Old 04-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Anthony Hall

Default Wireless connection.

It has to be said.. Ubuntu Studio is by far and away the best operating system Ive ever used. It looks good, it feels good, its very well crafted and suits me in every way bar one!
*
What I don't get is why something this good doesnt come packaged with a simple wireless set up like the regular ubuntu.
*
Im actually installing it right now on whats going to be my new Home Theatre PC. Even as I do, I know in a short while Im going to be disconnecting my wireless and dragging the ethernet cable over just so I can update synaptic then install wicd.

*
Like I say its elegant and beautiful, just a shame about the wireless. Oh well mustn't grumble. World class software for free is a good deal.
*
Still 'Spoil the job for a ha'peth o' tar' springs to mind
*
Peace all.
*
Ant
--

"I’ve always felt that a person’s intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic."* - Lisa Alther

Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 AM
Dave The Happy Singer

Hi Anthony (and all: this is my first post).

I find it easier to install vanilla Ubuntu, then the Ubuntu Studio metapackages over the top. This solution assumes you're happy with your PC being a general-purpose box as well as a creative machine and you aren't aching for some specific boost only an Ubustu installation gets you. That way you inherit all the working-out-of-the-boxiness of Ubuntu and get the creative packages on top.

Dave The Happy Singer

Old 04-27-2011, 03:09 AM

On Apr 26, 2011 12:27pm, Anthony Hall <hall.johnanthony@googlemail.com> wrote:
> It has to be said.. Ubuntu Studio is by far and away the best operating system Ive ever used. It looks good, it feels good, its very well crafted and suits me in every way bar one!
>
> *
>
> What I don't get is why something this good doesnt come packaged with a simple wireless set up like the regular ubuntu.
>
> *
>
> Im actually installing it right now on whats going to be my new Home Theatre PC. Even as I do, I know in a short while Im going to be disconnecting my wireless and dragging the ethernet cable over just so I can update synaptic then install wicd.
>

> *
>
> Like I say its elegant and beautiful, just a shame about the wireless. Oh well mustn't grumble. World class software for free is a good deal.
>
> *
>
> Still 'Spoil the job for a ha'peth o' tar' springs to mind
>
> *
>
> Peace all.
>
> *
>
> Ant
> --
>

> "I’ve always felt that a person’s intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic."* - Lisa Alther

Hi Anthony,

Starting with Natty, Ubuntu Studio will ship with the same network package that vanilla Ubuntu uses. Therefore, I would expect Ubuntu Studio Natty to be a better experience for you in regards to wireless setup.

ScottL--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 04-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 11:44 +1000, Dave The Happy Singer wrote:
> I find it easier to install vanilla Ubuntu, then the Ubuntu Studio
> metapackages over the top.

+1

I installed a Ubuntu Studio that is a PITA.
I installed Edubuntu, then the needed Ubuntu Studio packages and it is
working like a charm ... not by default, regarding to some well known X
issues and a missing RT-kernel.

Anyway, I still have some issues.

- Most of the times I manually need to run 'pon dsl-provoider' after
startup
- The mouse-wheel almost never works
- S/PDIF doesn't work
- even turning off pulseaudio completely kept some issues
- The kernels default frequency scaling does automatically change from
'performance' to 'ondemand' after a session was started. A no go,
because for a lot of audio apps this will cause xruns, even without
CPU load + without much use of the memory.

I'm not fine with obsolet audio apps for a Studio distro, e.g. the
oldish envy24 control instead of mudita.

On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 18:27 +0100, Anthony Hall wrote:
> It has to be said.. Ubuntu Studio is by far and away the best
> operating system Ive ever used. [snip]
>
> Im actually installing it right now on whats going to be my new Home
> Theatre PC.

That's the problem with Ubuntu Studio for me. It might be a very good
consumer OS for a Theatre PC, but it needs a lot of tweaking to become a
OS for productions. Of course, I'm talking about at least about
sophisticated home recording, where zero jitter and proper sync etc. is
needed.

Missing WLAN = missing additional electric smog definitively isn't an
issue for a studio distro, because such stuff IMO has no business in an
av studio.

2 Cents,

Ralf