-   -   External sound device (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/5327-external-sound-device.html)

"Wesley Stout" 11-26-2007 12:44 PM

External sound device

Hey, was wondering what type of external recording device anyone has
had luck with? I am wanting to use Ardour, I am using a laptop with a
sound card that the mic input that is evidently useless. I was
planning on upgrading anyway so just wondering what is working good
for everyone before I buy? Thanks

Wesley

Yvan Vander Sanden 11-26-2007 01:05 PM

External sound device

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 07:44 -0600, Wesley Stout wrote:
> Hey, was wondering what type of external recording device anyone has
> had luck with? I am wanting to use Ardour, I am using a laptop with a
> sound card that the mic input that is evidently useless. I was
> planning on upgrading anyway so just wondering what is working good
> for everyone before I buy? Thanks

I have not compared much, but I am working with the M-Audio Ozone. That
won't be exactly what you want, but I like the idea of having some basic
midi controller at my disposal while working.

Most of the M-Audio USB devices are quite good in my opinion. And
several are supported using the madfu package. (find it on
http://usb-midi-fw.sourceforge.net/ )

Regards,

yvan vander sanden

"Wesley Stout" 11-26-2007 01:28 PM

External sound device

hmm that looks ok not exactly what i had in mind but would not be bad
to have. Let me ask a definate Noob question. My soundcard is junk so
that will take place of it is that correct?

Thanks

Yvan Vander Sanden 11-26-2007 01:41 PM

External sound device

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 08:28 -0600, Wesley Stout wrote:
> hmm that looks ok not exactly what i had in mind but would not be bad
> to have. Let me ask a definate Noob question. My soundcard is junk so
> that will take place of it is that correct?

No. Your sound card will be built into your laptop i guess. This one is
an external usb device. So you'll end up with 2 sound cards on your
system. You can let most programs (those with alsa-support) choose what
card you want to use.

"Wesley Stout" 11-26-2007 01:57 PM

External sound device

Ok thanks that helps. My card works ok for playback but the mic jack
will not work and best I can tell from the forums there isn't much
hope of getting it to work. So that sounds like a good solution or
some other device but that looks pretty cool.