Old 11-26-2007, 05:27 PM
"Graham Goode"

Default Qsampler and Ubuntu Studio

I know that Qsampler requires linuxsampler in order to function, and that due to the 'non commercial' licensing requirement linuxsampler cannot be included, but I use Qsampler all the time. I download and compile linuxsampler for myself, so I am aware of the different licensing issues regarding the different parts needed. So, maybe drop it from the pre-installed stuff, but please keep it available in a supported repository. I use Qsampler because I have GIGA samples and it's the best Linux alternative currently available.

I know that it is frustrating for new users to click on Qsampler and only get 'cannot connect to linuxsampler' errors, so if Qsampler is kept in the distro then maybe a warning notice can be made to run if linuxsampler has not been installed.

Having said all this, please know that I think Ubuntu Studio is absolutely amazing. I wish it could have VST support in Ardour and Wineasio prebuilt with Wine, but I understand the philosophy governing Ubuntu. Well done guys, this rocks!

GrahamG
Johannesburg

Old 11-27-2007, 07:36 AM
"Luis de Bethencourt"

GrahamG,

I totally understand your position. You use a software a lot and would
like to have easier access to it.

But let me show you mine, we make a free software distro because we
share the love for free software, and we want to see multimedia
production grow in the free software world. Off course we want to make
it easier for users, it's one of our key objectives. But if we
endorse, even indirectly the use of not floss licensed software, we
are not helping the growth it needs.

Luis de Bethencourt

On Nov 26, 2007 7:27 PM, Graham Goode <ggoode.sa@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know that Qsampler requires linuxsampler in order to function, and that
> due to the 'non commercial' licensing requirement linuxsampler cannot be
> included, but I use Qsampler all the time. I download and compile
> linuxsampler for myself, so I am aware of the different licensing issues
> regarding the different parts needed. So, maybe drop it from the
> pre-installed stuff, but please keep it available in a supported repository.
> I use Qsampler because I have GIGA samples and it's the best Linux
> alternative currently available.
>
> I know that it is frustrating for new users to click on Qsampler and only
> get 'cannot connect to linuxsampler' errors, so if Qsampler is kept in the
> distro then maybe a warning notice can be made to run if linuxsampler has
> not been installed.
>
> Having said all this, please know that I think Ubuntu Studio is absolutely
> amazing. I wish it could have VST support in Ardour and Wineasio prebuilt
> with Wine, but I understand the philosophy governing Ubuntu. Well done guys,
> this rocks!
>
> GrahamG
> Johannesburg

Luis de Bethencourt Guimerį