-   -   newbie with a problem.. (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/497-newbie-problem.html)

11-19-2007 01:03 PM

newbie with a problem..

Hi all. I'm very much a newbie, and I've been making music on Ubuntu for a
couple months now, even though I don't know as much about Linux as I
probably should. My usual setup is to have up to 8 or 9 amSynths,
sequenced in Seq24, and maybe Creox for special effects, running on Jack.
Up until recently I couldn't get amSynth to work in real time so I just
ran it not in real time and put up with the clicks and static.

Finally I got tired of this, reinstalled Ubuntu and got Jack and amSynth
working together in real time (it took me a day and a half, but I managed
it!) Now the sound quality is beautiful... if I only open 4 or 5 instances
of amSynth. But if I open more than that, my laptop makes a horrible noise
and freezes, and the only way I can shut it off is to take the battery
out.

I spent some time trying to figure out why this happens and finally
twigged that the Jack panel shows its CPU usage. When I play just one
amSynth the CPU usage is 41%, and for 5 amSynths it's a massive 82%, which
explains why my computer freezes. So it seems my computer just isn't fast
enough to do what I want it to do :-( So my questions is, is there
anything I can do to fix this, short of buying a faster computer? Would it
help if I got a better soundcard? I don't mind spending some money to fix
this if I have to, though obviously I'd rather get the computer I already
have to work if possible. My laptop is an IBM Thinkpad T40, 1.50 GHz, and
the soundcard is a Radeon Mobility 7500.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated,
Katie.

"David Adler" 11-19-2007 01:59 PM

newbie with a problem..

> Finally I got tired of this, reinstalled Ubuntu and got Jack and amSynth
> working together in real time (it took me a day and a half, but I managed
have to work if possible. My laptop is an IBM Thinkpad T40, 1.50 GHz, and
> it!) Now the sound quality is beautiful... if I only open 4 or 5 instances
> of amSynth. But if I open more than that, my laptop makes a horrible noise
> and freezes, and the only way I can shut it off is to take the battery
> out.

No idea about the freezes, normally jack starts producing xruns when
overloaded, but does not freeze the hole computer

> I spent some time trying to figure out why this happens and finally
> twigged that the Jack panel shows its CPU usage. When I play just one
> amSynth the CPU usage is 41%, and for 5 amSynths it's a massive 82%, which
> explains why my computer freezes. So it seems my computer just isn't fast
> enough to do what I want it to do :-( So my questions is, is there
> anything I can do to fix this, short of buying a faster computer? Would it
> help if I got a better soundcard?

Geerally, you could increase the number of frames per period in the
settings-window of qjackctl to reduce cpu-usage (and increase
latency).
AFAIK the soundcard has no/very little effect on cpu, so your options
are either trading off cpu-usage with latency (whitch is usually ok
for production) or spending money on a faster cpu if latency is a
concern.

"D. Michael McIntyre" 11-19-2007 09:31 PM

newbie with a problem..

On Monday 19 November 2007, verymeta@riseup.net wrote:
> So my questions is, is there
> anything I can do to fix this, short of buying a faster computer?

1.5 GHz is really underpowered. As suggested, you might be able to trade
increased latency for lower CPU usage. If that isn't satisfactory, the only
way I can think to avoid a hardware upgrade is to record some of the synth
parts as audio files. You can play a lot of audio files for the same amount
of processing it takes to run a soft synth live.

I have no idea what seq24 is like. I took a quick look at its page, and my
impression is that Rosegarden isn't a suitable alternative suggestion.
Rosegarden comes to mind for being able to mix MIDI and audio tracks in the
same application (and because I work there, of course) but it looks like
seq24 is a completely different animal.

I'm not sure what you could do then. Does seq24 sync to JACK transport?
Maybe you could record some of the tracks in Ardour or Rosegarden, and sync
them to play with the live tracks in seq24.

Just random thoughts really, and maybe stupid thoughts. The easiest solution
would be to throw money at it, and get at least double the CPU power at your
disposal. More RAM is always helpful too.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

"David Adler" 11-21-2007 06:38 PM

newbie with a problem..

> I'm not sure what you could do then. Does seq24 sync to JACK transport?
> Maybe you could record some of the tracks in Ardour or Rosegarden, and sync
> them to play with the live tracks in seq24.

Yes, it does sync. Just a bit annoying to re-record tracks if you want
changes but it works well here with two or three softsynths, several
audio-tracks in Ardour, 1.6 GHz and 1.5 GB of RAM, running at 256
frames/period.

regards, david

11-21-2007 08:33 PM

newbie with a problem..

Thanks for all the good advice.. Yup recording tracks and then playing
them back seems to be the way forward for me - not ideal as I like to
twiddle the knobs on amSynth while I'm recording, but in fact I only
usually do this with 2 or 3 amSynths per song so the rest could be
pre-recorded.

I've had a go at this and it's a bit annoying because it's hard to get
everything playing in sync - is there a way I can press one button, and
have Seq24 start playing, and some other piece of software that can play a
pre-recorded track (Ardour, or something else) starts playing at the same
time? (And maybe recording as well?) Sorry if this is a dumb question. I
had a look for a very simple sampler that could just be plugged into
Seq24, and couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
Katie.

"D. Michael McIntyre" 11-22-2007 02:11 AM

newbie with a problem..

On Wednesday 21 November 2007, verymeta@riseup.net wrote:
> I've had a go at this and it's a bit annoying because it's hard to get
> everything playing in sync - is there a way I can press one button, and
> have Seq24 start playing, and some other piece of software that can play a

That's what I was talking about earlier. JACK Transport. The other guy said
seq24 can sync to it. I know Ardour and Rosegarden can sync to it, and I
expect there are others.

Configuration varies by application, but you want to turn on something
like "Sync to JACK Transport" in every application that you want to sync up.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

"David Adler" 11-24-2007 05:40 PM

newbie with a problem..

On 11/21/07, verymeta@riseup.net <verymeta@riseup.net> wrote:
> Thanks for all the good advice.. Yup recording tracks and then playing
> them back seems to be the way forward for me - not ideal as I like to
> twiddle the knobs on amSynth while I'm recording, but in fact I only
> usually do this with 2 or 3 amSynths per song so the rest could be
> pre-recorded.

Seq24 records and sends midi-controller-messages for automatation.
You can see and edit them where the note-on-velocitys are shown by
default. just select the required controller number from the dropdown
menu.
Depending on the synth you are using, parameters have fixed controller
numbers (zynaddsubfx) or free assignable ones (ams, phasex) - don't
know about amsynth.

> I've had a go at this and it's a bit annoying because it's hard to get
> everything playing in sync - is there a way I can press one button, and
> have Seq24 start playing, and some other piece of software that can play a
> pre-recorded track (Ardour, or something else) starts playing at the same
> time? (And maybe recording as well?) Sorry if this is a dumb question. I
> had a look for a very simple sampler that could just be plugged into
> Seq24, and couldn't find anything.

In Ardour you can set the sync mode to jack-transport in the
top-panel (ardour2) or in something like the settings/options window
(ardour)
http://ardour.org/files/manual/ch-synchronization.html

In seq24 there is a tab in the options menu where you can set sync
method to jack-time-master or time-master-conditional (difference? -
both work for me).

Then, starting/stopping any of the apps will start/stop all of them.
Make shure to choose the same bpm-number in all of them.

regards, david