Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Mike Holstein

Default Spectrum3d : software that displays the harmonics of the sound in 3D

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Victor henri <nadaeck@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hello

I'd like to introduce Spectrum3d, a new software that displays harmonics of the sound in 3D, with openGL.

Audio source can be the microphone or an audio file, and it is Jack compatible. Optionally, it can be run in real-time when not runing with Jack; also optionally, it can receive multitouch input (either from touchscreen, or from touchpad).

X represents frequencies, Y represents amplitude of each frequencies and Z represents time. The perspective can be changed either by rotating or by translating the display around or along the 3 axis without limitations.

Here is a quick link to a demo video :* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCVxDNbcqRE

It can be found here : http://www.presences.org/download/spectrum3d-0.2.2.tar.bz2

And here is a link to a tutorial explaining how it works : http://www.presences.org/spectrum3d_tutorial_en.html

It is free and under GPL licence. It uses the Gtk+, SDL, OpenGL, Gstreamer and uTouch-Geis free librairies. It works on Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10 and 11.04, but should work on other distributions also.* It is still beta; testers are welcome. Thank you for your attention.

Victor

very nice victor.. is this yours? are you submitting it up to debian?*

MH
http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/http://wnclug.ourproject.org/

Old 05-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Aradenatorix Veckhom Vacelaevus

O_O wow Congratulations:

It looks very nice, in fact I'm involved in a proyect where we use OpenGL and you can do a lot of interesting things. I use Ubuntu studio since the old LTS version (8.04) I enjoy it and now I'm using also Ubuntu and sometimes Debian or Fedora.

I think the develpoment for Ubuntu Studio is very hard, because I see there is really few people working on it, and because is very difficult to follow each release that Cannonical launches. Perhaps it's only my imagination.

In the last FLISOL's edition a friend mine who is musician presented a custom distro he did for musicians and talking about Ubuntu studio he thinks the rt kernel is not so pulished and debugged as should and he talk about the audio and the control did it whit the same tool that Ubuntu, something he considers not helpful for audio production and well it makes me thinks a lot of things about it.

And all this is because I think tools like yours and others should take part of this distro, developed for multimedia creation. I'm not sure how many distros for this task exist, I know this one and fedora Design Suite that it's for me not so complete as Ubuntu studio, but I feel this is a sector where we need to work a lot yet for can compete with professional solutions in other SOs.

Cheers:
Aradnix

Old 05-08-2011, 04:11 PM
"Bob Hamil"

Victor,
I'm very interested in checking this out, but I'm not
finding ppa's for

libgtk+...

I'm using the latest xfce based on debian.

I found this:

deb http://hadret.rootnode.net/debian/ experimental main

but it doesn't produce libgtk+-dev in synaptic.

I have downloaded a tar-gz,
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+2.0/2.20.0-0ubuntu4
but I can't find -dev in it (not very familiar with
source installs), and would rather install in a
package manager.

Any help would be welcome.

Thank you,
Bob Hamil
231-499-3352

Old 05-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Brian David

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Victor henri <nadaeck@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'd like to introduce Spectrum3d, a new software that displays harmonics of
> the sound in 3D, with openGL.

Just installed your software today, Victor, and it is wonderful! In
fact, so wonderful that I already have a feature request. Would it be
possible to add an option to eliminate the Z-axis entirely, and just
have a 2-dimensional front view? If I'm using software such as this
to, say, test frequency response while mastering, I find I really
don't have a lot of need for the Z-axis.

On a final note, your INSTALL document is fantastically written. If
only all programmers took the time to write instructions this
detailed.

Thanks for you work!

--
-Brian David