Old 12-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Satyen Sheth

Default MOTU -- parallel port version

Sending this again.. not sure if it got to the list:

I don't see a lot of activity on this list, but here goes.
I'm very excited to see this project, thank you!

I'm running Natty (Ubuntu Studio)

If anyone has feedback on my problem, I'd like to hear from you.

GOAL:
produce a song using linux music tools and show that it can be done using perfectly working OLDER midi gear which is no
longer supported by companies.* My interest is getting MOTU-XT working, speicifically.*

There is a huge demand from abandoned
users (per gearslutz forums) for getting good use out of motu-xt/av (parallel port versions).
I believe that Linux can be a viable solution for producing professional quality music.

Problem:
I have an old MOTU XT which I'm trying to get working with Ubuntu Studio.
In general - lack of documentation and tutorials.

Specifics:
BIOS parallel port setting: port 278, irq = 7
Boot into ubuntu, have to load modprobe snd-mtpav manually (module installs)Fire up Jackd and it sees MTPAV under ALSATo see this I goto either: patch bay or connections
Issues:

lsmod shows parallel port and snd_mtpav and dependent modules installedsince snd-mtpav is installed after boot - manually, parallel port has already grabbed resource? (not sure)Not sure what the "play" button does on jackd (not documented anywhere)
Tried MANY permutations of connections from jackd connections windowWhy are there two windows which seem to do the same thing: connection window and patchbay windowTried to connect computer to direct port 1 (input/output)
Tried to connect broadcast to direct port 1 (input/output)Observed.. pressing key on synth keyboard shows MIDI OUT signal is OK (red light on MOTU-XT lights up)
MIDI IN fails (green light never comes on)
this means MIDI loop is NOT complete
Not a lot of good examples with MOTU unitjackd docs are a bit scarce.thanks for reading

Old 12-09-2011, 02:09 AM
Scott Lavender

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Satyen Sheth <satyen.sheth@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sending this again.. not sure if it got to the list:
>
> I don't see a lot of activity on this list, but here goes.
> I'm very excited to see this project, thank you!
>
> I'm running Natty (Ubuntu Studio)
>
> If anyone has feedback on my problem, I'd like to hear from you.
>

> GOAL:
> produce a song using linux music tools and show that it can be done using
> perfectly working OLDER midi gear which is no
> longer supported by companies.* My interest is getting MOTU-XT working,
> speicifically.
> There is a huge demand from abandoned
> users (per gearslutz forums) for getting good use out of motu-xt/av
> (parallel port versions).
> I believe that Linux can be a viable solution for producing professional
> quality music.
>

> Problem:
> I have an old MOTU XT which I'm trying to get working with Ubuntu Studio.
> In general - lack of documentation and tutorials.
>

> Specifics:
>
> BIOS parallel port setting: port 278, irq = 7
> Boot into ubuntu, have to load modprobe snd-mtpav manually (module installs)
> Fire up Jackd and it sees MTPAV under ALSA
>
> To see this I goto either: patch bay or connections
>

> Issues:
>
> lsmod shows parallel port and snd_mtpav and dependent modules installed
> since snd-mtpav is installed after boot - manually, parallel port has
> already grabbed resource? (not sure)
> Not sure what the "play" button does on jackd (not documented anywhere)
> Tried MANY permutations of connections from jackd connections window
>
> Why are there two windows which seem to do the same thing: connection window
> and patchbay window
> Tried to connect computer to direct port 1 (input/output)
> Tried to connect broadcast to direct port 1 (input/output)
>
> Observed.. pressing key on synth keyboard shows MIDI OUT signal is OK (red
> light on MOTU-XT lights up)
>
> MIDI IN fails (green light never comes on)
> this means MIDI loop is NOT complete
>
> Not a lot of good examples with MOTU unit
> jackd docs are a bit scarce.
>
> thanks for reading

hi satyen,

this email was posted to the list, but i'm not sure how many people
have MOTU's though.

scottl

Old 12-09-2011, 02:29 AM
Mike Holstein

yeah, there really is only the official motu documentation, and they are volatile toward linux development. i say, vote with your wallet, and go with RME or saphire.

MH
mikeholstein.info

Old 12-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Kaj Ailomaa

Check out linuxaudio-user mail list. That's where you want to go
with these kind of issues. Lots of activity there and skilled people
who can help you.

Then there are irc channels at irc.freenode.net/8001. #lad #jack
#opensourcemusicians #alsa

You might also want to check in on the alsa user mail list.

Good luck with your device.

[...]

1. BIOS parallel port setting: port 278, irq = 7
2. Boot into ubuntu, have to load modprobe snd-mtpav manually (module
installs)
3. Fire up Jackd and it sees MTPAV under ALSA
1. To see this I goto either: patch bay or connections

-

Old 12-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Kaj Ailomaa

out linuxaudio-user mail list. That's where you want to go with
these kind of issues. Lots of activity there and skilled people
who can help you.

Here are the linuxaudio mail lists

****** -