend pro such tools. Some people don't like to be interconnected
all the time.

Regards,
Ralf

Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 22:24 +0200, Janne Jokitalo wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 09:15:48PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > I won this thingy, but buying it does cost similar as my PC + a RME
> > audio card did cost, while neither my PC nor my RME audio card ask me
> > giving away personal data.
>
> Being an almost complete Apple ignorant (I have a used iPod Classic, but I don't
> think it counts much), how does iPad give away your personal data? And isn't it
> a good thing if it asks before doing that, anyway?

Hi Janne,

I don't have a Linux ID , but I've got an Apple ID. I "agreed" with
business conditions I don't agree with. I need to give away my bank
account data. Even hardliner Apple fans use jailbreaks, but that's
another story.

Regards,
Ralf

Old 02-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 22:45 +0100, Nick Copeland wrote:
> The performance of device such as the ASUS
> and Lenovo quad core tablets means android does not need to be
> relegated to remote
> control.

I did some research. Android on an iPad seems to be something that soon
or later will be available for everybody.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Gustin Johnson

I can't imagine using only a tablet, they are so constrained. *There is simply not enough power under the hood and the lack of a keyboard hurts for real work. *Having said that, there will be some interesting apps in the coming years as we all figure out how to make better use of a touch interface. *I also use my tablet a couple of times a week when my laptop is not nearby. *It is good for reading PDFs and ebooks (not as good as the kindle in bright light) and light email tasks. *

I also know a few a people who are using their tablet as their primary computing device. *As far as I can tell none of them do much more than sending short emails, and reading web pages and watching videos. *Not a lot of actual content creation. *It is currently a great consumption device but the creation side still has a way to go.

If you keep the Apple iPad, Korg has some sweet apps. *If you do end up going with an Android, my favourite apps are gstrings, GuitarTapp, SpectralPro Analyser, and Audio Tool.