-   -   GNOME theme Where is ...? How to ...? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/530552-gnome-theme-where-how.html)

Ralf 05-25-2011 04:17 PM

GNOME theme Where is ...? How to ...?

Maverick:

What file(s) to restore, to get back a lost custom GNOME theme?

I need to restore the settings for my Maverick's "Appearance
Preferences". When I saved the "Custom" theme, something went wrong, now
the theme is lost. I do have a backup of the complete OS. I need to know
which files I have to restore. This happened when I was comparing
something with the settings for Natty.

Natty:

How can I switch the windows minimize, unmaximize and close buttons from
the right to the left side?

-- Ralf

Mike Holstein 05-25-2011 04:22 PM

GNOME theme Where is ...? How to ...?

What file(s) to restore, to get back a lost custom GNOME theme?

I need to restore the settings for my Maverick's "Appearance

Preferences". When I saved the "Custom" theme, something went wrong, now

the theme is lost. I do have a backup of the complete OS. I need to know

which files I have to restore. This happened when I was comparing

something with the settings for Natty.

Natty:

How can I switch the windows minimize, unmaximize and close buttons from

the right to the left side?

-- Ralffor UI issues like that, i usually suggest making a different user account, logging in, and checking the settings. if all is well as the new user, then its safe to assume its a config issue with the current user. you can start renaming and/or moving .gnome directories, and seeing which is causing the issue, and decide if you want to start from scratch, or try repairing whatever it is you have changed that is *causing the issue.*

MH
http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/http://wnclug.ourproject.org/

Scott Lavender 05-25-2011 04:38 PM

GNOME theme Where is ...? How to ...?

How can I switch the windows minimize, unmaximize and close buttons from

the right to the left side?

Here is a link that walks through it:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13535/move-window-buttons-back-to-the-right-in-ubuntu-10.04/

*

-- Ralf

Ralf 05-25-2011 05:21 PM

GNOME theme Where is ...? How to ...?

On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 12:22 -0400, Mike Holstein wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Ralf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>
> wrote:
> Maverick:
>
> What file(s) to restore, to get back a lost custom GNOME
> theme?
>
> I need to restore the settings for my Maverick's "Appearance
> Preferences". When I saved the "Custom" theme, something went
> wrong, now
> the theme is lost. I do have a backup of the complete OS. I
> need to know
> which files I have to restore. This happened when I was
> comparing
> something with the settings for Natty.
>
> Natty:
>
> How can I switch the windows minimize, unmaximize and close
> buttons from
> the right to the left side?
>
> -- Ralf
> for UI issues like that, i usually suggest making a different user
> account, logging in, and checking the settings. if all is well as the
> new user, then its safe to assume its a config issue with the current
> user. you can start renaming and/or moving .gnome directories, and
> seeing which is causing the issue, and decide if you want to start
> from scratch, or try repairing whatever it is you have changed that is
> causing the issue.

In this case it's possible to restore the user's home directory
completely. This would take less time then trial and error. I only will
lose 2 days of Firefox history etc., if I won't omit some configurations
and one picture also would get lost. The picture is the only file I need
to copy, before I overwrite this home directory completely. This seems
to be the less time-robbing solution. I hoped hat there is just one
configuration.

-- Ralf

Mike Holstein 05-25-2011 05:23 PM

GNOME theme Where is ...? How to ...?

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Ralf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 12:22 -0400, Mike Holstein wrote:

> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Ralf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>

> wrote:

> * * * * Maverick:

> * * * * What file(s) to restore, to get back a lost custom GNOME

> * * * * theme?

> * * * * I need to restore the settings for my Maverick's "Appearance

> * * * * Preferences". When I saved the "Custom" theme, something went

> * * * * wrong, now

> * * * * the theme is lost. I do have a backup of the complete OS. I

> * * * * need to know

> * * * * which files I have to restore. This happened when I was

> * * * * comparing

> * * * * something with the settings for Natty.

> * * * * Natty:

> * * * * How can I switch the windows minimize, unmaximize and close

> * * * * buttons from

> * * * * the right to the left side?

> * * * * -- Ralf

> for UI issues like that, i usually suggest making a different user

> account, logging in, and checking the settings. if all is well as the

> new user, then its safe to assume its a config issue with the current

> user. you can start renaming and/or moving .gnome directories, and

> seeing which is causing the issue, and decide if you want to start

> from scratch, or try repairing whatever it is you have changed that is

> causing the issue.

In this case it's possible to restore the user's home directory

completely. This would take less time then trial and error. I only will

lose 2 days of Firefox history etc., if I won't omit some configurations

and one picture also would get lost. The picture is the only file I need

to copy, before I overwrite this home directory completely. This seems

to be the less time-robbing solution. I hoped hat there is just one

configuration.

-- Ralf

sounds like you are answering your own questions.. enjoy*