Old 07-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Hakan Koseoglu

Default Artistx?

Just noticed this on the Distrowatch's RSS feed, the aims appear to be
identical to the UbuntuStudio or am I missing something? The single
screenshot looks pretty nice.
http://www.artistx.org/site3/
Cheers,

Old 07-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Vincent de Grandpré

Well I didn't saw any Ardour there, wich is, in my opinion, a basic
stone in Audio Production..

Anyone has any relevant comments on this?
It lacks documentation, and it seems pretty new!

Why another distro for multimedia purposes? Do the managers of the
project knew about Ubuntu-Studio? Are they pissed by something (first
law of Raymond)?

What's that?

All the best!

--
Vincent

Old 07-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2011-07-07 at 08:50 -0400, Vincent de Grandpré wrote:
> Well I didn't saw any Ardour there, wich is, in my opinion, a basic
> stone in Audio Production..
>
> Anyone has any relevant comments on this?

Kernel 2.6.38 for audio productions? Current patch-rt is for 2.6.33, 'rt
patch emulation' is for kernels ex 2.6.39.

FWIW a quote from the website:

"Music software: PD and externals, Rosegarden, Ardour, TerminatorX,
Cecilia/Csound."

No additional comments by me, Ubuntu Studio and Debian are also missing
an audio production capable kernel. I don't know this distro.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Vincent de Grandpré

Le jeudi 07 juillet 2011 à 15:25 +0200, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
> On Thu, 2011-07-07 at 08:50 -0400, Vincent de Grandpré wrote:
> > Well I didn't saw any Ardour there, wich is, in my opinion, a basic
> > stone in Audio Production..
> >
> > Anyone has any relevant comments on this?
>
> Kernel 2.6.38 for audio productions? Current patch-rt is for 2.6.33, 'rt
> patch emulation' is for kernels ex 2.6.39.
>
> FWIW a quote from the website:
>
> "Music software: PD and externals, Rosegarden, Ardour, TerminatorX,
> Cecilia/Csound."

Yes on the front page I see it now, but not in the Software section.

Missed that...

Is this a kind of fork or something? A rebellion? haha!

Old 07-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Vincent de Grandpré

Old 07-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 7 July 2011 15:03, Vincent de Grandpré <vincent.de.grandpre@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this a kind of fork or something? A rebellion? haha!
Hahahah, competition is a good thing, prevents stagnation.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Old 07-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Mike Holstein

artistX has been around for a while, and ive heard great things about it. AVlinux started out as ubuntu based too. customization is really a motivating factor in making an ubuntu based multimedia distro instead of using ubuntustudio. there are some�customizations�that ubuntustudio *cannot* do that a personal custom spin can do. a great example of this is KXstudio. FalkTX is the KXstudio dev, and has done some amazing things in this area that ubuntustudio could never fully emulate and maintain official ubuntu�derivative status. an easy way to take ubuntu and make your own custom spin is by using�http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/�.

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:

On 7 July 2011 15:03, Vincent de Grandpr�lt;vincent.de.grandpre@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this a kind of fork or something? A rebellion? haha!

Hahahah, competition is a good thing, prevents stagnation.

MH
mikeholstein.info