Old 12-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Scott Lavender

Default choosing typical desktop applications

hello,

i'm unsure how to properly describe these applications, but the applications i am discussing are the ones that would be included on a typical desktop installation that would not be directly related to create audio, video, or graphics.

but during the transition to xfce we have re-evaluated which applications (like text edit, image viewer, etc) we are shipping with ubuntu studio.* after some research into what he have shipped previously, what xubuntu is shipping, and what else is out there i have a set of applications that i would like to use and get input from the community.

two things to keep in mind.* i think ralf said that we can't please everyone, which is true.* also, since ubuntu studio is not directly a xfce distribution we have the latitude to choose gnome apps over xfce apps.* in this case, i have chosen what i think best serves our users and fits our development/direction.

here they are:

text editor - gedit
image viewer - ristretto
pdf viewer - evince
audio player - audacious
video player - totem
file manager - nautilus
disc burner - brasero

a few caveats and explanations about the choices.

gedit was chosen because it's good and it includes coding functionality.

audacious has been our choice for a while because it doesn't rely on the 'library' mode to play a song.* this means you can check your latest remix of your song easily by opening the file directly.

i really would like to move back to nautilus for the file manager.* tabs are a big reason for this but i have also noticed a very frustrated delay between launching thunar and seeing the window.* this transition might take a few weeks simply because i have other changes to make and thunar is quite invasively included in the xubuntu seeds and i want to understand the changes i might make before doing them willy-nilly and breaking something badly.

okay, i'd like to hear your input and suggestions.* if i do not receive any input then this is what i will go with.* and remember, not everyone will be happy.

scottl

Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 PM
"Ralf Mardorf"

Title: RE: choosing typical desktop applications

text editor - gedit

+1 even if I like Leafpad too

image viewer - ristretto

I never take much care about the image viewer

pdf viewer - evince

+1

audio player - audacious

+1, since all of them suck, but I'm using Audacous very often

video player - totem

Similar as for the audio players, I chose them randomly

file manager - nautilus

For Xfce?

+1 if it won't cause issues when somebody has Xfce and GNOME installed, such as switching to GNOME desktop after closing Nautilus in Xfce .

disc burner - brasero

No, K3b!

I also would encourage you to use Shutter as default for screenshots.

Parted Magic is using a manipulated version of Thunar, maybe you could take a look at it.

IMO your choices are very good.

2 Cents,

Ralf

Old 12-14-2011, 06:36 PM
"Lawrence H. Bulk"

May I suggest as a photo viewing application Gwenview. I like this much better than Ristretto.

I strongly suggest that the VLC media player and all its components be included as the default video player. (It can be used for audio as well though Audacious is fine as a default audio player.)

K3b is a far better burner than Brasero and I would suggest that it be incorporated as the default.

I myself use what is shown as Document Viewer to view PDFs. I do not know the name of the actual program but I like it.

And I agree with you that the Nautilus file manager is a far better designed one than is Thunar and Nautilus should be the default.

Just my two cents ...

Lawrence

Old 12-14-2011, 07:47 PM
"DrumAliens"

Yes Nautilus is a good choice it also has the ability to map in network drives built in. *Thunar is sadly lacking in this department
*

Old 12-15-2011, 12:56 AM
"Ralf Mardorf"

Title: RE: choosing typical desktop applications

May I suggest as a photo viewing application Gwenview. I like this much

better than Ristretto.

+++

I don't know the names, but it's e.g. important to be able to move the pics with the mouse when full screen displays enlarged pics.

---

VLC

+++

I usually install all common video players, e.g. totem and vlc, since sometimes a vidio will be played only by one of the tons of video players I've got installed. Dunno what backend is able to play what formats, but already the frontends seem to cause issues.

---

K3b is a far better burner than Brasero and I would suggest that it be

incorporated as the default.

+++

K3B IS THE ONLY VALID ALL-AROUND BURNER. We anywa will have some KDE libs, we don't need Kate instead of Gedit etc., but we do need K3b.

Ralf

Old 12-15-2011, 01:07 AM
"Ralf Mardorf"

Title: RE: choosing typical desktop applications

I don't know the names, but it's e.g. important to be able to move the pics with the mouse when full screen displays enlarged pics.

PS: Or at least with scroll bars.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:34 AM
"Ralf Mardorf"

Title: RE: choosing typical desktop applications

The default terminal emulator might be important too. At the moment I'm using the Xfce thingy (not for Ubuntu Studio, my Ubuntu still runs GNOME2), but I might install the GNOME terminal soon *undecided*.

OT: FWIW IMO xfce panel should be added to the application autostart list by default.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:22 PM
tommy

I think all of these are perfect except totem. VLC seems to work much better for me in all situations and it is one of the first programs I add on a fresh install.
*text editor - gedit
+1
image viewer - ristretto

+1
pdf viewer - evince
+1
audio player - audacious
+1
video player - totem
(maybe VLC)
file manager - nautilus
++1
disc burner - brasero
+1

Old 12-15-2011, 06:12 PM
"Ralf Mardorf"

Title: RE: choosing typical desktop applications