Old 11-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Alper

Default Please realize...

What bothers me about Ubuntu Studio is, sometimes things working for the same version of Ubuntu may not work in Studio. For example problems I'm having with wireless and sound. The solutions mentioned at Ubuntu Forums seems to work for Ubuntu, but when it comes to Studio I got stuck after some process.

I'm in love with Ubuntu Studio. I've done a short animation movie entirely on it which will be showed in a festival in a week. At the end I put the name of Ubuntu Studio proudly!

I didn't know so few people are working on it. I'd like to help in anyway. You just lead the way.

Alper

On Nov 27, 2007 5:33 AM, D. Michael McIntyre <michael.mcintyre@rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:

On Monday 26 November 2007, Christopher Stamper wrote:

> So, what needs done? A list would be helpful.

I expect the first thing that really needs doing is to start a list of what

probably needs doing, so everybody can argue about it until nobody winds up
doing anything.

Or maybe that's just at Rosegarden.

I hope.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 11-27-2007, 11:03 AM
"Karoliina Salminen"

Hi,

> So you can see how while we would _love_ to work on the issues that are
> repeatedly brought up but... we need help. Simple. If you want to see
> the things in and around Ubuntu Studio you need to get involved. We only
> have so much time.

I have been lurking around for quite as long as Ubuntu studio has
existed and have not figured out how
to be able to contribute on it other than maybe doing contributions to
software involved which I may not
have enough time. The biggest obstacle seems currently the fact that
the audio software, particularly
midi-audio sequencers, are not in the level of maturity a musician
needs for doing music without just feeling
the pain of creativity (I struggled and tried for about 5 years and
finally decided to get a Mac as I wanted
to get rid of the xruns in the audio and wanted just a simple thing:
record without recording stopping now and
then for xrun, and play the thing back too with similar results. As a
result, after a long time for doing nothing, I have now produced
even some new music lately and also edited some my videos (which was
impossible on Linux as there is no
high definition video editing software for Linux (kino and diva don't
work because they are DV editors and
not suitable for high def (1920x1080)). No xruns and the video is full
definition, no interlace-errors, etc.).
So I see, there is plenty of work to do in the Ubuntu Studio and Linux
audio/video area anyway but how much of that
is directly on the Ubuntu Studio itself is a bit unclear to me, and I
would appreciate if you could elaborate a bit more about it.

So please tell me some concrete thing where you would need help in
Ubuntu studio distribution itself and I might think about it.
Time permitting I would like to help if I am allowed to. My work
laptop and our living room PC are running Ubuntu Studio.
My experience is mainly on area of programming languages (C, C++,
Python) + UI toolkits (Gtk+, Qt, Clutter) +
desktop framework + multithreading & synchronization.

Best wishes
Karoliina
---
http://www.karoliinasalminen.com/blog

Old 11-27-2007, 12:01 PM
"Luis de Bethencourt"

This will more probably be because the kernel in Ubuntu Studio isn't
the same for Ubuntu. That's why the solutions in the Ubuntu Forums
won't always work, specially if they are kernel related like wifi
drivers. But this doesn't mean it can't be done, just that it must be
done differently in some cases.

Luis de Bethencourt

On Nov 27, 2007 10:04 AM, Alper <apuicewing@gmail.com> wrote:
> What bothers me about Ubuntu Studio is, sometimes things working for the
> same version of Ubuntu may not work in Studio. For example problems I'm
> having with wireless and sound. The solutions mentioned at Ubuntu Forums
> seems to work for Ubuntu, but when it comes to Studio I got stuck after some
> process.
>
> I'm in love with Ubuntu Studio. I've done a short animation movie entirely
> on it which will be showed in a festival in a week. At the end I put the
> name of Ubuntu Studio proudly!
>
> I didn't know so few people are working on it. I'd like to help in anyway.
> You just lead the way.
>
> Alper
>

> On Nov 27, 2007 5:33 AM, D. Michael McIntyre
> <michael.mcintyre@rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Monday 26 November 2007, Christopher Stamper wrote:
> >
> > > So, what needs done? A list would be helpful.
> >
> > I expect the first thing that really needs doing is to start a list of
> what
> > probably needs doing, so everybody can argue about it until nobody winds
> up
> > doing anything.
> >
> > Or maybe that's just at Rosegarden.
> >
> > I hope.
> > --
> > D. Michael McIntyre
> >
> > --

Luis de Bethencourt Guimerį
luisbg
<luisbg@ubuntu.com>
GPG: B0ED1326

Old 11-27-2007, 01:05 PM
"Cory K."

Karoliina Salminen wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> So you can see how while we would _love_ to work on the issues that are
>> repeatedly brought up but... we need help. Simple. If you want to see
>> the things in and around Ubuntu Studio you need to get involved. We only
>> have so much time.
>>

> I have been lurking around for quite as long as Ubuntu studio has
> existed and have not figured out how
> to be able to contribute on it other than maybe doing contributions to
> software involved which I may not
> have enough time.

Yes. Thats one way to contribute to Ubuntu/Ubuntu Studio. Work on
upstream applications. But you said you have no time.

> The biggest obstacle seems currently the fact that
> the audio software, particularly
> midi-audio sequencers, are not in the level of maturity a musician
> needs for doing music without just feeling
> the pain of creativity (I struggled and tried for about 5 years and
> finally decided to get a Mac as I wanted
> to get rid of the xruns in the audio and wanted just a simple thing:
> record without recording stopping now and
> then for xrun, and play the thing back too with similar results. As a
> result, after a long time for doing nothing, I have now produced
> even some new music lately and also edited some my videos (which was
> impossible on Linux as there is no
> high definition video editing software for Linux (kino and diva don't
> work because they are DV editors and
> not suitable for high def (1920x1080)). No xruns and the video is full
> definition, no interlace-errors, etc.).

Yes all things we see also but have no control over. Its like asking
Microsoft to fix problems with Premiere. They have no control over it.

> So I see, there is plenty of work to do in the Ubuntu Studio and Linux
> audio/video area anyway but how much of that
> is directly on the Ubuntu Studio itself is a bit unclear to me, and I
> would appreciate if you could elaborate a bit more about it.

Work on upstream applications.

> So please tell me some concrete thing where you would need help in
> Ubuntu studio distribution itself and I might think about it.
> Time permitting I would like to help if I am allowed to. My work
> laptop and our living room PC are running Ubuntu Studio.
> My experience is mainly on area of programming languages (C, C++,
> Python) + UI toolkits (Gtk+, Qt, Clutter) +
> desktop framework + multithreading & synchronization.
>
> Best wishes
> Karoliina
> ---
> http://www.karoliinasalminen.com/blog

Best way to get involved is learn packaging. That is the single biggest
way to improve things in Ubuntu Studio right now. Bug-fixing.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Contributing

ISO testing. https://iso.qa.stgraber.org and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Cases/UbuntuStudioAlternate

Next is documentation. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio

Next is art. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Artwork

We actually do very little programing though we have a small settings
app in development. And I mean small. We should be able to handle it
just fine. Ubuntu Studio Controls -
https://launchpad.net/ubuntustudio-controls

-Cory m/