Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 AM
mentoj dija

Default changing to debian?

hi,
i don't want to cause any war or smth. and a simple NO is answer enough:

but isn't it time to switch to debian to build a studio-distro out of??

Old 06-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Ricardo Lameiro

Well, ubuntu is based on debian, most of the pacakages used by
ubuntustudio come directly from debian syncs.
Bear in mind that making a distro is hard and needs a lot of
development time and effort.

Also, I dont think that UbuntuStudio will change to debian as its upstream

Just for curiosity, why did you asked about that? what would be the
advantages of moving into debian in your POV?

cheers

2011/6/30 mentoj dija <mentoj_dija@gmx.de>:
> hi,
> i don't want to cause any war or smth. and a simple NO is answer enough:
>
> but isn't it time to switch to debian to build a studio-distro out of??

Fagote / Contrafagote
Bassoon / Contra-bassoon
http://myspace.com/ricardolameiro

Old 06-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Ricardo Lameiro

Old 06-30-2011, 03:44 PM
mentoj dija

well, i'm using ubuntu for 4 years
now.
but i finally have enough of it. i'm tiered of updating a hole
system
after half a year. i know, that can be helpfull, but its also
annoying. and the change to unity clearly showed me, that its
going
into a bad direction, which is not any more focused on the users.
in
my eyes.

i probably will stay with Ubuntu studio for music
production, but for my daily work, i defenitly will change to
debian (testing).
Unfortunately i'm not smart enough to compile a real-time-kernl by
myself. Thats why i have to stay with 10.04 for my studio distro.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Mike Holstein

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:44 AM, mentoj dija <mentoj_dija@gmx.de> wrote:

well, i'm using ubuntu for 4 years
now.
but i finally have enough of it. i'm tiered of updating a hole
system
after half a year. i know, that can be helpfull, but its also
annoying. and the change to unity clearly showed me, that its
going
into a bad direction, which is not any more focused on the users.
in
my eyes.

i probably will stay with Ubuntu studio for music
production, but for my daily work, i defenitly will change to
debian (testing).
Unfortunately i'm not smart enough to compile a real-time-kernl by
myself. Thats why i have to stay with 10.04 for my studio distro.
�you might want to look at something with a rolling release (linux mint debian edition comes to mind)... personally, i run the LTS version of ubuntu (LTS = long term support) those are supported for 5 years, and come around every 2 years. the latest LTS release is lucid 10.04. this means i do *not* update/upgrade every 6 months.�

unity is just one of the desktop options we have with ubuntu, if it doesnt meet your needs/wants, check out XFCE, KDE, GNOME or LXDE (or any of the other options)... this is however the ubuntustudio mailing list, and we are not planning on shipping the unity DE as default anytime soon, so you may want redirect your valid critiques of the unity desktop to the ubuntu desktop team mailing list�https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop ... (the desktop team wiki page :�https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam�)

we have several PPA contributors for -realtime kernel options. very soon we will not need a different kernel for these tasks. here is the official word from the debian multimedia team about realtime kernels, and the lack of one for debian (source�http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia#Realtime_kernel )

"The Debian Multimedia team is not working on including a kernel image with the realtime-patches applied in Debian. Much of the realtime-patches have been accepted in the mainline kernel, to the point that for most purposes the stock Debian kernel is suitable even for realtime-like work."

if you end up using debian, i have heard good things about the liquorix kernel�http://liquorix.net/�, but AFAIK the distro AVlinux has a custom RT kernel that is available somewhere for download and can be used with debian.

all of that being said, you can feel free to get�involved in any area of ubuntu (ubuntustudio for example) and help guide it in the direction you feel it should go.�if that seems like to much to take on, all of this software is open and freely available.. you can always make your own distro with whatever desktop environment, and whatever kernel, and whatever packages you want. AND, you can email this list with links to where to download and check it out...

Well, ubuntu is based on debian, most of the pacakages used by
ubuntustudio come directly from debian syncs.
Bear in mind that making a distro is hard and needs a lot of
development time and effort.

Also, I dont think that UbuntuStudio will change to debian as its upstream

Just for curiosity, why did you asked about that? what would be the
advantages of moving into debian in your POV?

i don't want to cause any war or smth. and a simple NO is answer enough:

but isn't it time to switch to debian to build a studio-distro out of??

MH
mikeholstein.info

Old 06-30-2011, 07:58 PM
mentoj dija

*
you might want to look at something with a rolling release
(linux mint debian edition comes to mind)... personally, i run
the LTS version of ubuntu (LTS = long term support) those are
supported for 5 years, and come around every 2 years. the
latest LTS release is lucid 10.04. this means i do *not*
update/upgrade every 6 months.*

yes, of course i know about the LTS. but again, i have old versions
of the software then.

unity is just one of the desktop options we have with
ubuntu, if it doesnt meet your needs/wants, check out XFCE,
KDE, GNOME or LXDE (or any of the other options)... this is
however the ubuntustudio mailing list, and we are not planning
on shipping the unity DE as default anytime soon, so you may
want redirect your valid critiques of the unity desktop to the
ubuntu desktop team mailing list*https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop
... (the desktop team wiki page :*https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam*)

i know. and i realy like the idea of Ubuntu studio with xfce. I just
think, the unity-thing shows, what ubuntu is going to be. and i just
don't know, if thats the right thing for a studio distro

)

"The Debian Multimedia team is not working on including a
kernel image with the realtime-patches applied in Debian. Much
of the realtime-patches have been accepted in the mainline
kernel, to the point that for most purposes the stock Debian
kernel is suitable even for realtime-like work."

if you end up using debian, i have heard good things about
the liquorix kernel*http://liquorix.net/*, but
AFAIK the distro AVlinux has a custom RT kernel that is
available somewhere for download and can be used with debian.

cheers. i check that out.

all of that being said, you can feel free to get*involved
in any area of ubuntu (ubuntustudio for example) and help
guide it in the direction you feel it should go.*if that seems
like to much to take on, all of this software is open and
freely available.. you can always make your own distro with
whatever desktop environment, and whatever kernel, and
whatever packages you want. AND, you can email this list with
links to where to download and check it out...
*

yes i know. but i am just a stupid user. i have no idea of
programming. I only love the idea of a free
music-production-central. and don't get me wrong. i am sure, the
US-development team is making the right decisions after all.

woob on!

Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Gustin Johnson

10.04 is an LTS so you do not need to upgrade it for 3 years.

64Studio will be basing their next version on Debian if you are really
against Ubuntu.

I don't care about Unity, as long as I can choose something else from
apt I don't really care (Xubuntu and Kubuntu are still going to be
around). Unity is not reason enough to abandon Ubuntu IMO.

I have both Debian and Ubuntu boxen at home, for desktop use, Debian
is still a major PITA to get working. As much as Canonical and Ubuntu
annoy me sometimes, I can work around the aspects that I dislike
faster than I can get a Debian desktop ready for my workflow.

Of course YMMV.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:02 AM
aYo Binitie

I have raged against Ubuntu's directional change, a comment made here, to me when I questioned the possible use of xfce made me do some due diligence. The comment was explore it before you condemn it. In the light of that comment I explored xfce, mint and natty. I did not like the the vanilla xfce but, it's customisable. Loved Mint I have that as my office OS now. upgraded one of my laptops at home to Natty and persevered for a few days, you know what, after getting round the changes I have to say its not bad. It's not there yet but, it's not bad. 1 or 2 more releases should make a difference.

On 30 Jun 2011 16:44, "mentoj dija" <mentoj_dija@gmx.de> wrote:> well, i'm using ubuntu for 4 years now. but i finally have enough of it.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi

I 'switched' to Debian, but kept Ubuntu Studio, in other words, my
machine is a multi-boot Linux computer.

> well, i'm using ubuntu for 4 years now. but i finally have enough of
> it. i'm tiered of updating a hole system after half a year.

Stay at an 'outdated version' as long as it fit to your needs.

> i know, that can be helpfull, but its also annoying. and the change to
> unity clearly showed me, that its going into a bad direction, which is
> not any more focused on the users. in my eyes.

Full ACK! I don't have the time to add a list with pros and cons, so the
short version. Doing a minimal install of a mixed Debian stable and
testing comes with many advantages compared to Ubuntu Studio, but it
also has got a big disadvantage, nothing can be done automatically, you
even need to know what packages to install, to get the printer working,
while for Ubuntu Studio you just need to open a GUI. For Debian there
e.g. is a startup script that switches CPU frequency scaling always to
ondemand, if you aren't aware of 'things' like this, then you'll
experience a lot of bad surprises. Regarding to my NVIDI graphics I need
a mix of stable (for the graphics) and testing (for current apps), this
wouldn't be an issue if pinning would work as it should do, but it
doesn't. I always need to check if everything is correct, before I
upgrade packages.
Again, full ACK, but unfortunately it's the same for Debian. There are
pros and cons for both distros.

> i probably will stay with Ubuntu studio for music production, but for
> my daily work, i defenitly will change to debian (testing).
> Unfortunately i'm not smart enough to compile a real-time-kernl by
> myself. Thats why i have to stay with 10.04 for my studio distro.

As soon as I've got some time, I can write a howto compile a kernel ex
2.6.39 and how to enable 'rt emulation'. It's the same way for Ubuntu
and Debian.

FWIW, I attached the scripts I used to build my Debian kernels. To get
the 2.6.39 emulation work, you also need to edit GRUB and note, ALSA for
the kernel-rt is outdated, you might need to compile ALSA too.

Hth,

Ralf

Old 07-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Janne Jokitalo

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 06:02:14AM +0100, aYo Binitie wrote:
> I have raged against Ubuntu's directional change, a comment made here, to me
> when I questioned the possible use of xfce made me do some due diligence.
> The comment was explore it before you condemn it. In the light of that
> comment I explored xfce, mint and natty. I did not like the the vanilla xfce
> but, it's customisable. Loved Mint I have that as my office OS now. upgraded
> one of my laptops at home to Natty and persevered for a few days, you know
> what, after getting round the changes I have to say its not bad. It's not
> there yet but, it's not bad. 1 or 2 more releases should make a difference.

Please trim your posts.

Well, Natty is still based on GNOME 2, so you have not gotten a glimpse of
anything in the future. Sad to say, to me it's the least marketable release, at
least on some machines.

Nevertheless, 11.10 will be totally different, and believe me, very unpolished.
But we still have some time until the next LTS, so please do bear that in mind.

Glad to hear that you like what you've seen, though. Please stay tuned for more.

--
Jaska