-   -   Dell Latitude D630 Wireless (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/533706-dell-latitude-d630-wireless.html)

Adam Behnke 06-01-2011 05:34 PM

Dell Latitude D630 Wireless

just to get some backstory, have you tried running additional drivers

i'm in kubuntu at the moment but the kubuntu command is jockey-kde or
it's found in system administration somewhere

Mike Holstein 06-01-2011 05:46 PM

Dell Latitude D630 Wireless

I'm a pretty smart guy, but I can't seem to get wireless working on my Dell Latitude D630. *Anyone have an idea to try or a HowTo to point me to. *(yeah, I'm THAT old-school.)

Many thanks!

Matt

is it a broadcom chip?check out https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx

AFAIK theres a bug that keeps the additional drivers dialog from popping up, but you should be able to determine from that link if its applicable to your hardware, and how to deal with the issue if it is... also, if you have some live CD's such as ubuntu 10.04 laying around, see if you can get it working in there easily, and note what driver the device uses, and that should help you with whatever version you are struggling with now.*

MH
http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/http://wnclug.ourproject.org/

Matthew Polashek 06-01-2011 08:24 PM

Dell Latitude D630 Wireless

I have the intel WIFI chip.

Blootooth is working fine.

Cellular is not.

Matthew Polashek 06-01-2011 08:25 PM

Dell Latitude D630 Wireless

0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
[Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

Hakan Koseoglu 06-01-2011 09:35 PM

On 1 June 2011 21:24, Matthew Polashek <matt@tinysongs.net> wrote:
> I have the intel WIFI chip.
>
> Blootooth is working fine.
>
> Cellular is not.
Not all D630s have the cellular option (mine didn't). WiFi & bluetooth
worked fine with Maverick until I handed it back in and got a 6410
instead. I tested FC15 on an D630 last weekend and everything worked
fine too.

Gustin Johnson 06-01-2011 09:35 PM

Dell Latitude D630 Wireless

OK, that is weird since I have not had problems with the Intel wifi
for years now. Does your Latitude have a hardware switch that turns
off your wifi? I know my current Latitude E6400 does as does the D830
I had before.

What modules are loaded? "lsmod |grep 80211", is there an interface?
"sudo iwconfig"

For me the Intel wifi devices have just worked.

Matthew Polashek 06-01-2011 10:05 PM

Dell Latitude D630 Wireless

lsmod

mac80211 269003 2 iwl3945,iwlcore
cfg80211 167809 3 iwl3945,iwlcore,mac80211

This does have the hardware switch.

I resolved the problem by installing backports and Wicd. Interesing.
They must have phased out the support for the Intel WIFI I have.

Now to get the cell working.....

Gustin Johnson 06-01-2011 10:12 PM

Dell Latitude D630 Wireless

wicd is just a software layer that manages various connections. The
hardware itself is still supported by the kernel and is not going
anywhere anytime soon. I am not sure what the problem was, but if
wicd works for you then great.

Matthew Polashek 06-01-2011 10:16 PM

Dell Latitude D630 Wireless

Nah, Wcid wasn't the solution, it was the backports installation. That
put in a bunch of no-longer-included kernel modules. (depreciated?)

Gustin Johnson 06-01-2011 10:33 PM

Dell Latitude D630 Wireless

The iwl3945.ko kernel module exists in all of my installed kernels
(both the stock Ubuntu and custom 2.6.39). Not sure what to say
there. Maybe you needed the firmware blob
"/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-3945-2.ucode"?