Old 05-01-2011, 05:16 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default 'A new version of Ubuntu is available. Would you like to upgrade?'

'Welcome to Ubuntu 11.04 'Natty Narwhal'

I'm on Edubuntu 10.10 (Maverick) + Ubuntu Studio meta packages. Is it safe to upgrade the version, even if some software is self build + a cheap trick to disable pulse audio? OTOH, excepted of fluidsynth-dssi, there's nothing from third party repositories on this install.

I would backup Maverick before upgrading, but I anyway would like to read about experiences, regarding to Ubuntu version upgrades.

--
Ralf

Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 AM
Anthony Hall

I have used the upgrade feature on ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04 without hitch. I do not like the new 'enlightenment' desktop as much of the features Im accustomed to are hidden behing an icon. I think enlightenment is nothing short of awful.

*
Ive now switched to the very latest Ubuntu studio 11.04 and its frankly superb. In my opinion, this is the Jewel in Ubuntu's crown.
*
So previous updates ran smoothly, regular ubuntu 11.04 is ghastly and Ustudio as a standalone is amazing.
*
Anthony.

'Welcome to Ubuntu 11.04 'Natty Narwhal'

I'm on Edubuntu 10.10 (Maverick) + Ubuntu Studio meta packages. Is it safe to upgrade the version, even if some software is self build + a cheap trick to disable pulse audio? OTOH, excepted of fluidsynth-dssi, there's nothing from third party repositories on this install.

I would backup Maverick before upgrading, but I anyway would like to read about experiences, regarding to Ubuntu version upgrades.

--
Ralf

When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."

Stephen King