Old 07-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Ed Byrne

Default Internet problems

Has anyone any experience in using Ubuntu Studio with an*
Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
on an HP laptop? For the life of me I can't get it to connect to the internet

All the best
E Byrne

Old 07-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Adam Rowat

Maybe the wifi was disabled at installation so it did not conflict with the low latency thing, thats what happened to me anyway.

good luck.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 AM
Leonard Flaharty

Have you tried updating to the latest updates?* Also, are you running the latest version of Ubuntu Studio (11.04)?
Have you applied the "Additional Drivers" posted under the "Administration" Menu, under "System" on the menu?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:17 AM
Jussi Schultink

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 3:18 AM, Ed Byrne <ed.o.byrne@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running 9.10 for the real time kernel, I think I've got the problem
> solved though, thanks for the help

Generally its considered good practice to give how you solved the
issue, so that we can all learn and reuse the answer if need be.
Please do share what you did to make it work.

Jussi

Old 07-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Ed Byrne

Mhmm I was planning on relaying my process once I was sure it worked.
In Ubuntu Studio 9.10, there is a check box in "Ubuntu Studio Controls" under System>Administration called "Enable Nice" which if enabled allows the network adapter to use the CPU, first that had to be enabled. However, the problem was not yet solved. The "Network Monitor" displayed for the connection being used an incorrect port title, the connection being at "wlan0", and the network monitor reading "wlan0:avari."*

After this was corrected and the system rebooted the connection was working, sending and recieving information. Firefox however still cannot use the connection, which leads me to believe that it may be a proxy problem. Also, for the particular connection, that is in the "Network" tool from the System>Administration, and specifically the wireless connection being broadcast from my router, the interface displays a password of incorrect length despite numerous manual entries, so I still think something is not clicking with the Atheros driver.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:19 AM
Ed Byrne

Final solution found:
in the "interfaces" document in the directory "/etc/network/" I changed the "wpa-driver" entry to "ath5k", which is the driver for the Atheros cards, now the internet works just fine, hope this helps anyone else out having these problems