Old 05-13-2011, 04:48 PM
C K

Default *Official Announcement:* Ubuntu Studio is switching to XFCE.

After various discussions, investigation and tinkering the Ubuntu
Studio team have decided to re-base the project on XFCE. The team
simple feel that Unity and GNOME-Shell do not fit our target audience
or intended workflow.

We will be working toward using a custom UI which will feature Avant
Window Navigator prominently over top of XFCE. As usual, new art and
packages will be introduced as well.

We will also be working to ensure a smooth upgrade path for current
GNOME users is possible.

--
-Cory K.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Kenneth Koym

C K:
* in lay terms what's meant by XFCE?
Ken

Old 05-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Anthony Hall

Good news! Always liked xfce - even for newer machines. The lighter the better.
*
Can you also remove the feature that forces Libre Office. I want open office. Libre office wont open pdf's.
*
Nice work guys.
*
Anthony Hall.

After various discussions, investigation and tinkering the Ubuntu
Studio team have decided to re-base the project on XFCE. The team

simple feel that Unity and GNOME-Shell do not fit our target audience
or intended workflow.

We will be working toward using a custom UI which will feature Avant
Window Navigator prominently over top of XFCE. As usual, new art and

packages will be introduced as well.

We will also be working to ensure a smooth upgrade path for current
GNOME users is possible.

--
-Cory K.

Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.
Marie Curie

Old 05-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Erik Rasmussen

What is XFCE?http://www.xfce.org/
Simple explanation...

Instead of using the Gnome desktop that Ubuntu Studio uses today, or the KDE desktop environment that KXStudio uses, we'll be using the Xfce desktop environment. *What does that mean? *Menus will look a little bit different and some of the default apps will be different. *Xfce is touted to require fewer system resources than Gnome or KDE, but it can basically run all the same apps as Gnome or KDE. *My personal opinion is that it may not be as visually polished as the Gnome desktop, but it is very similar, seems more stable than KDE, and what it may lack in eye candy it seems to make up for in being lightweight, fast, and reliable. *I'll miss Gnome, but I think we'll all adjust quite easily because the main nuts and bolts of doing things is just like the traditional Gnome that we're all used to.

Explanation from*http://www.xfce.org/about

"Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for UNIX-like operating systems. It aims to be fast and low on system resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly.

Xfce embodies the traditional UNIX philosophy of modularity and re-usability. It consists of a number of components that provide the full functionality one can expect of a modern desktop environment. They are packaged separately and you can pick among the available packages to create the optimal personal working environment.

Another priority of Xfce is adhereance to standards, specifically those defined at*freedesktop.org.

Xfce can be installed on several UNIX platforms. It is known to compile on Linux, NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, Cygwin and MacOS X, on x86, PPC, Sparc, Alpha..."