Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Tom Poe

Default install 11.04 on desktop

I need an OS that recognizes media in my CD/DVD
drive, and lets me play DVD and CD with VLC media player.* Are
there instructions that I should use to reformat my hard disc and
install the ubuntustudios?

Thanks, Tom Poe, Eden Valley, MN

Old 05-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Mike Holstein

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:09 PM, Tom Poe <tompoe@meltel.net> wrote:

I need an OS that recognizes media in my CD/DVD
drive, and lets me play DVD and CD with VLC media player.* Are
there instructions that I should use to reformat my hard disc and
install the ubuntustudios?

Thanks, Tom Poe, Eden Valley, MN

you can do all of that with plain old ubuntu (no need for ubuntustudio)... i usually suggest trying the live CD that can be obtained from*http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download and seeing how the system runs "live" before installing to the hard drive... the installer is very intuitive and pretty much walks you through the process painlessly... feel free and ask if you have specific questions... you need to work out how to boot your machine from CD (usually a simple bios setting) but this setting is specific to your machine type, and i cant really tell you exactly how to achieve that, however, with most machines, booting CD first is a default setting... as far as playing most commercial DVD's, you cant do that with an out-of-the-box install of ubuntu... for information on why that is, check out*https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/ and how to get DVD playback if you choose go to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs ... the idea of ubuntustudio is more for creating media, but ubuntutstudio has the same sources as *ubuntu and you can add the necessary software to play DVD's with it if you choose... enjoy

MH
http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/http://wnclug.ourproject.org/

Old 05-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Adam Behnke

I found running the install disc to install pretty easy overall, not very tricky at all. If you find you're missing some codes, checkout medibuntu.org, but 99% of what you need is in "ubuntu restricted others" in synaptic package manager.* If you have a more specific question like dual booting, I can help you further.