Old 05-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Karl Giesing

Default Xfce

My two cents:

I haven't looked at Xfce in a long while, so I thought it was getting long in the tooth. I did a little research, and it's apparently not true at all. In fact, a new (and VERY updated) version just came out in January.

While I haven't actually tried it yet, it seems very easy to use. It certainly seems more intuitive than Gnome3 for those users switching from Mac or Win, if that's a priority.

I also like it because it is lighter on system resources than its competitors, and that's pretty vital for an A/V distro.

If we made the switch, would this mean that UbuStu would have its "parent" distro be Xubuntu, rather than Ubuntu? Or is it that ubuntustudio-desktop would assume vanilla Ubuntu, and make the switch when you install it (e.g. downloading Xfce and dependencies at that point)? I'm not a distributor by any stretch of the imagination, so I don't know how that would work.

Also - though I don't know of any offhand, are there any apps that require Gnome to work? Probably not audio, but I could possibly see some issues with video editing apps.

In any case - if it is possible to still have the old Gnome2 ubuntustudio-desktop package in the repos, even without any changes or support, then I would suggest this be done. At least in the interim, until everything gets sorted. Obviously that's additional work, so it's understandable if it's not a high priority.

-Karl.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Mike Holstein

[...]

thanks for starting a new thread Karl... actually, i thought keeping a gnome2 config around would be easy at first. Scott Lavender has officially inquired about the availability of gnome2 in the official repos for 11.10, and actually, they plan to have it removed by then (surprise). i was assuming we would have a cycle or 2 to default to gnome2 if we wanted. anyways, this means we would need to customize a metapackage for gnome3, and test it, and make it available. thats probably not going to happen. and from my testing, even in 'fallback mode', gnome3 is quite a departure from gnome2, so im pretty sure this will not answer the main argument of "i dont want to change DE's". im confident that if a small group of users wanted to get involved and maintain a gnome3 or unity based metapackage (ubuntustudio-desktop-gnome or ubuntustudio-desktop-unity) that would be welcomed. the team right now is not of the size to facilitate maintaining those packages.

MH
http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/http://wnclug.ourproject.org/