Old 05-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Natty and ICE1712

Hi

for Natty it's the same as it is for Maverick. My Envy24 sound card
doesn't work, even after editing the ICE1712.conf, that btw. now differs
by default a little bit to older versions of this file. I only added
everything that is marked by ######################.
I won't try to fix it by pseudo-disabling PA as I did for Maverick,
because today my dealer sent the RME HDSPe AIO card, hence I should get
it tomorrow morning and using my two Envy24 cards for MIDI should work
without any tweaks.
Anyway, this needs improvement.

spinymouse@natty:~$
diff /mnt/maverick/usr/share/alsa/cards/ICE1712.conf /usr/share/alsa/cards/ICE1712.conf
35,40c35,57
< type route
< ttable.0.0 1
< ttable.1.1 1
< slave.pcm {
< type hw
< card $CARD
---
> type asym
> playback.pcm {
> type route
> ttable.0.0 1
> ttable.1.1 1
> slave.pcm {
> type hw
> card $CARD
> }
> #### fix PA issue ####
> slave.format S32_LE
> ######################
> slave.channels 10
> }
> capture.pcm {
> type route
> ttable.0.0 1
> ttable.1.1 1
> slave.pcm {
> type hw
> card $CARD
> }
> slave.channels 12
42,45d58
< #### fix PA issue ####
< slave.format S32_LE
< slave.channels 10
< ######################
63a77
> slave.channels 10
85a100
> slave.channels 10

OT:

I'll build a kernel-rt. I guess test scenarios like this are
meaningless: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RealTime

On-board HDA Intel at 44.1KHz, 64 frames/period, 2 periods/buffer = 2.9
ms latency? This is what a really good card is able to do when using a
kernel-rt. Never ever an integrated HDA surround sound device has the
capability to do this duplex for a real audio session, with or without a
kernel-rt. I often read about 3 periods/buffer and many issues.

The fix latency anyway is completely irrelevant for most usages. Jitter
and sync for the channels are important.

Cheers!

Ralf