Old 02-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Joseph Wakeling

Default Ogg/MP3 encoding at very high bitrates

Hello all,

I listen to a lot of classical and otherwise complex music, so I'm
concerned that when I rip CDs I get a very high-quality result.

By default I'd therefore use FLAC but I'm curious about the very high
quality level (say -q 9 or -q 10, that is, round about 300+ kB/s) ogg
and MP3 encoding and how it compares. Partly just theoretical curiosity
about the algorithms and how they work at different levels of
compression (what data does it remove at these high bitrates?), partly
an "is it worth it" question about lossless compared to high-bitrate
compared to not-so-high bitrate encoding.

So, could someone comment?

Many thanks,

-- Joe