-   -   tar command (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/522330-tar-command.html)

Ralf 05-04-2011 11:44 PM

tar command

Does anybody know something about tar?

Very interesting, I deleted a broken Maverick-Natty-Upgrade-Install by
# rm -r *, then I copied a backup archive and restored Maverick from the
backup by tar xzf *, restoring Maverick takes between 3 and 4 minutes
only.

How is this possible?

The restored Maverick seems to be ok, at least Email etc. is ok, the
size, 6.76 GiB is correct.

An amazing voodoo trick.

I didn't know that it's that fast.

Mac 05-05-2011 12:00 AM

tar command

tar has been around for as long as *ux.

So it's had plenty of time to mature.

As with many of the vintage *ux cammand line utilities it can be cryptic
and not necessarily intuitive to use.

Mac

Gustin Johnson 05-06-2011 03:56 PM

tar command

This worked because the MBR, partition table, and file systems were
intact. What you were doing was a simple file copy (tar can preserve
file permissions) so that the only real obstacle was disk I/O.

If you have a more serious failure, a simple tar will not be enough.