Old 12-20-2011, 03:27 PM

Default Problems with buttons

Hi everyone

I upgraded to 11.10 a couple of weeks ago and so far have found
everything to be fine apart from one little niggle: buttons in certain
applications don't work at all.

It seems to be system-related apps. For instance, in Synaptic, I can't
add new repositories because the Add button on the Repositories dialogue
box just doesn't do anything (not even the animation that it has been
clicked). The Close button on the dialogue doesn't work either.

Just this morning, the Update Manager alerted me of updates, but the
Install Updates and Close buttons didn't work (although the Check one
did). When I opened up the Update Manager from the menu, the Install
Updates button worked fine, but the Close one didn't once the updates
were done.

I think I've had problems with other system apps as well, but I can't
remember what those were off the top of my head.

It's rather annoying, especially not being able to add repos through
Synaptic. What's going wrong? How do I fix it?

Thanks in advance

Old 12-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Erik Rasmussen

11.04 of Ubuntu Studio is based on Ubuntu, which was Gnome based.11.10 of Ubuntu Studio is based on Xubuntu, which is based on XFCE.

I don't know for certain this is the reason, (because I did not try to upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10), but I wonder if there are either further updates you need to do to be fully switched or if the different desktop-base is the cause?

Wonder if running the following from the command line will help? *(Or did you already try it?)
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

Old 12-20-2011, 07:12 PM

11.04 of Ubuntu Studio is based on Ubuntu, which was Gnome based.
11.10 of Ubuntu Studio is based on Xubuntu, which is based on XFCE.

I don't know for certain this is the reason, (because I did not try to
upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10), but I wonder if there are either further
updates you need to do to be fully switched or if the different
desktop-base is the cause?

Wonder if running the following from the command line will help? (Or
did you already try it?)

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

I did do a fresh install rather than an upgrade, if that makes any
difference.

I was a long-time user of 9.10, switched briefly (couple of months) to
Xubuntu 11.04 with US packages (which didn't work out too well), now
11.10 US. Each time though it's using the same /home partition but the
actual OS is always a clean install.

I have managed to update things on several occasions since I installed
9.10 -- all it did was upgrade a package since this morning's upgrade,
but thanks anyway for the suggestion. It's odd that different buttons
are broken depending on whether the Update Manager pops up automatically
or is launched from the menu.

Best wishes

Old 12-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Erik Rasmussen

"Each time though it's using the same /home partition but the actual OS is always a clean install."

Wonder what would happen if you try creating a new user to test how a brand-new user account works?