-   -   anyone used a mackie firewire ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/4795-anyone-used-mackie-firewire.html)

greg emond 11-25-2007 05:28 PM

anyone used a mackie firewire ?

hi all, im going to record a band next weekend, and since the drummer wants to use 8 mics for his drums, I will be forced to rent a firewire mixer for the drum recordings.* I contacted my favorite toy rental shop, and the one that would do the job is a mackie.

*

is anyone using this type of setup with ubuntu studio?** is there known issues?

*

I have a delta44 in there, would it be wise to remove it to avoid conflicts?* can I use both the mixer and the delta without creating havoc?

*

last time, I used the delta 44 only, but the drummer felt the drum was not "wide" enough. I feel it was more a mistake from my part (mic placement) but hey, hes the one with the money.

*

any better suggestions?

*

I wish I just could rent a delta 1010, but its not available for rental. -sigh-

Envoie un sourire, fais rire, amuse-toi! Employez-le maintenant!

"Kim Burgess" 11-26-2007 01:29 AM

anyone used a mackie firewire ?

If you are tracking in a decent room you'll find that you can get an awesome drum sound from 3 mics (some good tips here if you haven't done this before at http://www.mercenary.com/3micdrumstuf.html
). If you are going for a multi mic setup chances are you are wanting to have more flexibility when it comes to the mix, however, keep in mind that for every mic you add and every time you tweak an EQ you run the chance of introducing more phase issues, so you will find you are much better off ensuring the kit is tuned to a t, deadened where necessary and sounding its best before you even consider putting a mic near it. If this method works for you you are going to end up with a much better product by investing that hire money in a few decent mics and pres that are going to compliment the kit to its full potential. You'll probably find that the comment about the drum's not being 'wide' enough is due to a lack of early reflections and natural verb in the tracking, as this is what creates the sense of space. When you close mic everything you eliminate / attenuate spill, but you also loose this feeling of space.

Sorry to go on such a rant but I always used to get as close to the source on everything then try to re-create coherent space artificially in the mix but I saw the light and have learned that it is better to spend that extra time tuning the room, experimenting with positioning (of both the mics and the source within the recording space) and tweaking everything in the 'real' world before entering edit and mix land. Basically just remember, you can't polish a turd.

Kim Burgess

P**+61 7 3366 8971
M**+61 4 2339 9187
E**phreaksaccount@gmail.com