Old 05-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Sound cards (Was: no sound

On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 12:48 +0200, Robert Klaar wrote:
> Any Rme card is good, although they're a bit expensive. Didn't have to
> do a thing to get my hdsp 9632 working.

Hi Robert

the main reason to switch the sound cards is the audio sound quality.
I'm able to pay around 700,- EUR / 800,- EUR (right now, regarding to my
"profession", I usually don't have any money). Btw. I noticed that not
only my sound cards do cause loss. When recording soft synth just by
JACK, without the sound cards being involved, there's a loss for the
sound quality too! And soft synth already do sound less good than real
old synth. Unfortunately those real old synth can break and there're no
microchips available to repair those synth, resp. they are hard to get,
very expensive and without warranty.

My two TerraTec EWX 24/96 needs to be replaced, before I don't have got
the money anymore. FWIW S/PDIF doesn't work for my Ubuntu Studio with
the TerraTecs, hence I can't use "good analog IOs" that would be
available via S/PDIF. Btw. "good analog IOs" in this context does mean
consumer DAT Sony DTC-670 and Aiwa HD-S1, both are without any loss of
sound quality, when listening by my consumer equipment. At least good
consumer sound quality is what I expect of a "professional" sound card,
even if internal Linux there still would be loss caused by JACK or
caused by what issue ever. Once Brauner borrowed me a Mac with a Motu
firewire device. This devices sound quality and the Mac's sound quality
accomplished this requirement! No, I'm not using Brauner microphones for
my home studio , all I need is good consumer sound quality.

Two question about the RME card, I'll read more about sound cards later
and during the weekend and maybe I'll order a card next week.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?xsid=294c1645e0e16b761c35fa8f9ebce c51&sw=HDSP+9632&x=0&y=0

At a max of 4 analog IOs? The unbalanced breakout cables are part of the
product content?

Cheers!

Ralf

Old 05-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Thomas Orgis

Am Fri, 20 May 2011 13:54:57 +0200
schrieb Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>:

> When recording soft synth just by
> JACK, without the sound cards being involved, there's a loss for the
> sound quality too!

Wait a minute... could you explain that? You have a loss of quality compared to live playback of the soft synths (using JACK?) when playing back a recording taken from JACK? A recording that preserves 32 bit floating point sample format (heck, or 24 bit integer) and the sample rate, of course?

I have to wonder what you did there to alter the data from the soft synth. I mean ... we're talking bit-exact copy here, aren't we? Can you present a test setup to observe that issue?

Alrighty then,

Thomas.