Old 05-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Victor henri

Default Spectrum3d : software that displays the harmonics of the sound in 3D

Hello Mike

Hello

I'd like to introduce Spectrum3d, a new software that displays harmonics of the sound in 3D, with openGL.

Audio source can be the microphone or an audio file, and it is Jack compatible. Optionally, it can be run in real-time when not runing with Jack; also optionally, it can receive multitouch input (either from touchscreen, or from touchpad).

X represents frequencies, Y represents amplitude of each frequencies and Z represents time. The perspective can be changed either by rotating or by translating the display around or along the 3 axis without limitations.

Here is a quick link to a demo video :* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCVxDNbcqRE

It can be found here : http://www.presences.org/download/spectrum3d-0.2.2.tar.bz2

And here is a link to a tutorial explaining how it works : http://www.presences.org/spectrum3d_tutorial_en.html

It is free and under GPL licence. It uses the Gtk+, SDL, OpenGL, Gstreamer and uTouch-Geis free librairies. It works on Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10 and 11.04, but should work on other distributions also.* It is still beta; testers are welcome. Thank you for your attention.

Victor

************ very nice victor.. is this yours? are you submitting it up to debian?*

Yes I did it myself; i didn't submit it anywhere but I would be very happy to.
Do you think they could be interested? i thought maybe start with Ubuntu since it is the sytem I'm working on. On the other hand, I think that in Debian the Xorg implementation doesn't allow multitouch input for now ( but it can work in the testing branch AFAIK); but the 'mutitouch' is not the main feature of the software...

Victor

Old 05-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Victor henri

Hello Aradnix

> O_O wow Congratulations:

Thank you

> I think the develpoment for Ubuntu Studio is very hard, because I see there is really few people working on it, and because is very difficult to follow each release that Cannonical launches. Perhaps it's only my imagination.

I'm not involved in ubuntu Studio develepment, though I'm willing to help; but i can imagine that's a hard work indeed

I> n the last FLISOL's edition a friend mine who is musician presented a custom distro he did for musicians and talking about Ubuntu studio he thinks the rt kernel is not so pulished and debugged as should and he talk about the audio and the control did it whit the same tool that Ubuntu, something he considers not helpful for audio production and well it makes me thinks a lot of things about it.

I t seems that having a rt kernel working is already very difficult; I believe there is already really hard work behind this... Furthemore, in my humble opinion, the preempt kernel becomes more and more interesting...

> And all this is because I think tools like yours and others should take part of this distro, developed for multimedia creation. I'm not sure how many distros for this task exist, I know this one and fedora Design Suite that it's for me not so complete as Ubuntu studio, but I feel this is a sector where we need to work a lot yet for can compete with professional solutions in other SOs.

Thank you for your comments

Victor

Old 05-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Ralf

OT regarding to Spectrum3d.

On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 11:03 +0200, Victor henri wrote:
> I t seems that having a rt kernel working is already very difficult; I
> believe there is already really hard work behind this... Furthemore,
> in my humble opinion, the preempt kernel becomes more and more
> interesting...

Building the kernel-rt ourself isn't difficult! AFAIK the only known
issue is regarding to the proprietary nvidia driver, which anyway could
cause issues for harder real-time.

It's correct, that more and more of the rt-patch occupies the vanilla
kernel, anyway, it's untrue that a real-time kernel can be replaced by a
preemtion only kernel.

It's correct, that just doing audio work with Ardour2 is without
problems, regarding to hard real-time issues, but if you wish that MIDI
event recordings should have a proper timing, like an analog recording
of a really good musician, than you need a kernel-rt + jack from svn
etc.. A lot of people think that it's impossible that a MIDI event
recording could preserve the groove of a very gifted musician, well,
that's a half-truth. MIDI nearly is possible to do that. Most people
aren't able to hear that MIDI isn't able to do it perfectly. What people
are able to hear, as a less good timing, is jitter. They guess that the
sequencer does play too correct, human touch should be missing, but
that's wrong. You don't need to quantize MIDI events and if hard
real-time works, it's very close to a real musician or an audio
recording. Unfortunately most of the PCs are unable to do hard real-time
and jitter will break the groove. For less gifted musicians it might
sound like the timing is to perfect, but this is wrong, it's bad timing
caused by jitter, that makes MIDI breaking grooves.

I don't like the statement that a PREEMPT kernel could replace a PREEMPT
RT. Even the PREEMPT RT should do harder real-time. Note that on
multi-tasking OS real-time seldom is real-time. The kernel-rt, ASIO etc.
don't do, what's called hard real-time. Hard real-time usually is done
by old computers and stand alone sequencers, e.g. the C64, Atari ST.

Btw. JACK2 from svn is able to do MIDI hard real-time, when using the
kernel-rt. Without JACK2 from svn, there's no chance to get this! Of
cause, I'm talking about hw MIDI and not about soft synth (Or do you
guess Hexter does sound like an old DX7 in the brown metal case? Any
analog synth emulation does sound like e.g. an Oberheim Matrix-1000? I
do use those and other old faithful synth. Btw. I'm a guitarist not a
keyboarder .

2 cents,

Ralf

Old 05-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Victor henri

Hello Bob

> Victor,
> I'm very interested in checking this out, but I'm not
> finding ppa's for
>
> libgtk+...

You are probably looking for libgtk2.0-dev package, which is in the official packages of Debian ( http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libgtk2.0-dev ); if you install this, you should have all it's dependencies installed with it.

You do not need anyaditional* PPA for Spectrum3d : everything should be in the repositories (with an exception for Geis : it is in the repo for Natty; for Debian, I think it is not available yet unless you build it yourself from sources in the *testing* version only)

Please let me know if you have any trouble and thank you for your interrest

Victor

Old 05-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Victor henri

Hello Brian and thank you for your interest

> Just installed your software today, Victor, and it is wonderful! In
> fact, so wonderful that I already have a feature request. Would it be
> possible to add an option to eliminate the Z-axis entirely, and just
> have a 2-dimensional front view? If I'm using software such as this
> to, say, test frequency response while mastering, I find I really
> don't have a lot of need for the Z-axis.

This is already implemented actually : just set the 'Depth' scale (at the lower right of the command interface) to 0, and you'll get a 2d view. If you click on the 'Front view' you should have the good perspective for what you're looking for.

However, note that there are already other software that show a front view only, such as JAAA or JAPA.

> On a final note, your INSTALL document is fantastically written. If
> only all programmers took the time to write instructions this
> detailed.

I did my best. I'm happy that it is usefull :-)

Victor