Old 05-31-2011, 09:56 AM
Janne Jokitalo

Default Professionalism

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 11:37:50AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 00:36 -0400, Mike Holstein wrote:
> > i'll use what i want for my professional needs, and you use what you
> > want.
>
> Mike, that isn't the point. You said that I spread misinformation. I
> simply would explain that you can't recommend Ardour for professional
> usage when you record big orchestras

Not wanting this thread to elaborate further, but I just thought I needed to
point out, Ralf, that professionalism exists outside of recording big
orchestras. Check the meaning of the term. It means doing something for money,
or other means of payment.

I'm fairly confident that ardour is being used in such a manner. It looks like
Mike is actually trying to say that he knows that to be true.

Nothing more to say on this topic, carry on as previously programmed (though I
fail to see how this has anything to do with Ubuntu Studio anymore.)

--
Jaska

Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 12:56 +0300, Janne Jokitalo wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 11:37:50AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 00:36 -0400, Mike Holstein wrote:
> > > i'll use what i want for my professional needs, and you use what you
> > > want.
> >
> > Mike, that isn't the point. You said that I spread misinformation. I
> > simply would explain that you can't recommend Ardour for professional
> > usage when you record big orchestras
>
> Not wanting this thread to elaborate further, but I just thought I needed to
> point out, Ralf, that professionalism exists outside of recording big
> orchestras. Check the meaning of the term. It means doing something for money,
> or other means of payment.
>
> I'm fairly confident that ardour is being used in such a manner. It looks like
> Mike is actually trying to say that he knows that to be true.
>
> Nothing more to say on this topic, carry on as previously programmed (though I
> fail to see how this has anything to do with Ubuntu Studio anymore.)

I got money for 'professional' recordings I did with an elcheapo
Realistic Highball microphone. I won't encourage people to buy this
microphone for professional usage. It's possible to do professional
recordings using this cheap low quality microphone, but the field to do
this is very, very limited. 'Professional' in this context does mean
that a product can be used for averaged professional studio work.
Semantics has to do with the situational context and btw. my English is
very broken. My native language is German.