Old 01-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Brian David

Default Gamma settings

Hello everyone, and happy New Year!

I'm wondering if any of you can help me with a problem. I'm having a
difficult time getting my gamma settings to stick. I'm using the ATI
Catalyst Control Center to set the gamma level to .63. However, the
gamma reverts to 1.0 on each new session. The frustrating part is
that, if I check the gamma levels (by running 'xgamma' in the
terminal, for instance, or just re-opening Catalyst), the output tells
me that the gamma is .63. The display is clearly not using this gamma
setting, though, and to get it to use the levels I want, I need to
re-adjust the settings (in either Catalyst or using xgamma), at which
point it works. I have a feeling this has something to do with my
display color profiles, but I'm what I'd need to change to fix this.

This behavior is really obnoxious, and I'm wondering if any of you
know how to get this to stop. I'm using vanilla Ubuntu 11.10, with
the Unity 2d desktop.

Thanks for any help!
--
-Brian David

Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Brian David

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Brian David <beejunk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone, and happy New Year!
>
> I'm wondering if any of you can help me with a problem. *I'm having a
> difficult time getting my gamma settings to stick. *I'm using the ATI
> Catalyst Control Center to set the gamma level to .63. *However, the
> gamma reverts to 1.0 on each new session. *The frustrating part is
> that, if I check the gamma levels (by running 'xgamma' in the
> terminal, for instance, or just re-opening Catalyst), the output tells
> me that the gamma is .63. *The display is clearly not using this gamma
> setting, though, and to get it to use the levels I want, I need to
> re-adjust the settings (in either Catalyst or using xgamma), at which
> point it works. *I have a feeling this has something to do with my
> display color profiles, but I'm what I'd need to change to fix this.

For anyone who might be interested, I found a solution to my problem.
I added this line to ~/.profile:

(sleep 5; xgamma -gamma .7) &

Whatever it is that is resetting the gamma is getting executed after
~/.profile is run, so this is why the sleep command is used. Works on
my machine, and now I don't have to reset gamma every time I log in.

--
-Brian David