FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Studio User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-26-2007, 12:01 AM
Matthew Polashek
 
Default *Something Fun* Help me build a mobile recording box.

Ardour works great for this. You have to consider portability. I
built one like this, but it's OSX.

http://tinysongs.com/RackBitch/RackBitch-Pages/Image1.html


On Nov 25, 2007, at 7:43 PM, Cory K. wrote:

> Hi kids.
>
> Something that got me involved in Ubuntu Studio was the hope that one
> day I could build a 16-track, portable (in a road case), Ardour-based
> recording setup.
>
> I do think it's been sad that I haven't had time to actually _use_
> what
> I'm helping to create. (though $ is a factor as well. isn't it
> always)
>
> So here's a fun little topic. I'm looking at putting together
> something
> I can wheel around in a road-case.
>
> I *think* I need:
>
> * 16-track capable recording. (maybe 2 Delta 1010s or LTs?)
> * Mixer
> * Road case (maybe something from http://www.cases.tv)
> * 3U rackmount PC case (maybe
> http://www.rackmountmaster.com/rm-4170-4u-ipc-rack-mount-case.html)
> * Mics (normal list containing SM57/58s to start)
>
>
> I _know_ I'm missing a couple of things like the PC guts. I pretty
> much
> have that covered. From the screen on down.
>
> I'm looking to record _real_ instruments. So keep that in mind as
> well as money. I'm not looking to be cheap here but I know Ill be
> spending money here. Upwards of 5k or more I guess?
>
> So, discuss.
>
> --
> Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
> Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users


--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 11-26-2007, 01:10 AM
"Cory K."
 
Default *Something Fun* Help me build a mobile recording box.

Matthew Polashek wrote:
> Ardour works great for this. You have to consider portability. I
> built one like this, but it's OSX.
>
> http://tinysongs.com/RackBitch/RackBitch-Pages/Image1.html
>

Cool! What do you use it for? Is that a 19" case?

What do you guys think about this mixer?
http://www.mackie.com/products/1604vlzpro

A big thing I have to look at is whether I can fit it all in 1 case. I'm
really liking something like: http://www.cases.tv/poptopracks.jpg but I
have to make sure a mixer (like that Mackie) would fit on top.

-Cory m/

>
> On Nov 25, 2007, at 7:43 PM, Cory K. wrote:
>
>> Hi kids.
>>
>> Something that got me involved in Ubuntu Studio was the hope that one
>> day I could build a 16-track, portable (in a road case), Ardour-based
>> recording setup.
>>
>> I do think it's been sad that I haven't had time to actually _use_
>> what
>> I'm helping to create. (though $ is a factor as well. isn't it
>> always)
>>
>> So here's a fun little topic. I'm looking at putting together
>> something
>> I can wheel around in a road-case.
>>
>> I *think* I need:
>>
>> * 16-track capable recording. (maybe 2 Delta 1010s or LTs?)
>> * Mixer
>> * Road case (maybe something from http://www.cases.tv)
>> * 3U rackmount PC case (maybe
>> http://www.rackmountmaster.com/rm-4170-4u-ipc-rack-mount-case.html)
>> * Mics (normal list containing SM57/58s to start)
>>
>>
>> I _know_ I'm missing a couple of things like the PC guts. I pretty
>> much
>> have that covered. From the screen on down.
>>
>> I'm looking to record _real_ instruments. So keep that in mind as
>> well as money. I'm not looking to be cheap here but I know Ill be
>> spending money here. Upwards of 5k or more I guess?
>>
>> So, discuss.
>>
>> --
>> Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
>> Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
>>
>
>
>

--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 11-26-2007, 01:34 AM
Matthew Polashek
 
Default *Something Fun* Help me build a mobile recording box.

I use this rack for mobile recording of my R&B band. 16 tracks at a
time. That is a 19" calzone 20-space rack case with shockmount.

I like the 1604 VLZ Pro but I had one with my band and it died.
Warranty was out. We bought an allen and Heath Mixwizard 3 16-2 and
it sounds sooooo much better and has 16 direct outs as well as inserts.

Unless you're running sound as well as recording, you don't need a
mixer. Just get some pres or A/D converters to put in front of your
interface. Something like an RME 9652 and 3 behringer ADA8000 s will
give you 24 channels.

Many 16 channel mixers are rackmountable so you an get ears and get
one of those racks with a slant rack top.


On Nov 25, 2007, at 9:10 PM, Cory K. wrote:

> Matthew Polashek wrote:
>> Ardour works great for this. You have to consider portability. I
>> built one like this, but it's OSX.
>>
>> http://tinysongs.com/RackBitch/RackBitch-Pages/Image1.html
>>
>
> Cool! What do you use it for? Is that a 19" case?
>
> What do you guys think about this mixer?
> http://www.mackie.com/products/1604vlzpro
>
> A big thing I have to look at is whether I can fit it all in 1 case.
> I'm
> really liking something like: http://www.cases.tv/poptopracks.jpg
> but I
> have to make sure a mixer (like that Mackie) would fit on top.
>
> -Cory m/
>
>>
>> On Nov 25, 2007, at 7:43 PM, Cory K. wrote:
>>
>>> Hi kids.
>>>
>>> Something that got me involved in Ubuntu Studio was the hope that
>>> one
>>> day I could build a 16-track, portable (in a road case), Ardour-
>>> based
>>> recording setup.
>>>
>>> I do think it's been sad that I haven't had time to actually _use_
>>> what
>>> I'm helping to create. (though $ is a factor as well. isn't it
>>> always)
>>>
>>> So here's a fun little topic. I'm looking at putting together
>>> something
>>> I can wheel around in a road-case.
>>>
>>> I *think* I need:
>>>
>>> * 16-track capable recording. (maybe 2 Delta 1010s or LTs?)
>>> * Mixer
>>> * Road case (maybe something from http://www.cases.tv)
>>> * 3U rackmount PC case (maybe
>>> http://www.rackmountmaster.com/rm-4170-4u-ipc-rack-mount-case.html)
>>> * Mics (normal list containing SM57/58s to start)
>>>
>>>
>>> I _know_ I'm missing a couple of things like the PC guts. I pretty
>>> much
>>> have that covered. From the screen on down.
>>>
>>> I'm looking to record _real_ instruments. So keep that in mind as
>>> well as money. I'm not looking to be cheap here but I know Ill be
>>> spending money here. Upwards of 5k or more I guess?
>>>
>>> So, discuss.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
>>> Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
> Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users


--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 11-26-2007, 01:49 AM
"Kim Burgess"
 
Default *Something Fun* Help me build a mobile recording box.

I'm currently running a setup basically the same as what you described. It currently consists of an AMD x2 3800+, 2gb ram, 1T of raid space, RME 9652, Focusrite Octapre LE, behringer ADA8000 (when clocked to the RME the converters aren't to bad, just crap pres) and a behringer ultramatch pro (once again, clocked to the RME its great for samplerate conversion on digital sources and has another 2 A/D D/A's it it). All mounted in a 10U flight case.


As Matthew said you're not going to need a mixer unless you are wanting to submix on the input chain. So far this setup has proved extremely usable and having the RME gives me plently of headroom on my ins so I can simply hire more converters when needed.


Price wise you'll find that if you look around you can pick up a lot of the gear you need for pretty decent second hand / special prices. For example. the RME set me back AU$465 inc postage of ebay, and there are still places where it retails for round the AU$1600 mark. If you want advice on any specific gear or your setup in general check out
www.gearslutz.com, 'low end theory' is useful, 'hi end' is great for a drool.
................................................
Kim Burgess

P**+61 7 3366 8971

M**+61 4 2339 9187
E**phreaksaccount@gmail.com
--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 11-26-2007, 01:51 AM
"Cory K."
 
Default *Something Fun* Help me build a mobile recording box.

Matthew Polashek wrote:
> I use this rack for mobile recording of my R&B band. 16 tracks at a
> time. That is a 19" calzone 20-space rack case with shockmount.
>

Cool.

> I like the 1604 VLZ Pro but I had one with my band and it died.
> Warranty was out. We bought an allen and Heath Mixwizard 3 16-2 and
> it sounds sooooo much better and has 16 direct outs as well as inserts.
>
> Unless you're running sound as well as recording, you don't need a
> mixer. Just get some pres or A/D converters to put in front of your
> interface. Something like an RME 9652 and 3 behringer ADA8000 s will
> give you 24 channels.
>

Not the 1010s? Other links?

> Many 16 channel mixers are rackmountable so you an get ears and get
> one of those racks with a slant rack top.

One thing I forgot was a pair of speakers. :

My whole plan for this is to do demo recordings in bands practice spaces
or maybe more.

--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 11-26-2007, 02:11 AM
Matthew Polashek
 
Default *Something Fun* Help me build a mobile recording box.

The 1010s are fine, but the RME is more stable and more highly
regarded, plus you can upgrade the pre and the converter as you go.
The only way to get a signal into the 1010 is via an unbalanced 1/4"
plug which is potentially noisy, especially for recording in on-
location spaces where discrete power sources are not a priority.
Chances are, however, you could get really great results with the
1010s. It's just a risk I wouldn't take. I'd rather have Adat I/O
and put whatever converter I want on there.

I think M-audio makes decent stuff, but their best stuff is firewire
and not easily linux-able.

RME makes the nicest linux-able stuff.

Echo Audio makes some decent things as well and some are Linux-able.


I'd suggest getting a great pair of closed back headphones to mix
with. (Like the Sonys) You can always patch into a rehearsal room PA
for play back and you definitely don't want to feed what you are
recording back through the air onto an audio track. The de-facto best
speaker for monitoring is the Yamaha NS10. These are no longer made
so you'll have to find a pair used. Typically these are driven with a
hafler amplifier. That's the setup you'll find in almost every major
studio anywhere in the world. I've listened to the Event PS8XLs and I
like them. I think they're pretty accurate. I've also heard the
Mackie 824s and I think they're great, but you can't beat the Yamahas
for accuracy and consistency.



On Nov 25, 2007, at 9:51 PM, Cory K. wrote:

> Matthew Polashek wrote:
>> I use this rack for mobile recording of my R&B band. 16 tracks at a
>> time. That is a 19" calzone 20-space rack case with shockmount.
>>
>
> Cool.
>
>> I like the 1604 VLZ Pro but I had one with my band and it died.
>> Warranty was out. We bought an allen and Heath Mixwizard 3 16-2 and
>> it sounds sooooo much better and has 16 direct outs as well as
>> inserts.
>>
>> Unless you're running sound as well as recording, you don't need a
>> mixer. Just get some pres or A/D converters to put in front of your
>> interface. Something like an RME 9652 and 3 behringer ADA8000 s will
>> give you 24 channels.
>>
>
> Not the 1010s? Other links?
>
>> Many 16 channel mixers are rackmountable so you an get ears and get
>> one of those racks with a slant rack top.
>
> One thing I forgot was a pair of speakers. :
>
> My whole plan for this is to do demo recordings in bands practice
> spaces
> or maybe more.
>
> --
> Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
> Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users


--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 11-26-2007, 05:49 AM
Asmo Koskinen
 
Default *Something Fun* Help me build a mobile recording box.

Cory K. kirjoitti:
> So, discuss.
>
>

Here are few examples, especially KarmaPod:

http://www.ai.sri.com/ajh/audio/hd-recorder-project/
http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/KarmaPod.html

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 11-27-2007, 01:50 AM
"::surian::"
 
Default *Something Fun* Help me build a mobile recording box.

firewire sugestion:
the mackie onyx 1640 mixer, has a firewire i/o card that sends 18 independent channels 24bit/96KHz
and it's
supported by ffado

I never used it, but looks nice

--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 11-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Oscar
 
Default *Something Fun* Help me build a mobile recording box.

2007/11/26, Cory K. <coryisatm@nc.rr.com>:
*** * 3U rackmount PC case (maybe
******http://www.rackmountmaster.com/rm-4170-4u-ipc-rack-mount-case.html)



Hi Cory,
Maybe you don't want to buy new pc guts, but for people looking for something a bit more compact take a look at these systems:
http://www.pyramid.de/en/products/oem/desqflex.php


We got one at work to build a server and they are very well built and very silent, and fit perfect inside this cases:
http://www.gatorcases.com/productsdetail.aspx?LID=1&PID=20


The custom front panel work they do is also very cool

--
Oscar Morante
GPG: CA7417FF

"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience." - Frank Herbert.
--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:10 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org