Old 11-25-2007, 10:50 AM
verymeta

Default ardour - recording while playing a loop

Hi all. Does anyone know if it's possible in Ardour to play a loop in
one track, while recording another track? Obviously, I would want the
recording track to move forward linearly - at the moment, I can get
Ardour to loop all the tracks or none of them, but I can't get it to
loop one track but not another.

Cheers,
Katie

Old 11-25-2007, 06:56 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 25 November 2007, verymeta wrote:

> Hi all. Does anyone know if it's possible in Ardour to play a loop in
> one track, while recording another track?

I don't know if it's possible, but I can't figure out how to do it either.

This job is really easy in Rosegarden. Any segment of any type can be set to
repeat until it bumps into something else.

I want to state for the record that I'm not trying to suggest Rosegarden as an
all-around alternative to Ardour. It really depends on what you need to do.
This particular job is easier, if it's even possible to do in Ardour at all,
but they have a lot of high end functionality we don't even imagine trying to
duplicate.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 11-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Piotr Chrzczonowicz

verymeta pisze:
> Hi all. Does anyone know if it's possible in Ardour to play a loop in
> one track, while recording another track? Obviously, I would want the
> recording track to move forward linearly - at the moment, I can get
> Ardour to loop all the tracks or none of them, but I can't get it to
> loop one track but not another.
>
> Cheers,
> Katie

I think the easiest way will be to record a fragment that is supposed to
be looped and to duplicate it over in another track or in the same one,
just like stated here:
http://www.ubustu.com/globe/2007/09/14/how-to-create-a-basic-loop-in-ardour/

Hope this helps

Old 11-26-2007, 01:33 AM
"Kim Burgess"

What you are explaining would involve multiple independent time lines. This is a feature I have not seen on any audio editor on any platform. The way this is normally done is to duplicate the loop along one track for however long you want it to loop and then record linearly.

Kim Burgess

P**+61 7 3366 8971
M**+61 4 2339 9187
E**phreaksaccount@gmail.com

Old 11-26-2007, 01:56 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 25 November 2007, Kim Burgess wrote:

> What you are explaining would involve multiple independent time lines. This
> is a feature I have not seen on any audio editor on any platform. The way
> this is normally done is to duplicate the loop along one track for however
> long you want it to loop and then record linearly.

Why would it involve multiple independent timelines?

I don't know Ardour very well, but I've done this sort of thing allllll the
time in Rosegarden. (When you suck as a player as much as I do, it's really
convenient to be able to loop the one iteration of something where you didn't
make any really horrible mistakes.)

Record a four-bar riff on a guitar, shrink the segment so it starts and ends
exactly at a barline (if necessary,) toggle the Repeat checkbox in Segment
Parameters, and then you can move 73.25 measure ahead, hit play, and you'll
hear the right audio. You can record over this all day long.

Surely Ardour could do exactly the same thing (and maybe it already does, and
I'm too stupid to figure out how to work it.)

I don't see how the original poster is asking for magic here.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 11-26-2007, 07:09 AM
greg emond

yeah in* ardour, its loop duplicating....just crop the segment you want, and then duplicate it 75 times if you want.. Its a bit more time consuming, but result is same.* Rosgarden is just duplicating without showing you.*** just right click on the selected loop, and then select duplicate, and the number of times desired.... The only bummer is that you have to erase it all when you nailed your part.* oh well, I still love ardour.

*

its very common...you nail that killer riff once in a lifetime, so you duplicate it to death

*

oh and thanks* to kim for the 3 mic advice....I think ill force it down the drummers throat* muahahaha!

*

*

Old 11-26-2007, 12:52 PM
"Karoliina Salminen"

On Nov 25, 2007 1:50 PM, verymeta <verymeta@riseup.net> wrote:
> Hi all. Does anyone know if it's possible in Ardour to play a loop in
> one track, while recording another track? Obviously, I would want the
> recording track to move forward linearly - at the moment, I can get
> Ardour to loop all the tracks or none of them, but I can't get it to
> loop one track but not another.

At least I have not figured out how to do that, but I usually do this:
- copy-paste the loop as many times as I need it on one track
and then
- record the other tracks.

I just copy-paste the loop so many times that I have enough them to
cover the entire song
if I so prefer. I usually do this with drums because my mind is full
of melodies, evolving pads etc.
but when it comes to constructing a drum loop, I usually come up with
something really boring.
So what I do is that I use some boring loop while I am playing &
recording the other tracks
and then replace it with some more interesting loops I pick from my
sample collection (I have several
sample collections full of drum loops). Sometimes I may leave the
boring loop in the background
and sometimes I don't. Maybe I should someday learn to do non-boring
drum loops by myself too...

Best Wishes,
Karoliina
---
http://www.karoliinasalminen.com/blog

Old 11-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Oscar

I've seen this in MOTU's Digital Performer. What they do is to record the audio to the same file but dynamically create regions and stack them for every new loop iteration.

I don't know if this means multiple independent time lines for ardour's implementation, but I think is a good feature to have. And by stacking all the iterations/takes it's easier to select the best fragments from different iterations/takes and get the perfect take with some easy surgery

2007/11/26, Kim Burgess <phreaksaccount@gmail.com>:
What you are explaining would involve multiple independent time lines. This is a feature I have not seen on any audio editor on any platform. The way this is normally done is to duplicate the loop along one track for however long you want it to loop and then record linearly.

Kim Burgess

P**+61 7 3366 8971
M**+61 4 2339 9187
E**
phreaksaccount@gmail.com

Oscar Morante
GPG: CA7417FF

"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience." - Frank Herbert.