Old 12-05-2011, 09:02 PM
bart deruyter

Default rakarrack sync tempo with jack x-run

Hi all,

I've managed to set up my system oneiric, 64 bit to run fairly well, though I have noticed I still have a problem with a certain setup.

When using two instances of rakarrack, and hydrogen, I let hydrogen run through one instance of rakarrack, then one input of my sound card for my guitar through the other instance of rakarrack.

This works fairly well, but then I set hydrogen as sync master, and enable the tempo sync from rakarrack to jack and I start to get x-runs.

Is there something I can do to improve my system apart from those on the linuxmusicians wiki?

I already modified the settings for IRQ handling, and set ohci1394 (sound card is firewire based) as second in the list too.

I've read something about the clocksource in the man page of jackd, but I don't understand what it means. clocksource cycle, hpet and system are the options. What does this mean, and what would be recommended. Could this flag in jackd improve performance?

I already use xfce too by the way.

grtz,
Barthttp://www.bartart3d.be/

Old 12-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Gustin Johnson

hpet is a hardware timer included on most machines since 2005
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Precision_Event_Timer)

This is generally what I use.

You may also want to disable frequency scaling as I have noticed that
xruns seem to occur when the CPU changes frequencies. There should be
an applet for that (there was under Gnome). I use KDE which does not
seem to have such an applet, so I wrote a quick little script to
handle that.

I also assume that you meant that you have already installed and tweaked rtirq?

Hth,

Old 12-08-2011, 07:02 AM
bart deruyter

Thanks for the info,

by testing, error and trial, it seems to be fixed so far by using jackd -c s. I've figured out my chipset has no hpet.

I've edited a config file to give ohci1394 higher priorities since my soundcard is firewire based. But it only had the opposite effect, strangely enough, so I changed it back to it's default state.

I've managed to set the frequency scaling to 'performance' by default. My machine is no laptop, so I think that shouldn't be an issue for the temperature, apart from power consumption :-).

I also noticed rakarrack caused errors x-runs, just by handling it's interface, moving a slider, clicking on a button. I don't know why, it was no problem in the past. Anyways, starting jackd with -c s was a major improvement so far.

Grtz,

Barthttp://www.bartart3d.be/