Old 05-16-2011, 10:16 AM
jONE

Default SFX library - Search

Hi everyone,
I've got a big SFX library which grows every day. The main trouble is that just searching for files in Nautilus only brings them up by name.*Does anyone know of a searching method that can include metadata, xml and not just file names?*

Or even better an open source alternative to Sound Miner? I could use Pro Tools for this, but most of my sound design is done on my linux box!
John

Old 05-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Erik Rasmussen

Hopefully someone has a better solution than this, but I wonder if the Google Desktop Search for Linux would search that metadata on your hard drive for you? **http://desktop.google.com/linux/

Not familiar with Sound Miner, but once in a while I'll use www.FindSounds.com

Old 05-17-2011, 06:34 AM
Thomas Orgis

Am Mon, 16 May 2011 08:32:31 -0500
schrieb Erik Rasmussen <MailForErik@GMail.com>:

> Hopefully someone has a better solution than this,

Isn't this what all this semantic desktop / desktop search stuff in KDE4 is for? Nepomuk, Strigi ... etc? Many people are annoyed that it consumes resources (Strigi managing a search index of your disk), but perhaps here is someone who wants to use this? Mind, though, such background search services you do not want to have running wild while recording audio... even the good old locatedb update is not desirable.

Hm, seems that you _can_ have this stuff on a Gnome desktop, too (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strigi).

Alrighty then,

Thomas.