Old 05-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Janne Jokitalo

Default PPAs and other add-ons

On Sat, May 07, 2011 at 05:19:24AM -0500, Kenneth Koym wrote:
> Hi: Whereas I cannot join your 7 AM developer meeting due to another major
> medical, let me reiterate I've faced many crashes and losses of valuable
> non-developer productions using PPA add ons i.e., falkTx's kxstudio
> 10.04.02. I strongly urge Natty developers to devise means for the
> non-developers who continually depend on your great work to in all means
> possible, find some ways to separate final products from products that
> remain under testing.

I don't understand this at all. Are you proposing us to take actions on the
mechanics of Ubuntu infrastructure?

You do realize that we have no means to stop users from adding additional
repositories, which bring untested software that affect the system stability?

If you do, then could you please elaborate a little further of your intentions?

--
Jaska

Old 05-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Scott Lavender

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Janne Jokitalo <astraljava@kapsi.fi> wrote:

On Sat, May 07, 2011 at 05:19:24AM -0500, Kenneth Koym wrote:

> Hi: Whereas I cannot join your 7 AM developer meeting due to another major

> medical, let me reiterate I've faced many crashes and losses of valuable

> non-developer productions using PPA add ons i.e., falkTx's kxstudio

> 10.04.02. I strongly urge Natty developers to devise means for the

> non-developers who continually depend on your great work to in all means

> possible, find some ways to separate final products from products that

> remain under testing.

I don't understand this at all. Are you proposing us to take actions on the

mechanics of Ubuntu infrastructure?

You do realize that we have no means to stop users from adding additional

repositories, which bring untested software that affect the system stability?

If you do, then could you please elaborate a little further of your intentions?

--

Jaska

I second Janne's statements and would like to add to them.

Your statements seem a little incredulous so I am presuming that you are perhaps unaware or lack understanding of a few items.* Perhaps some information has been misrepresented to you.* In either case, I apologize in advance if I am being pedantic with the following:

KXStudio 10.04 is an independent distribution that uses Launchpad PPA's as it's repositories for package updates.* KXStudio's only direct link to Ubuntu Studio is that KXStudio is a derivative of Ubuntu Studio.

KXStudio and Falktx's PPA's are not directly affiliated with the Ubuntu Studio project.* His work does not represent the Ubuntu Studio team, nor do we represent his work [1].* If you have not done so, then I would suggest that you speak directly with Falktx about this situation as he may be able to help you or possibly prevent this from happening to others.

It is a user's choice to install applications from a third-party PPA.* The Ubuntu Studio team does not routinely test how any particular PPA will affect the system.* Therefore, it is the responsibility of the user for his/her system's behavior if they choose to install from a PPA.

Ubuntu Studio officially releases its final product as an ISO image at the end of each release cycle.

Throughout the release cycle Ubuntu Studio makes available daily images along with periodic alpha and beta images for testing purpose only.* The contrast between final and testing images is clearly delineated by the URL/website (/daily versus /release) as well by the means they are announced..

I hope this helps you understand Ubuntu Studio's position in relation to KXStudio and PPA's in general.* If anything is unclear or needs further explanation please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,

ScottL

[1] I believe Falktx is doing tremendously progressive and innovative work. I am duly impressed and amazed by KXStudio.*